IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

As I was researching R2R DAC's to replace my Metrum Octave Mk. II, I came across threads talking about the Denafrips Terminator. One came up for sale near me so I am about to purchase it. I just put a deposit on it and I will pick it up in two days.

I hope it lives up to the hype I have read here and the linked articles. I like my Metrum but I didn't think it was at the same level as the rest of my system. I originally wanted to purchase another Metrum but since the Denafrips came up for sale I figured why not? It will be paired up with my Aurrender N100H as the source. I only play Redbook quality rips of my CD's so this DAC should perform nicely for that.

The beauty of buying used is that it is already burned in as it is 5 weeks old. Hopefully my system will be complete with this purchase. I will give a short review after I have owned it for a couple of weeks.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:48 AM, TubeLover said:

I'm very eager to see what you think of it in your system. I'm also using an N100H, so very interested in how it connects and pairs with that too.

JC

I thought it would take me a few weeks to make a fair evaluation but I only needed a few minutes to hear the difference. Sometimes different doesn't necessarily mean better but in this case it does. Then again it is a DAC that costs five times as much as my Metrum Octave so I expected better sound. What I didn't expect is how much better my system sounds.

It doesn't colour the music in any direction. It feels and sounds quite natural. Some people talk about how the bass is tighter etc but for me everything is just cleaner. It is like there was always a slight haze over the music with my original DAC. Now I hear each instrument and expands the music you are listening to. There is better separation in the music but again it may be because the clarity is much better.

I don't know and can't comment on how it compares to other DAC's in its price range. All I can do is comment on how the DAC sounds to me. This DAC is a keeper and I am finished with my system. No more buying anything, no more chasing a sound. The DAC was the missing piece and I am happy with what I have.

It seems to pair nicely with the Aurender (which is another piece I would never sell). My only complaint is the size of this thing. It is huge. I built a custom stand for my system so really don't have space for it without it looking stupid. Hopefully I will still like this DAC two weeks from know. I can be guilty as the next person who writes glowing reviews on my new acquisitions because of the newness factor and then having to swallow my words a month later.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:37 PM, TubeLover said:

Do you have it connected directly to the Aurender via USB?

JC

Yes, I have the N100H, so USB only. I use an Audio Quest Cinnamon from the Denafrips to the Aurender.

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2019 at 4:42 AM, JamesBardsley said:

How do most people on this Forum connect to the Terminator?

Do you typically use HQPlayer on a PC and link via USB?

I own the Terminator and it is connected by SPDIF from my Aurender Music server. I was using an Aurender USB music server last week but switched over when I did a comparison between the two. The USB was good but the SPDIF is better. This inspired me to purchase an even better SPDIF cable from Audio Sensibility.