IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

Hi Alvin
a question
but how does the terminator treat the dsd signal?
do you convert it to pcm before the exit stages?
thank you

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

On 8/20/2018 at 8:40 AM, alvin1118 said:

DENAFRIPS DAC decodes DSD in its native format.

all the denafrips also the ares? 

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

performing dsd encoding in native mode means that:
natively reads and transfers the output stages?
the signal is not manipulated?
of the filters used (not selectable) how do they work?
like CPLD runs the DSD?
I refer to the ares

in the manual we read:

Depending on the sampling rate of the input signal, the Ares automatically converts it to the most suitable sampling rate of the R‐2R DAC for decoding. Although the R‐2R DAC can decode almost all the sampling rate of the audio signals, but in fact, the actual R‐2R architecture and circuitry design, decided the best sampling rate to sound best that it shall decode. The use of up‐sampling processing converts all digital audio input signal to the predefined sampling rate, so to ensure all kind of audio format can be decoded with the best sound performance.

what is the most appropriate frequency?

it's only one ?

the manual says :

The Ares is equipped with 20Bit R-2R DAC to decode PCM data stream and 32 steps FIR analogue filters hardware decoder to decode DSD data stream. These designs guaranteed the PCM format can be perfectly decoded, at the same time, the DSD format can be perfectly decoded as well. It is rare in the currently market that a R-2R DAC can hardware decode both PCM and DSD formats.

does this mean that the R2R network also decodes the dsd?

thank you

(I apologize for writing not perfect)

sistema:

12 hours ago, Reggy said:

have tried HQ Player and hear absolutely no difference between PCM and DSD

.....you wondered why?....

....is not your dac resampling everything to a single resolution?....

if so, it is difficult to perceive differences .....

11 hours ago, barrows said:

Denafrips to run two completely different converters, and then to be able to switch between them, additionally, they have proprietary oversampling happening onboard (probably in a fairly high power full chip).

one of the unclear things is precisely this ....

the ares has its oversampling, we know that brings everything to 768khz with a series of filters that you can not select .......

and I suppose (at least that Alvin tells us otherwise) that the signal dsd that accepts input does the same thing .... that is all at 768khz.

.....of course I may be wrong ?

sistema:

1 hour ago, barrows said:

No, Alvin mentioned that the Ares decodes native DSD, 768 kHz would not be native DSD.  Like other Denafrips DACs the Ares has both an R2R ladder for PCM conversion and a separate, discrete, DSD conversion stage (likely a discrete FIR filter similar to Jussi's DSC design).  Now since Denafrips does not tell all one does not know if their oversampler also oversamples DSD, but because this DSC style conversion for works better with DSD 4 and DSD 8, it is likely that the Denafrips oversamples DSD to at least DSD 4.

Interesting .......
I would like to know the opinion of Miska (since he has developed the DSC1) .....
( if he has had an ares in his hands ) 
or in denafrips would explain better what the little jewel of the house

?

sistema:

• 2 years later...

thanks Alvin 👌

sistema:

• 2 months later...