IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

On 7/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, mrwiggles said:

Anyone?

I used a Hermes for a hot minute with my Venus II - I already have a USB --> HDMI/LVDS i2S DDC device I was using. Using i2S and HQPlayer, as well as an Rpi4 as the NAA (using the HQP NAA image, very lightweight on the Pi), I was able to get 384 PCM and DSD 256 working, which is the limit of the Amanero Combo384 USB input module on my homebrew DDC using Ian Canada parts. The Hermes - I don't recall the limits, but I was not limited to 192 PCM via i2S. Basically, the i2S input on DF DACs should give you just as much "range" as the USB input - so DSD1024 and PCM x32. 

I can say the combo of a Pi4, a nice, clean power supply for it, and a decent USB cable - forget the DDC for a moment - straight into my Venus II USB input, using HQPlayer PCM 768, Sinc Mx filter, LNS15 noise shaping? It's fantastic. DSD256 is even more impressive spatially, but it takes a hell of a machine to pull off using optimal settings. 

Anyway, this got kinda nerdy and technical, but suffice to say - you should not have any issue with a Pi4 (use a good PSU, I use a battery supply for it), HQPlayer, HQPlayer NAA image, USB out to your DDC, then i2S to your DAC. Or even just go Pi4 USB to the DAC - you may be surprised how good it really can sound. And I was a total USB Audio hater not more than a year ago. DF got it right, trust me.

Full disclosure - I do have another, more expensive DAC from a different brand on order. That's not a function of disliking anything about the Venus II. I never sit still with this stuff, it is what it is.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage