IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

On 13/03/2018 at 3:51 AM, mikicasellas said:

Hello all Denafrips Owners, i pulled the trigger with a Terminator DAC and before it arrives iam trying to figure out what kind of cables and DDC converters should i look into...What are you using with your DACs?:

I use a Curious USB cable but it is too short (now) so i am going to need another one of 70 to 100cm and i have read a lot about the LUSH USB cable, any suggestions, specially for Terminator DAC.

In the other hand if i want to take full advantage of the i2s input on the DAC, which converter are you guys using, does the Matrix X SPDIF 2 works well with Denafrips, is it good?

What type or where can i buy the HDMI cable?

Thanks to all for reading, i hope you can share your experiences

Kind regards to all!!

Hi,

the Terminator USB input is very good. I have compared to my tweaked Singxer SU-1 and the difference is not night and day but my Singxer is a little better. As for the i2s HDMI / AES I don't ear such a big difference but I have a good AES cable and a 30€ HDMI cable.

Some Terminator's owners on a French forum are very happy with this converter based on Amanero:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/LKS-Amanero-Combo384-USB-interface-I2S-RJ45-HDMI-Coaxial-out-DSD512-with-Crystek/132393671402?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140423084956%26meid%3Dffd17cccfb7c47b1aa0bb48b101105e7%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D142024718752%26itm%3D132393671402&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

They have sold their Sotm dx-usb HD.

From some internet readings the LKS and Singxer should be quite close in sound. I don't know the Matrix.

May be the best for you would be to wait as I know that Denafrips is preparing an i2s source to go with their DAC.

1 hour ago, tipunch said:

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for your very interesting comments.
I wait for my Terminator with impatience...
I have a cable USB Phasure Lush, do you think that the I2S is better than the USB in spite of there is not a very good cable I2S (at the moment)? And have you tried a good USB with a ISO Regen vs I2S?

Thanks a lot and best regards.

I have made a test of the USB input using two 20cm Curious Cables coming from my Sotm sms-200 Ultra and a Sotm tx-usbhub in between powered by a Sotm sps-500. The USB input is very good and adding my tweaked Singxer makes a little but noticeable improvement in AES or i2s. The difference between HDMI and AES does not seem to me so great. 

But may be someone else would find it bigger in another context. 

Anyway the Terminator is the first DAC that I own that has an USB input of this quality. All my previous DACs (Mytek 192, Dangerous Source, Audio-gd Master 7) were clearly improved by an USB/AES converter. With the Terminator the difference is not so big. 

• 1 year later...