IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

So does this DAC do true R2R for DSD like the Holo Spring?  If so, I am very curious how they implemented it as I am still not entirely sure how Holo does it.

Also, from a quick scan of the review, it says this DAC can do up to DSD256 only?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

2 minutes ago, Milt99 said:

Firedog, yes the Denafrips does 512 DSD.

By all accounts in order to get the best from the DAC 8 DSD, everything needs to be converted to DSD 512.

A PC capable of running HQPlayer and doing the conversion is not a cheap endeavor plus it won't as of yet work

with a linux NAA like the Rendu products.

Odd that even the website says it does up to DSD256 only.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, k6davis said:

I've got my eye on this DAC too. Every impression of it I've read has been highly favorable and I love an "expensive bargain". ? 

We're nearing the end of Q2 2018, so I'm trying to hold out for the DSD512 DSP board so I can have that included. I use DSD upsampling for everything. Does anyone know how I would get DSD512 into the DAC through its I2s inputs? 

This is great to know!  DSD512 was the only reason why I was not considering this.  Once its released I am going to pull the trigger and compare it to my Holo Spring.

As for I2S, I use the Singxer SU-1 as input into my Spring.  I believe Pink Faun also has an I2S pcie card.  

Does anyone know what "standard" the Denafrips uses of I2s?  Hopefully the SU-1 supports it.

Other components:

1 hour ago, tedevang said:

Running this through an Ultrarendu and Singxer SU-1 via I2S.

Can you please verify the Terminator i2S settings to communicate with the Singxer?

Other components:

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, alvin1118 said:

Hello guys,

My apologies for the delay. I may have good news soon. (hint?)

Alvin w/ ♥️

Good news = bad news for my wallet.  I've been waiting for DSD512 support before I buy this DAC.

Other components:

• 9 months later...
11 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi guys,

Just got my new DSP board installed yesterday. In one word, WOW. Its an exceptional upgrade. The USB implementation is just brilliant. Forget the i2s connection. USB with a good quality cable absolutely thrashes the i2s.

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

The new board is a wonderful upgrade, I will be taking my Singxer SU-6 out of the system now and just using USB input on the Terminator.

Wow thats big praise!  Curious if either of you can try to describe in what ways USB is superior to i2s with the Terminator.

Other components: