IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

My GS108 is 12V with a 2.1 plug

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

Did you do your test will all ports fully active in both directions?

Having run a datacenter full of Ethernet switches and worked with companies producing switches in testing power supplies and usage to see if we could use less.....I would not recommend supplying too little voltage. There is a reason they use a 12VDC power supply if that is what they spec.

For either John or Alex...

I have an isoRegen powered by an LPS-1.  I've made a couple of John's shunts---one for the microRendu and the other for the isoRegen/LPS-1 combo.  My question is regarding the location of the shunt in the isoRegen/LPS-1 chain.  Should the shunt go in at the isoRegen connection or at the connection between the LPS-1 and the Meanwell???

Thanks!

1 minute ago, chetthejet said:

Should the shunt go in at the isoRegen connection or at the connection between the LPS-1 and the Meanwell???

Ground ONLY the Mean Well's zero-volt ("ground")!  Do NOT ground the output of the LPS-1 or you will defeat both its "floating"/isolation feature and the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN. 

B|

42 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes, there is a reason:

So they can supply them with a cheap 500mA $1 wall wart instead of a higher current supply.  Nothing in the box runs from 12V--the chips run 3.3V or even 1.1.   All these things just use switching regulators that run from a range of input voltages.  Give them lower voltage and they just draw a little more current.  That's all.

Then your LPS-1 at 5VDC should work just fine, right? But it doesn't......

The reason is that they needed 12VDC to get the required power to the board to power it when fully utilized.

15 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Then your LPS-1 at 5VDC should work just fine, right? But it doesn't......

Wow, you really want to argue this?  The fact that it is not happy with 5V input simply means that with the synchronous buck regulator chip used, combined with whatever surrounding caps and inductor, 5V falls outside the input range.  There really is very little sophistication in the PS of these cheap switches.

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Wow, you really want to argue this?  The fact that it is not happy with 5V input simply means that with the synchronous buck regulator chip used, combined with whatever surrounding caps and inductor, 5V falls outside the input range.  There really is very little sophistication in the PS of these cheap switches.

So, it was designed for a higher voltage input....wow....they didn't use a 12VDC supply JUST because they were cheap.

This is all quite ridiculous. We don't need an LPS-1 on every DC powered device connected to our audio systems. Just ground the damn zero voltage line after it leaves the SMPS and be done with it.

Now that JS is closing shop on this epic investigation, for the time being I’ll at least assume, ... who is putting their hand up to write & post the summary/take-away?

Self-interest here, because I need to get someone more competent than me to implement, & they’re not going to wade all thru the extensive above.

I’ll start with locating one of those Netgear switches, pronto.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

12 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Now that JS is closing shop on this epic investigation, for the time being I’ll at least assume, ... who is putting their hand up to write & post the summary/take-away?

Self-interest here, because I need to get someone more competent than me to implement, & they’re not going to wade all thru the extensive above.

I though @gstew did a really nice job summarizing and giving practical tips in the first half of this post:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/?do=findComment&comment=735506

10 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

I’ll start with locating one of those Netgear switches, pronto.

Definitely appreciate the patience shown by both John and Alex in answering our questions.

I too will be looking to purchase a Netgear switch, e.g., Fs105,  to insert between my router and PC but wonder how one knows if the switch is V5 or higher per John's recent post particularly buying onnline?

11 hours ago, chetthejet said:

For either John or Alex...

I have an isoRegen powered by an LPS-1.  I've made a couple of John's shunts---one for the microRendu and the other for the isoRegen/LPS-1 combo.  My question is regarding the location of the shunt in the isoRegen/LPS-1 chain.  Should the shunt go in at the isoRegen connection or at the connection between the LPS-1 and the Meanwell???

Thanks!

Thanks, Alex.  So, to confirm, the chain should go Meanwell-->shunt-->LPS-1-->IsoRegen-->Dac??

Alex/John, would the ground wire coming loose off shunt device cause it to interrupt the LPS1 to not power up?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.