IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

On 10/28/2017 at 9:40 PM, Superdad said:

Yes, you got it perfectly!  And your clear summary stands well and very helpful alongside what John and I wrote.  This sort of stuff should be preserved somewhere to be useful to others.

All GREAT questions and ideas Greg!  

It's been a long day so answers and I-don't-knows will have to wait a day or so.  

As usual, you are on the right track.  And we are waiting on photos of your wild web of PS wizardry! :D

Happy Sunday my friend,

--AJC

Absolutely OUTSTANDING set of articles.

This makes me want to think how one (we?) could do a DOE (Design of Experiments) to characterize all this, and understand which "control factors" interact and the impact they may have on the functional response, in this case, low- and high-impedance leakage currents. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

Hi Gang,

I made up my own version of @JohnSwenson's high-impedance ground strap fix. I used the same terminal style male & female DC barrel/terminal plugs. Put two bare copper wires in each as John had orignally shown, attached 18 AWG stranded green silicone insulated wire, then I put a piece of heat-shrink tubing over the plugs/ground strap to give the assembly a little bit of mechanical stiffness. I also used these gray plugs that open from the top to attach the ground strap. These plugs are bit less bulky than the larger yellow ones. 

Ground Strap Tweak.jpg

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

The latest  in my high-impedance leakage current-defeating ground straps: Same DC barrel plug adapters with screw terminals and covered in heat-shrinkable tubing as above. This time, however, I used a Desco Ground Adapter that accepts a banana plug. Soldered on the banana plug, and put on a heat-shrink strain relief. This one will go on my LPS-1 power supply. 

Ground Strap Desco 1.jpg

Ground Strap Desco 2.jpg