IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

27 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Greg

John will correct me on this if I am wrong, but HF noise from an SMPS would be coupled into the secondary side ( the other side of the HF transformer) via the obligatory low value, and high voltage, capacitors that are connected between primary and secondary to meet FCC RF/EMI standards. This would be a high impedance source.

Incidentally, I have been looking at the high voltage leakage from my DTV STB as it connects into my TV and main system.

It hovers around 100VAC from the STB chassis to mains earth, but when the STB is connected via HDMI to the TV it is reduced to Zero.

I have disconnected the STB's  Antenna and coax SPDIF leads to verify this.  The interesting thing is that with nothing else plugged into the TV except the HDMI plug , and even when the TV's  2 wire mains plug is removed from the mains socket, the leakage STILL remains at Zero volts !

This shunting obviously is a good thing , but I am at a loss to see how this can happen.

Alex

7NUrjX.jpg

Alex,

Thanks for the response. Very curious if that's it or if something else is involved. I DO think I understand the need for very high impedance probes to measure it. AND also likely that the high impedance is part of why shunting it to ground works so well. 

Also curious about your DTV STB & TV puzzle. My 1st thought are some high-ohm (50k-1M) resistors across the HDMI inputs to ground in the TV and that this is sufficient to dissipate the  high-impedance leakage in the resistors. 

Curious what John has to say on these questions/puzzles.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

21 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Hi Greg

I can't understand how this can happen where the TV is SMPS powered , and the 2 wire mains plug has been unplugged.

There shouldn't be ANY connection to mains earth at all.

Regards

Alex

Alex,

I'm just musing that with at least some of the components of the leakage being super-high-impedance, a high-impedance resistance across it may not ground it, but in effect short it out.

You could try 1M resistors across the signal pins to ground at the end of the HDMI cable... I can't imagine that would hurt anything, but could demonstrate a possible mechanism.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

3 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

After further listening, plugging in the ground plug and unplugging, my observations are that on my system this DIY grounding has no noticeable effect.

I may be missing something... if so, please forgive me.

I don't see in your post that you were grounding the negative side of SMPS outputs (like the Meanwell). As I understand it, the grounding trick is designed to sharply reduce the amount if 'high-impedance' noised transmitted from the SMPS into the powered unit. 

Is what I'm missing that you were using Meanwells to energize the LPS-1s? 

Or is something else?

Pictures maybe?

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

On 10/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, JohnSwenson said:

Any electrical signal (useful or noise) has a "source impedance". You can think of this as a resistor the signal has to go through before it gets to where you are looking at it. It is an impedance because it can vary with frequency.

As a concrete example, lets say your source has an impedance of 1k ohms, if you apply that to a 1k ohm resistor to ground, the signal level will be cut in half. That is actually how you usually measure output impedance, run the input through a known resistance to ground and measure the level across the resistor, the output impedance acts as a voltage divider with the known resistor, from the resulting voltage you can calculate the source impedance.

For any given "noise source" there is at least one mechanism generating that noise. The mechanism will have a particular impedance associated with it. In many cases more than one mechanism is involved with generating noise, each of these mechanisms may have a different output impedance. There may also be different frequency response issues with the different mechanisms.

This seems to be the case with SMPS, there seems to be at least two different mechanisms that cause the leakage and they seem to have very different impedances. I don't know what those mechanisms ARE, i have not spent time in figuring that out, I'm not really interested in building my SMPS so I don't really care what actually causes it, especially since it will take a LOT of work to find out and I would much rather spend my time working on other things.

Leakage current causes issues in audio systems when it flows through a conductor, creating a voltage across that conductor which causes something to not behave the way you would like it. In some cases this is just directly creating noise on the shield of an interconnect and the receiving circuit sees this as noise. In a DAC this can show up as noise developed on a ground plane that can modulate an oscillator causing increased jitter on the clock.

There are two ways you can attenuate the leakage noise, you can put a resistance in series with it, or you can shunt it. Lets cover both of the separately.

The series resistor form works like this: you have the source impedance and you stick a resistor in series. Lets look at some possible values and outcomes. Say 100 ohm output impedance and you put 1 mega ohm in series, that is going to attenuate the noise drastically. But what if the source is 100 mega ohms, then that 1 mega ohm resistor is not going to do very much (a VERY slight attenuation). So for high impedance series resistor works good for lower impedance source, but not well for high impedance source.

The shunt form works by shunting the source around your source around the "test point", frequently to ground. Say you have the 100 ohm source and you shunt with 1 mega ohm, nothing happens, but of the source is 100 mega ohms, that 100 mega ohm shunt will dramatically decrease the amplitude.

I know the output of the SMPS is a combination of impedances by running a bunch of these shunt and series tests with different values and seeing what I get. The only way to get the results I saw is if the source consists of both high impedance and low impedance components at the same time.

The upshot is that it takes BOTH methods to get rid of the noise, both a shunt and a series.

John S.

John,

Many thanks for the explanation. Once you brought in the term 'source impedance', it all started to make sense!

AND then you had to go and give more details! I now know a lot more about noise production mechanisms and how one goes about detecting them and eliminating them than I ever thought there was to know! VERY USEFUL!!!

DANG, you give great explanations!

Again, THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

1 minute ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Greg, that is exactly what I'm doing.  All my LPS-1's are powered by a meanwell.  So I stuck the spade of the grounding wire to the outside barrel of the lead running from the meanwell to the LPS-1 input.  At the input barrel the spade is attached to the outside of the barrel and plugged in to the input of the LPS-1, trapping the spade onto the barrel. 

Is this not correct?

Thanks for the clarification.

Yup, what you did should ground out that darned old 'high-impedance' SMPS noise. 

Sounds like it is all working as it should to me.

While I now use only linear supplies to power my LPS-1s, I did get my 1st 2 with Meanwells. While I had some issues with buzzing in my setup (where the buzz was induced into a TVC in certain situations), I couldn't hear any difference in the performance of the gear I powered by those LPS-1s whether energized by the Meanwells or a couple of linear supplies. 

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jabbr said:

@JohnSwenson nice investigation ;) 

Help a simple country boy out please: the term “high impedance leakage current” is making me a little dizzy as I try to drink my coffee on this Sunday AM. Impedance isn’t a term normally used to qualify a current so perhaps we should rename this before it takes on a life of its own — you mean “high voltage/impedance” = current ... what is a better term? 

Also these currents are going to be way more important at higher frequencies. I think if a circuit were made available to precisely illustrate the excellent point you are making here (this is all about parasitic capacitances and inductances) this frequency point will be better illustrated. (Yes— high impedance probes are essential when working with RF)

@Jabbr,

Great minds question alike (except one of them hasn't finished his Dual Bank Floating Supercap Supply DIY board yet... hint, hint!).

SO I asked pretty much the same question a few weeks ago:

On 10/1/2017 at 10:57 AM, gstew said:

John,

I don't understand the context & meaning of 'high impedance and low impedance components' of the SMPS noise.

I've never heard of noise having an impedance.

Can you provide some background and definition on that?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

AND John gave one of his textbook clear answers... even a DIY tech like myself understood:

On 10/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, JohnSwenson said:

Any electrical signal (useful or noise) has a "source impedance". You can think of this as a resistor the signal has to go through before it gets to where you are looking at it. It is an impedance because it can vary with frequency.

As a concrete example, lets say your source has an impedance of 1k ohms, if you apply that to a 1k ohm resistor to ground, the signal level will be cut in half. That is actually how you usually measure output impedance, run the input through a known resistance to ground and measure the level across the resistor, the output impedance acts as a voltage divider with the known resistor, from the resulting voltage you can calculate the source impedance.

For any given "noise source" there is at least one mechanism generating that noise. The mechanism will have a particular impedance associated with it. In many cases more than one mechanism is involved with generating noise, each of these mechanisms may have a different output impedance. There may also be different frequency response issues with the different mechanisms.

This seems to be the case with SMPS, there seems to be at least two different mechanisms that cause the leakage and they seem to have very different impedances. I don't know what those mechanisms ARE, i have not spent time in figuring that out, I'm not really interested in building my SMPS so I don't really care what actually causes it, especially since it will take a LOT of work to find out and I would much rather spend my time working on other things.

Leakage current causes issues in audio systems when it flows through a conductor, creating a voltage across that conductor which causes something to not behave the way you would like it. In some cases this is just directly creating noise on the shield of an interconnect and the receiving circuit sees this as noise. In a DAC this can show up as noise developed on a ground plane that can modulate an oscillator causing increased jitter on the clock.

There are two ways you can attenuate the leakage noise, you can put a resistance in series with it, or you can shunt it. Lets cover both of the separately.

The series resistor form works like this: you have the source impedance and you stick a resistor in series. Lets look at some possible values and outcomes. Say 100 ohm output impedance and you put 1 mega ohm in series, that is going to attenuate the noise drastically. But what if the source is 100 mega ohms, then that 1 mega ohm resistor is not going to do very much (a VERY slight attenuation). So for high impedance series resistor works good for lower impedance source, but not well for high impedance source.

The shunt form works by shunting the source around your source around the "test point", frequently to ground. Say you have the 100 ohm source and you shunt with 1 mega ohm, nothing happens, but of the source is 100 mega ohms, that 100 mega ohm shunt will dramatically decrease the amplitude.

I know the output of the SMPS is a combination of impedances by running a bunch of these shunt and series tests with different values and seeing what I get. The only way to get the results I saw is if the source consists of both high impedance and low impedance components at the same time.

The upshot is that it takes BOTH methods to get rid of the noise, both a shunt and a series.

John S.

I hope that helps!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

• 2 weeks later...

26 minutes ago, pgbcincy said:

@JohnSwenson

Concerning Ethernet connection leakage topic: Ever have Baaske MED MI 1005 or EMO Systems EN-70HD or similar network isolation devices on your test bench?  I'm wondering if those address some of the network leakage you describe.  Although these are a more expensive proposition than the Network Switch solution.  TIA.

Paul

Paul,

Search is your friend!

The short answer is yes he has and no they don't.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

29 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Greg, 

Have you tried grounding each of these zones? That's the path I'm on.

Rajiv,

I'm trying some different combinations. So far I've gotten better results grounding the isolator output ->DAC->TVC input AND amp->speaker zones. I have the RPi->Isolator input zone grounded, but need to go back and listen with/without.

I haven't grounded any of the other zones as yet.

ALL of the power supplies on the gear through the DAC are linear supplies, so no high-impedance leakage worries there. AND there are currently 5 LPS-1s in the setup... on the switch (a ZyTEL recommended by my UK friend Dave Bruce, which so far bests one of John's originally recommended Cisco SG100D-08 switches and the Netgear GS605AV switch I originally used, though I need to re-test both powered by an LPS-1), 1 each on the DAC digital and analog supplies, 1 on the RPi isolator board, and 1 on the Kali I2S reclocker.

Lots more experimentation to do here. BUT a significant upgrade I recently did was modifying the 5V Jameco Linear Regulated Adapters I use to power the FMCs (the upstream one directly, the downstream one via a TeckNet 5V USB charging battery that is being charged by the Jameco). I replaced the diodes with some good Schottky diodes, added John Swenson's transformer ringing snubber, increased the size of the raw DC and post regulator capacitors, and added an AC filter cap. AND also added a C-L filter (built in-between an AC plug and socket) that provided the same level of filtering I used in my DIY 4-LPS-1 energizing supplies (and BTW, all of the other computer & networking linear supplies in my setups).

I was inspired to do this by John's comments that the Jameco's have very low low-impedance leakage here:

On 9/14/2017 at 12:58 AM, JohnSwenson said:

I have been doing a bunch of leakage tests on a bunch of power supplies (what I had on hand). I have tested both the Jameco and the iPower, the Jameco has one of the lowest leakage tested and the iPower had the highest, about a million to one difference, that might have had something to do with your observations!

John S.

I could of course try to make them even better with better regulators, but my main rationale was to make them quieter on my AC lines, not make them better on the output side. Both seem to be accomplished based on what I'm hearing.

I'll do a blog post describing the mods at some point when I get some time.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Some may question the wisdom of modifying a roughly $10 adapter. BUT for about 2x the price in good parts & a little time (I did 4 of them on Sunday in about 5 hours), they make nice and easy to site units. The modification is not DIY beginner-level because of the effort and care needed to open the cases, remove the existing parts and position the now slightly larger parts so that you can re-close the cases, but someone who's done a little DIY and solder reasonably well could do them.  AND the sonic improvement over the stock units was significant, even though they were only powering FMCs.

P.P.S. I do plan some switch & FMC mods starting with replacing the switching DC-DC converters with good linear regulators. I'll try replacing the regs in the Jameco adapters when I do that work. I'd been considering this for awhile, but Fob69's posts here have revived my interest:

13 hours ago, fob69 said:

Hi

I just did it.

First, i took them away 6 monthes ago and replace them with an etalon isolator with a huge benefit, and i did add too a long ethernet distance between my switch and my etalon isolator (15m cat6 grounded only on switch side).

15 days ago i did change my internet box on my ethernet network and plug new equipments. I had to admit that even with the etalon isolator and the long ethernet wire, my new network config had downgrade image and timbres. It confirg to my the huge SQ impact of the noise coming from the network equipments (even with galvanic isolations).

I was about to buy linear supply for my new internet box, fiber modem, NAS ...  But before i did try to replug the MC110Cs btween my etalon filter and switch, on switch side.

I did see a good improvement especialy on the image but there was still some network impact on trebles as is was 6 monthes ago when i removed the MFCs (due to the 348kz signal of the PWM component).

Then, considering again the PCB, i found a FAST, CHEAP way to bypass the PWM schitching supply in the MFC : i did unsold the "+" leg of the female jack plug of the pcb, an link it with to basic 2X 1A diods in serial to the PV3V3 hole close to the green electro condo.

Supplied by a standard 5V linear supply, the to diods downgrade the voltage to around 3,5 V just before the regulator, and the switching PWM component is short cutted.

This is the best 1$ upgrade ever.

All my network noise is now invisible from my player with the fiber bridge, and i bypass the switching power that is the main problem with the MFC.

The image ans definition is incredible.

I will post a photo this evening.

B.

Everything Matters!

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Thanks John,

I am curious, what is the theory of operation for the end to end wire? Does it make the cable a poor antenna? 

Adding the tinned copper sleeving and wire to the Lush USB cable this afternoon had a noticably positive impact. I'll do the same to my ethernet and usb 3.1 cables later in the week.

Larry,

See here:

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Cornan said:

Great and very useful reply for me. Thanks a million Greg! ?

I think I will pass using it powering my GI output and go for LT3045 as planned earlier, but powered by Gophert csp-3205II. I might order it anyway when the updated boards (under construction) have been released. It is still a quite useful board for two voltage sources that might come in handy some day.

Thanks for the Dual Audio link as well. Even if I am not looking for a DAC at the moment this one surely goes directly into my collection of interesting purchases (that works with Silent Switcher supplying a Pi3 as well).

BTW. I have got my two 3A Stammheim's single ps LT3045 boards the other day. I will have some time all alone later today and have the chance to try one of the single ps out between Gophert csp-3205II (floating SMPS) and Brooklyn DAC. Will be fun to see how that turns out! ?

IMG_6958.thumb.JPG.42bb3c364e5b80a4753c9fc8cc6a0c40.JPG

Cornan,

Very welcome. Very curious on how Michael's regs work for you. Do remember they take some time to break-in... my experience is that circuits with ceramic caps take about 3 weeks of constant running to finally settle. I have one of Michael's dual-boards powering my SDTrans384 SD Card player. Its been running about 2 1/2 weeks now and starting to sound good... at 1/2 week I put the previous supply (a dual 4||LT3042 board from DIYAudio poster OPC) back in and slightly preferred that. Now I suspect it'd be the other way around (though not by a huge difference... both the LT3042 and LT3045 are great regulators. BUT the in-line ballast resistance of the LT3045 setup is 1/2 of that on the LT3042 setup, so a little less reduction in the 'goodness' of the regulators when paralleled). I power both of these with 2 LPS-1s with each powering 1 side of the dual board. 

I only have Michael's dual boards... he didn't have the 6||LT3045 boards when I ordered them. BUT for low-level digital electronics, the 2 LPS-1s into a dual paralleled LT304x regulator board is the best I've tried. One would need current-matched LPS-1s to do that into the 6||LT3045.

Pix of my build attached. I used different caps than Michael's BOM... I wanted to use the same ones as on OPC's BOM for his boards as I knew they worked well in the setups where I've used them. I also added a couple at the output to make setups more like each other. AND I used fixed resistors instead of the adjustable pots... again to make the two different implementations more like each other so I can get a better feel for the basic differences between 2x4||LT3042 and the 2x3||LT305 boards.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I added a couple of pics of OPC's 2x4||LT3042 boards for comparison.

Then the other boards in the build picture are alternative  reg boards from OPC for powering ES9028/9038/9038 DACs' AVCC rails. Working on implementations of a couple of those. Gotta love building SMD boards!

IMAG6535.jpg

IMAG6536.jpg

IMAG6525.jpg

IMAG6544.jpg

IMAG6545.jpg

Everything Matters!

On 1/12/2018 at 6:30 PM, gstew said:

Cornan,

I bought a couple of these from the initial KickStarter. I've used one to provide the +-15v to a Dial Audio Raspberry Pi DAC (one of my 3 favorites of that genre): https://dial-audio.jimdo.com/

<SNIP>

Cornan,

I'd forgotten I'd posted this about the Silent Switchers awhile back... it doesn't add much, but just shows I have sweetened on them over time.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

On 9/3/2017 at 12:25 PM, gstew said:

hfxrzw,

Curious what you're powering it with.

A bit off-topic... I've got a couple here and have used one to power the +-15V side of a Dial Audio R-Pi DAC. It was ok with the recommended phone charger, a bit better with an iFi iPower 5V, and a bit more better powered from an LPS-1 set to 7V.  BUT using a +-pair of some small shunt regulators (sorta like simplified Salas) powered by a hefty AC-connected linear supply was definitely a step up.

I haven't tried the 3.3V-5V-6.3V output as yet, I'll have to do that and see how it compares to my other options for things like powering an RPi or an RPi DAC.

Jesus, IF you'd like to try one, I can lend you one for awhile. 

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Ted, that lend offer goes for you too, if you are interested. BUT I'm not opening it up to the world at large. sorry!

Everything Matters!