IGNORED

FORGETTING the Digital to Analog conversion part, what is BEST Digital source?

14 hours ago, marce said:

I'd rather listen to music rather than sounds, that the whole point of having any system in my book...

One listens to sounds rather than music when diagnosing what's wrong with a system - when the wrongs are righted, then one can just listen to the music in total comfort, there are no nasty or irritating interludes; it always just flows ...

Thanks Ryan, always good to hear from another manufacturer here.  At Sonore we use measurements, mainly to tell us that we have not made a blatant engineering error somewhere, but otherwise, if we expect to make a cutting edge product (we do) we listen, and work hard to get it "right".

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, adamdea said:

Happy New Year, Mr O: always a pleasure. I seem to remember that there is a technical distinction in perceptual science between illusion and hallucination- is it down to whether it is a result of a properly working system or not?.

A "properly working system" throws up an immensely impressive illusion, one which includes all the intensity and "vibe" of the "real thing" - anything less in capability couldn't even be called a hallucination ... perhaps a good analogy would be a very young member of your family trying to show you magic tricks, that he's learning from a book - you hide your smiles behind your hand, as he fumbles through the moves  ...

37 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

They sounded better in some ways and certainly improved a few other factors in the units (not to mention they were way easier to set up in the shop), but the overall sound quality was definitively worse in other ways and uncharacteristic for Ayre, preventing them from standing out in the market.

In other words, it lacked the Ayre house distortion. If an amp stands out, it's doing something wrong, IMO.

19 minutes ago, mansr said:

In other words, it lacked the Ayre house distortion. If an amp stands out, it's doing something wrong, IMO.

What one is chasing is for the recording "to stand out" - the machinery making it happen must be totally 'invisible' - compare it to the ideal cinematic projection system.

I just want to thank barrows for "Ayre chooses not to use global negative feedback in their circuits" - my emphasis - it is all too rare that people distinguish global vs. all or local neg. feedback

moving on:  Benchmark is using a feed forward circuit in their AH2B

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

I just want to thank barrows for "Ayre chooses not to use global negative feedback in their circuits" - my emphasis - it is all too rare that people distinguish global vs. all or local neg. feedback

What we need is a feedback-and-forth design.

23 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

A fair distinction in general.   However, we do not use only zero global feedback. 

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

I disagree with your assessment. The goal is to be as transparent as possible, not to try and "improve" the music with what the designer may happen to like. 

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

I disagree with your assessment. The goal is to be as transparent as possible, not to try and "improve" the music with what the designer may happen to like. 

I agree with that. But then, how does an amp "stand out"? The goal should be for all amps to sound exactly alike: transparent.

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

I agree with that. But then, how does an amp "stand out"? The goal should be for all amps to sound exactly alike: transparent.

Yes, it should ... the reality is that they don't - simply raising the volume level on many instantly reveals they lack the ability to maintain composure when delivering higher current to the speakers - decades ago, I depaired of coming across any that were capable; these days it is possible to find at least a few ...

24 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

That's not to say that I'm naïve enough to believe that there's not some level of putting a company's "signature sound" in the product, though that's often a result of the overall design the inventors chose.  And of course, other companies may embrace having a "flavor" to the sound: I know my vehicle's audio system is no where near what I would consider clear and transparent...but man is it fun to listen to when I'm on the road.  I'd never let a system like that in my house to relax for the evening, though. 

A system being "fun to listen to" is part of the deal - car audio sometimes gets enough things right for that reaction to kick in - the deficiencies are benign enough not to interfere with that subjective aspect.

The big step upward is for the rig to be "clear and transparent" and "fun to listen to" - getting both in the room at the one time is the big trick - but achieving this makes all the efforts to get there worthwhile ...

On 1/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, sandyk said:

Many manufacturers claim that. However , you would need to check the Data sheets in each case to confirm that one low phase noise type has much better specifications than the other.

Also, it doesn't matter just how good it's specifications are unless it is also powered by a higher quality than typical ,further  isolated power supply, perhaps using S.O.A. voltage regulators, or a Shunt type PSU.

where can you find the data sheet or info on the nt503?  I am just curious if the ethernet part of the nt503 is just as good as sonore...barrows says sonore supports dsd512, but i dont know if that the nt503 supports only up to dsd5.6mhz as result of dac portion or enet portion?

8 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

where can you find the data sheet or info on the nt503?  I am just curious if the ethernet part of the nt503 is just as good as sonore...barrows says sonore supports dsd512, but i dont know if that the nt503 supports only up to dsd5.6mhz as result of dac portion or enet portion?

Unless a manufacturer makes a big deal about them using a special Xtal Oscillator module or other special features such as Ethernet , you are unlikely to find it on their web site. You would need to contact the manufacturer directly .

You may also find this information in the owner's manual, which can often be downloaded by prospective purchasers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Remember sandyk's advice, you have to check the voltage regulators as well, and the PCB layout, and the decoupling caps, and, and, and... the devil is in (all) the details.

At the very least compare the phase noise spec at 10 Hz for the Ethernet clock on the Teac, and the voltage regulators on the board.  And then you can compare those parts to what Sonore uses in the Signature Rendu SE, additionally, does the Teac have a dedicated transformer just for the Ethernet interface?  I bet it does not...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

20 hours ago, fas42 said:

A system being "fun to listen to" is part of the deal - car audio sometimes gets enough things right for that reaction to kick in - the deficiencies are benign enough not to interfere with that subjective aspect.

the great thing about car audio is that driving + car audio can create some synesthesia

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Remember sandyk's advice, you have to check the voltage regulators as well, and the PCB layout, and the decoupling caps, and, and, and... the devil is in (all) the details.

That's the "answer to everything" - scale the concept to include the whole system, and real progress can be made. I don't have a CD player, an amp, and some speakers - it's a single circuit that happens to be an audio playback mechanism; and I troubleshoot until it performs adequately. This perspective is what gave me my original burst of competent sound, and what I have used ever since - take care of anything that may be relevant, and the rewards always emerge.

8 hours ago, barrows said:

At the very least compare the phase noise spec at 10 Hz for the Ethernet clock on the Teac, and the voltage regulators on the board.  And then you can compare those parts to what Sonore uses in the Signature Rendu SE, additionally, does the Teac have a dedicated transformer just for the Ethernet interface?  I bet it does not...

less power supplies and less clocks can also mean less noise and less manufacturing costs...They do advertise torroidal transformers to reduce noise....the biggest question really is, do they get the bits to the dac buffer with less noise, right?

46 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

...They do advertise torroidal transformers to reduce noise...

Toroidal transformers are normally used for their efficiency and low cost.

There are better transformers such as R Core transformers if you want less noise.

Less power supplies/ voltage regulation is a recipe for poorer performance in devices like DACs where for best results you need to separate the power for the Digital and Analogue areas.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

37 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Toroidal transformers are normally used for their efficiency and low cost.

There are better transformers such as R Core transformers if you want less noise.

Less power supplies/ voltage regulation is a recipe for poorer performance in devices like DACs where for best results you need to separate the power for the Digital and Analogue areas.

Does sonore use rcore?

If not, maybe they should try it?