IGNORED

FORGETTING the Digital to Analog conversion part, what is BEST Digital source?

2 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

What noise and interference issues? My system sound clear. It does, however, expose flaws in poorly mastered recordings. A few percent of my albums are recorded and reproduced well enough to sound quite excellent. I evaluate my system's SQ accordingly.

my understanding is that the noise affects SQ in fairly subtle ways, before you would hear it as noise per se

"computer audio" is for people with a mac mini (used maybe) and a disc reader for their CDs - or who can afford a streamer

- it doesn't have to be hard or expensive (for 1st world types)

To get the best SQ may well require some experiments with various DACs, USB Cables, external clocks, etc. but you don't have to go to that level (just as many of us are happy with a lowly $7,000 pre-amp - or even a used $2,500 one - and did not buy a Ref 6.  Or a cheap pair of Maggies or Personas instead of Aida's ($120,000).

A meta-analysis by Reiss of high resolution files vs. Redbook found a slightly significant difference (statistically) - that is the best study I know of so far.  Several people on here have said there were large differences however.

I agree that the differences in recordings or masterings can be much larger than equipment differences.

There are also several people who have come on here and asked about good $250 speakers and so forth.  You don't have to spend a lot to listen to music.

You can start a new thread along the lines of: "Best CD only system for $xxx" etc. and I am sure people will try to help.

• 3 months later...

Oppo is just like Apple - designed in Silicon Valley; made in China

Since I have colleagues in China (and all over the world) the made in the usa thing is not huge for me... besides that one of the grocery stores here has labels for "Local" vs. "Made in this county" as opposed to "foreign" foods made elsewhere in the state...

Let's say it take a good engineer a month to lay out a board - compare the amortized cost per unit for a 2,000 unit run with a 50,000 unit run.  That is the power of a mass market.

If you can build that board into something that has a large market (universal audio + video disc player) then savings can be had.

Who has heard the Oppo-205 and looked inside at what parts were used where (as not all power supplies are as critical as others)?

I am curious how much one would have to spend on a DAC to get better SQ than the Oppo provides?

22 hours ago, barrows said:

We did a private demo a couple of years ago (at RMAF) for some folks who wanted "proof" that USB out of the microRendu would be any better than USB out direct from a MacBook Pro.  We started with the MBP, then went to the microRendu...  It took less than 10 seconds of playback via the microRendu for everyone present to go "I get it now..."  The difference is not subtle.  BTW this was using a DAC with full galvanic isolation on its USB input, the difference with lesser USB inputs is even greater.

You might "believe" this is "highly debatable", but anyone who listens will not.  Keeping  noise out of the DAC is big advantage sonically and easily audible.

how do you think the noise got into the DAC?

I was wondering if EMF could be the issue -- esp. if the noisy radiator is near the DAC.

One thing is for sure - if galv. isolation still allows noise into a DAC, then some additional counter-measures are needed.  I've always wondered why optical isn't used more...

some have said the Benchmark is immune in the sense that it sounds just as good on any input (not measuring results)...

On 1/10/2018 at 11:09 PM, marce said:

Galvanic isolation is to stop a direct current path between equipment, it is not designed to stop noise (though it can breaks ground loops ) it is for protection...

EMC or noise requires more thought and a full understanding of coupling mechanisms and ensuring there are no coupling mechanisms in the gear you are designing... 

ok, if there is no electrical connection (galv. isolation is used, such as opto-isolators) then what "coupling mechanisms" could exist, barring EMR ??

a trivial effect is one that cannot be heard

or, let's go full bore into neurophysiology and neuropsychology and say it is trivial if not only can the listener NOT hear it consciously but it affects the listener in no way whatsoever, even unconsciously

we can use fMR and collect stress hormones from the eye surface to test :D

Barrows, as long as we have you on speed dial on this thread, I have some more questions...

it seems this might summarize part of your comments:

- No interface is inherently better than another.  The critical issue is how the interface is implemented.

So, my question to manf.s is: which interface is easiest and least expensive to implement well?

Thanks.  Next question:

I am using WiFi to transmit Redbook CD rips from another room (iMac with iTunes to an Apple TV3).  This sounds just fine to me, and is capable of revealing crummy masterings, recordings, etc.

Any thoughts on that?

(I have not gotten around to trying a Mac Mini with USB or buying other gear in the digital chain; exception is an Oppo-205 which I use for SACD disc playback, and will become a DAC upgrade (over the Cambridge DACPlus i have now) still using the TV3 for at least a while).  Audio Research LS25 Mk II into a Sunfire amp driving Maggie 3.7i)

how about we take a really thin membrane, sprinkle millions of sensor on it, and wrap it around and around in a spiral?

we could make some of it thicker, wider and then use FFT to analyze what we get with highly parallel processors all over the place

I just want to thank barrows for "Ayre chooses not to use global negative feedback in their circuits" - my emphasis - it is all too rare that people distinguish global vs. all or local neg. feedback

moving on:  Benchmark is using a feed forward circuit in their AH2B