IGNORED

FORGETTING the Digital to Analog conversion part, what is BEST Digital source?

17 minutes ago, Charente said:

Speaking as a non-expert, I may be way off beam, but aren't the 1's & 0's themselves always intact during transmission ? ... it's noise from power, cables etc and other artefacts that screw things up.

If both the noise and the 1's & 0's are just voltage ranges, then no, the 1s& 0s are not always intact.

mQa is dead!

37 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

waiting to hear from experts, but i think there are issues with transmission due to clocking, but error correction plays a role in correcting?  since it is a "stream" timing and receiving is important.....ready to hear and learn more....

What error correction? I didn't think USB audio involved such and, of course, S/PDIF has no error correction.

mQa is dead!

46 minutes ago, barrows said:

No, they will deliver bit perfect audio almost always, unless something is wrong with your settings.  The problem is they will also deliver a lot of noise which can make for problems in the DAC and sound degradation at the output.  As i mentioned before, this why there are audio source solutions like servers and Ethernet renderers with low noise.  I prefer using a very low noise Ethernet renderer with USB output.

Do you mean analog noise like hum?

mQa is dead!

18 minutes ago, barrows said:

No.  Although ground loop hum could be possibly caused by a poorly implemented USB interface.  I mean noise coming over USB and wreaking havoc in the DAC, all of the following are possible reasons:  noise on the ground plane of the USB interface, getting to the oscillators and causing additional jitter (short term clock error).  Noise coupling into analog circuitry and causing intermodulation distortion of analog signals.  Noise coupling into the DAC chip from the ground plane and disrupting internal operations (remember DAC chips are half analog components).

Does this noise manifest itself in the form of current spikes?

mQa is dead!