IGNORED

Does a DAC exist which allows playing from QNAP NAS over ethernet?

Does a DAC or Media Player exist which allows playing from QNAP NAS over ethernet?

I am giving up on usb audio in favor of ethernet.  I am convinced usb sucks, but i want to play DSD files, so i believe I want to sell my USB DAC and go this route?

Suggestions Please??!

Hoping also a nice interface, preferably a browser based application?

On 9/15/2017 at 5:20 PM, beerandmusic said:

...I am convinced usb sucks,....

Please elaborate on why you have come to this opinion, as well as your thoughts on the relative advantages and disadvantages of the alternatives.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

41 minutes ago, tne said:

Please elaborate on why you have come to this opinion, as well as your thoughts on the relative advantages and disadvantages of the alternatives.

MANY MANY MANY reasons!

To start with, If you can improve the sound by using a "usb toy" to eliminate noise, that is enough to begin with to tell you that usb is simply not the ideal solution.

You will find many people that suggest playing an SACD from a player with it's internal DAC sounds better, and from respectable names here.

To "my ears", after hearing all this stuff about usb noise, i decided to buy yet another DAC (tried over a dozen now), and even got one that has galvanic isolation, and has really decent reviews (wyred4sound DAC1v2), and to my ears, optical sounds better using same dac and same source pc. 

THen there are "special cables" that make usb sound immediately apparent better, again from reputable names here.

So maybe you can tweak and poke and get better sound using an expensive DAC, Usb toys, and special cables...but if to my ears, if optical out sounds better than usb to a galvanically isolated usb dac, then there seems little reason to pursue this usb technology any further in my mind.

Many respected names suggest ethernet is the way to go, and imho, I am going to jump on that bandwagon.

40 minutes ago, franz159 said:

You might want to have a look at Merging Technologies.

http://www.merging.com/news/news-stories/merging-innovation-at-high-end-munich-2017

or to Chris interview

But I'm afraid you would have to substantially increase your budget for the dac (at least compared to the Wyred4Sound Dac 1v2.

thanks for the input.....yea, looks expensive, afraid to look further.

I actually think i may have stumbled on something...starting a new post.

I played with SMB when using an Oppo 103 as a streamer and actually preferred it for sound to UPNP/DLNA. The down side was loss of tag information presentation (artwork, song titles) and slow traverse of the library when seeking music. The slow traverse issues should go away with a faster processor/GigE ports but not sure I could live with going back to a DOS like presentation of music library

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...