toetapaudio

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Matias said:

So what is the consensus for a digital system only: Tambaqui directly to a power amp sounds the same, better or worst than Makua+DAC module into the same power amp?

I would expect that answer to likely be dependent upon the specific power amp being used, and how well it performs being driven passively compared to with an active preamp.

My understanding is that the output stage of the Tambaqui DAC is the SAME CIRCUIT as that of the Makua preamp.  If that is actually the case, (which would need to be confirmed by Mola Mola) then the sound from the Tambaqui direct to amp should be at least equal that of using the Makua Preamp.

Despite many claims to the contrary, most DACs these days have an active output stage which is much the same (or exactly the same) as the output stage used in a line preamp. 

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Buffalo PRO or DSC-2--Ncore 400 Stereo-Focus Audio FS888-JL E-112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC cables, Iconoclast XLR, Iconoclast speaker, cables, Synergistic Orange & Hi Fi Tuning Supreme Cu Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.    Design/Build Consultant with Sonore

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, Matias said:

So what is the consensus for a digital system only: Tambaqui directly to a power amp sounds the same, better or worst than Makua+DAC module into the same power amp?

I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to point out that you can feed (copper/not fiber) ethernet directly to the Tambaqui; I don't believe you can do that right now with the DAC module in the Makua (although it seems to be a future goal).   That might be a consideration for some folks.  

10 minutes ago, barrows said:

My understanding is that the output stage of the Tambaqui DAC is the SAME CIRCUIT as that of the Makua preamp.

Another consideration:  The specs for the Tambaqui and the DAC in the Makua are not the same.  Theoretically, though I've not heard both, the Tambaqui should be "better."  

Roon / Mola Mola Tambaqui / Kubala-Sosna XLR / Mola Mola Kaluga / KS biwire / B&W 803 D3

I asked Mola Mola and got:
"Yes indeed the two DAC's are the same, difference between the two is that the Tambaqui employs a digital volume control where the Makua employs an analogue control. Both work very well well but there might be light differences."

So there this implementation difference indeed.

1. Sonore ultraRendu - Uptone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen - Calyx Femti - Monitor Audio PL100
3. Hidizs S8 - Audeze LCDi3

On 1/19/2020 at 7:27 AM, Matias said:

From what I understood the Makua with DAC volume is relay-based and "directly controls the gain of the output stage", while Tambaqui uses the same output stage but always at maximum gain and the volume is digital attenuation only.

I bought an used Makua with DAC. :)

Hi Matias,

Do you happen to know know when Makua will get an upgrade to enable lan streaming? 

John

14 minutes ago, john925 said:

Hi Matias,

Do you happen to know know when Makua will get an upgrade to enable lan streaming? 

John

From what I have learned, the original version of Makua with DAC had an Ethernet port but it does not work for audio streaming. They need to change the hardware in order to upgrade the older Makuas to the current digital input module that is Roon certified. "For this it needs to be updated in the factory in the Netherlands (the boards need changing, this is not a free upgrade nor possible to perform yourself)"

Of course all new Makuas with DAC and Tambaquis already have the latest Roon Ready Ethernet module. :)

Since I do not use Roon I chose not to upgrade my Makua, but I may change my mind in the future. If only they worked with other interfaces (MPD/DLNA, HQ Player NAA, etc).... Fingers crossed here that they decide to support those too, but I have not heard anything about this yet.

1. Sonore ultraRendu - Uptone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7

Thank you for your info, Matias.  I also got a Makua with DAC, but not roon ready.  I use QNAP nas as roon core, so if Makua can support Roon ready via Lan, it will be a nice feature for me.

When updating my unit with the windows updater it says it did not find some modules but the app says everything is up to date. I suppose the app knows better, right?

Capturar.PNG

Screenshot_2020-02-03-23-52-16-625_molamola.app.jpg