IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

Hi Presmara, thanks for your interesting comparisons and welcome to the forum. I’m glad you are liking the Mola Mola Makua pre/dac, we haven’t heard a better dac at any price with comparisons made to the Chord DAVE and Nagra dac’s among others.

I see you are using the Antipodes 3, so USB cables would be important to you. My recommendation without hesitation is the Sablon Reserva Elite USB. Absolutely stunning with the Mola Mola.

Another absolute must have is the Sablon power cable, just staggering with the Makua. This cable is probably the biggest single upgrade I have ever experienced. Feel free to PM me for further details and tips on setting up the Makua for best performance if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, GeorgeFlush said:

Just a little petition...could anyone compare the Mola Mola DAC with Dave and Blu mk2? Blu MK2 is reported to give a nice improvement over Dave.

+1 ... as a Blu2/Dave owner I can confirm the addition of M Scaler technology makes a considerable improvement over Dave alone

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

We are talking £16k for the Chord combo Vs £9k for the Tambaqui. IMO you would be better off with the Mola Mola DAC plus top flight Sablon Reserva USB and power cable (£2k approx) and have nearly enough left over to buy a fidata server (£6k). The fidata is a very special server and is among the very best regardless of price and should be compared with the likes of SMG and MP64, not Innuos or NB.

44 minutes ago, toetapaudio said:

We are talking £16k for the Chord combo Vs £9k for the Tambaqui. IMO you would be better off with the Mola Mola DAC plus top flight Sablon Reserva USB and power cable (£2k approx) and have nearly enough left over to buy a fidata server (£6k). The fidata is a very special server and is among the very best regardless of price and should be compared with the likes of SMG and MP64, not Innuos or NB.

I don't understand the logic as to why I would be better off... I already have Blu2/Dave

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

• 3 months later...
On 26/09/2017 at 2:53 AM, toetapaudio said:

Some, like @romaz, would disagree that Dave with a preamp is necessary and would prefer to use the Dave direct, even without a power amp. The dac direct to speakers set-up I didn’t try because, one, it didn’t occur to me at the time and secondly I wouldn’t have had the cables prepared to make that test. In our system and to us, the Dave benefited by using it with the Mola Mola as preamp. @romaz would argue that that is just putting another unnecessary layer behind the dac. To my ears, when connected to the Mola Mola as a preamp, the Dave gained in more inner musical energy, texture and colour and got much closer to what I preferred about the Mola Mola.

Hi toetapaudio,

Can the Mola Mola Pre/DAC drive high efficiency speakers directly?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

On 28/04/2018 at 4:33 PM, HeeBroG said:

Hi toetapaudio,

Can the Mola Mola Pre/DAC drive high efficiency speakers directly?

@HeeBroG, I have gone back to the factory with that question and expect an answer shortly. We have not tried ourselves. What speakers did you have in mind and what is their efficiency please? What country are you living in?

@HeeBroG

This is the distributors take, Bruno’s comments I will need to wait for:

Using the Tambaqui in this way is not recommended by Mola Mola, even with speakers with 105dB efficiency and with impedance boosters.
The benefit of not having the additional circuitry of a power amplifier in the signal path is offset by the compromised performance of using an
impedance booster and the limited speakers available with high enough efficiency ratings. We would definitely recommend using the Tambaqui
in conjunction with a pair of Kaluga mono power amplifiers. This will then drive virtually any high performance loudspeaker and offer significantly
better performance.

Are owners of Dave using the headphone output as the feed to loudspeakers or the preamp outs? If they are using the balanced or unbalanced
pre amp outputs, then the spec of Tambaqui should be virtually identical as these are reasonably uniform voltage outputs.

@HeeBroG, your thoughts please.

I have Voxativ 9.87 with AC-4F 106dB efficiency drivers.

I'm in Australia.

I am currently driving direct with Chord DAVE. 2W RMS into 8omhs I believe.

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

I am using the preamp RCA outputs so the speaker cables need modification.

I actually "hacked" a short cable length so I can try various cables before I commit to making it RCA on the amp end.

DAVE has balanced outputs as well which I use to drive my powered bass units with line level inputs.

G

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, john925 said:

Hi,

Could you share more on Makua as Preamp only?

Could it be better than Audio Research Reference 5 se?

Thank you.

John

Hos would you define ”better”? If neutrality, transparency, resolution and definition are qualities of high priority, the Makua is certainly superior to the ARC Ref. 5SE or 6.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

@john925, if you are in the UK I can arrange for you to hear a Makua. The Makua is a very versatile pre-amp and is very neutral sounding. It can be fitted with phono or dac modules, as required. Specific settings can be applied for different types of cartridges, so for example if you had a turntable with several pick-up arms each fitted with different cartridges, each one can be set-up individually for optimal performance. Volume control and input selection can be made from your tablet using the app or the remote supplied. Manual selection is also available. Inputs are XLR and RCA. Digital inputs if specified are USB and AES. Outputs are XLR and RCA.

Fit and finish are immaculate, the top and front panel machined from one piece. The Makua is supplied in a solid flight case with a comprehensive set-up manual.

As regards comparison with the Audio Research Reference SE, this is something we haven’t made but we and others have compared the Makua with other pre/dac’s and the Makua has always been preferred. Apart from my Dave comparison (see above) favourable comparisons have been made against dCS, SST, Weiss, Playback Designs, Nagra etc.

If you have any specific questions please ask.

• 2 months later...

Dear toetapaudio and others,

I'm new to this forum and am in the middle of purchasing high-end audio equipment.

Last week I was in Germany where I attended an audio show and had the chance hear the Mola-Mola standalone DAC which was attached to Mola-Mola's power amplifiers, one per channel to the new Vivid Audio speakers. It sounded absolutely fantastic.

Nevertheless, I had - and still have - also interest in a few other DACs but have difficulties in selecting.

First of all there is the sigma-delta versus R2R design. In the first category I am looking at PS Audio's Directstream and Benchmark's DAC 3 and Auralic's Vega G2. In the latter category I'm only aware of MSB and Audio Note.

Questions:

1) Mola-Mola seems to have a design that differs from sigma-delta and R2R. What makes it unique? and are there competitors that use a similar design? (or does the specific design not matter in A/B comparisons?)

2) Having seen the results of some A/B comparisons in this thread I could not find PS Audio's Directstream. Has anyone data/info on this?

Statements have been made on Auralic and Benchmark DACs but I think they are the previous models, i.e. Vega and DAC2.

Curious to learn your experiences with Vega G2 and DAC3.

All response and comments are welcomed.

Thanks,

Marcel

The Netherlands

Marcel,

I have a Benchmark DAC3 and it is a very good DAC. I was using it with the Benchmark AHB2 amp and Audience 1+1 V2 speaker in my home office. The DAC3L was also my preamp for volume. This system has an incredible noise floor and it has a sound like no other I have heard. It is like you are peering into the recording studio. I am moving to a bigger home and decided to look at the Magico A3 for the office. A system with more bass.

I took the Benchmark gear to a dealer and compared it with various ML gear and the Magico A3. I found the AHB2 amp is a great performer with the A3's. I also found the DAC3 was  not as good as Chord Dave DAC that was used with the ML seperates. I believe this is MAINLY because the ML preamp made the sound with more air around the instruments. this sounded better than the Benchmark DAC3 into the AHB2 driving the Magico A3. I never tried the Benchmark gear with the ML preamp. I wish I had tried that.

I then removed the Benchmark DAC3 and tried the Chord DAVE directly into the Benchmark AHB2. It sounded better than the DAC3 into the AHB2 but I still preferred having a ML preamp in the mix. I was testing with the $20Kish each ML preamps, amps, CD players, Chord DAVE.

After a lot of swaps I came to the conclusion that it was the ML preamp that was making the ML sound better than DAC direct into amp. So I decided the best cost effective option would be to go with the ML 585 integrated which has the built in DAC module. It was close to the sound of the ML seperates but better for me than either the Chord DAVE or DAC3 direct into the AHB2. 

The AHB2 in stereo mode had 190 watts to drive the A3 4 ohm load. The ML pre + Chord Dave + AHB2 was also very good and a tad clearer than the ML amps but it had a bit less separation between the performers. The dealer referred to this as 'air'. I am buying the Magico A3 and the ML 585 integrated because the overall sound was what I want when I am working in the office. 

I am going to buy another system in a few years for the living room. I will definitely make sure I have a preamp in the mix. The new super integrateds or preamps with built in DACs are going to be my first choices.

BTW - This is a R2R DAC that it is getting rave reviews by users world-wide.

https://www.mikepowellaudio.com/shop/denafrips-terminator-r2r-dac

Check out the Facebook page, A'gon threads, or watch the YouTube videos. 

https://darko.audio/2018/09/a-short-film-about-the-denafrips-terminator-dac/

I also heard the Vivid Kaya 90 about 30 minutes after I left the Magico A3 dealer at another dealer. The Vivid Kaya sounded very close to the more expensive Vivid Giya line I have heard in the past. It was purposefully driven by lower cost NAD amplification, total about $10K for the NAD gear. Some may prefer it to the ML 585 + Magico A3 that I choose.

39 minutes ago, yyz said:

After a lot of swaps I came to the conclusion that it was the ML preamp that was making the ML sound better than DAC direct into amp.

This is a subject of much controversy here on CA, with lots of members having a view that a preamp cannot possibly improve the sound as compared to running direct from the DAC to the amp, but I absolutely agree with your view.  Inserting a preamp can improve the sound quality over DAC direct.  I too get a greater sense of the venue, more three-dimensional sound, increased realism, enhanced soundstaging and instrumental layering with a preamp in place.  Of course this is going to be system/component dependent.  My wallet wishes this was not the case.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

@Marcel073.

Could you please tell us your actual price bracket/budget for a new DAC?

The new Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC will retail at around €10.000. We've had the Mola Mola preamp here with the DAC-module which the free standing DAC is based on since last year. Presuming that the Tambaqui will be as good (or better) - which is certainly the goal - it belongs in a category above the PS Audio DS DAC (which we also carry) as well as the Benchmark and Auralic DACs. A direct competitor among the brands mentioned would be the MSB Discrete DAC (which we received last week btw). I would also look closer at the CAD R2R DAC which is among the most musical and natural sounding on the market imo.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

I have heard the Mola Mola Makua pre-amp with DAC and the Kaluga amps with Vivid Audio speakers and it was one of the best 4 or 5 systems I have ever heard (I work in the Industry and have attended many CES and RMAF shows, as well as done many high end dealer visits across the country).

Personally, I think the Mola Mola DAC tech is something special.  Mola Mola has an interesting approach: they use three powerful DSP chips to ultimately oversample all incoming sample rates to a 100 MHz single bit signal (regular DSD is 2.8224 MHz single bit) and then use a discrete FIR filter to do the final conversion to analog, followed by a relatively unique "single ended differential" discrete output stage.  The discrete FIR filter conversion stage appears to be similar to Jussi Lasko's (HQPlayer Developer)  DSC-1/2 design, but of course it is running at a higher rate in the Mola Mola.  So while Mola Mola's approach might not be considered entirely unique, it is about as unique as it gets in commercial DACs.  Of course, the sound quality is what matters, and as I mentioned, I am very impressed.   

While it is true that there ares some DACs which do not work at their best direct into a power amp, this will not be the case with the Mola Mola Tambaqui, as the output stage it uses is the same as that in the Makua preamp, so there is no point in adding a preamp, unless you need a preamp to accommodate analog sources, etc.

I could live happily ever after with a Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, direct into the Kaluga amps, to Vivid Audio Giya 2s or 3s (I have yet to hear the new Kayas).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Thanks all for the feedback / discussions.

@xyz

Good to read your enthusiasm on the Benchmark DAC3. Indeed their AHB2 power amp looks very promising too.

As I live in the Netherlands it is not always easy to find a local retailer, especially with brands that are really popular in the US and less in Europe. I think PSAudio and Benchmark are examples. Many times I have to deal with a retailer in a neighbouring country as Belgium or Germany. This is not really a problem but merely an inconvenience.

I saw a review of the Denafrips by John Darko. Can't remember the outcome; have to view it again.

The CHORD Dave seems rather overpriced to me.

@barrows

I was in Bonn (Germany) last week to attend the "Westdeutsche Hifi Tage" (the Western German Hifi days).

There were two vendors demonstrating Mola-Mola gear.

One used the Makua pre-amp into two Kaluga amps into Elac Concerto M speakers. It sounded amazing.

The other used the Tambaqui straight into two Kaluga amps into Vivid Audio's Kaya 45 speakers. This sounded amazing too.

So, in short, I fully agree with you that connecting the Tambaqui directly into Kaluga amps is no problem at all.

And for me this is the way to go anyway since I am also a fan of using high-end home theatre.

So I need an audiophile HT pre/pro with HT bypass in case I want to use just 2-ch audio.

Fyi, the HT pre/pro's I'm currently looking at are Lyngdorf MP-50 and Trinnov Altitude32. Both have plenty channels in XLR layout and have powerful room correction / DSP capabilities. Lyngdorf uses its proprietary RoomPerfect system and Trinnov has its own system. Both use mics to measure the room but supposedly Lyngdorf corrects frequency only whereas Trinnov corrects frequency as well as time. I need to sort out if frequency correction is sufficient and what the added value of time correction is.

Obviously I need to drive the HT Center, SL, SR and ceiling speakers. For that I'm looking into the NAD M27 multi-channel power amp. The nice thing is that this is an efficient Class D amp that uses Hypex technology which was invented by the same person who is also the technical brain behind Mola-Mola. (Perhaps I'm too bit biased as Hypex and Mola-Mola are both Dutch companies ...)

For the time being the setup will be:

Tambaqui going into multi-channel pre-amp / HT processor which goes into NAD M27 for HT use and via HT-bypass into two Kaluga's for pure stereo use. Stereo speakers (also used as FL and FR in HT mode) will be Vivid Kaya 45 or KEF Blade Two or Elac FS 509 VX-JET. HT speakers will be smaller versions of the same brand as the FL and FR.

Sorry for going off topic here, but just in case you have experience with high-end HT I'd love to hear your comments.

@Hyperion

I'm in the lucky position that budget is not really a constraint, but it does not mean that I like wasting money.

Overpriced gear where a high percentage is for supporting the brand's name and their marketing campaigns is not interesting to me.

As responded to @barrows, I'm not interested in the Makua pre-amp as I need a multi channel pre-amp / SSP for my HT use.

Little chance that I will go for a R-2R DAC as the design is rather out of date, though I know that many people swear by it. Oherwise MSB would have no market for their (imo heavily overpriced) DACs.

I'm still interested in the Vega G2 DAC as this can be upgraded with their Leo GX word clock and hooked up to their very nice and powerful Aries G2 streamer.

Hmmm, so many choices to make ...

2 minutes ago, Marcel073 said:

@Hyperion

I'm in the lucky position that budget is not really a constraint, but it does not mean that I like wasting money.

Overpriced gear where a high percentage is for supporting the brand's name and their marketing campaigns is not interesting to me.

As responded to @barrows, I'm not interested in the Makua pre-amp as I need a multi channel pre-amp / SSP for my HT use.

Little chance that I will go for a R-2R DAC as the design is rather out of date, though I know that many people swear by it. Oherwise MSB would have no market for their (imo heavily overpriced) DACs.

I'm still interested in the Vega G2 DAC as this can be upgraded with their Leo GX word clock and hooked up to their very nice and powerful Aries G2 streamer.

Hmmm, so many choices to make ...

If you're looking for and value the highest grade of neutrality, transparency and resolution above everything else of potential qualities in a system, the Mola Mola Tambaqui will be very, very hard to beat regardless of price based on my experience. R2R options from CAD, MSB etc. do offer other qualities that some prefer and might rate higher though. Some would call them more natural and organic sounding. 

In the end, proper system matching and personal opinion/taste is the only thing that matters.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se