IGNORED

Peter Gabriel's "Scratch My Back"

Looks like PG's new covers album: "Scratch My Back" is going to be available as a 24/48 download. It would be nice to have a higher sampling rate, but 24/48 should still be an improvement over 16/44.1. It appears that one must purchase the CD to get the code to allow for downloading the 24/48 version, it is not quite clear on the website yet. Details here:

http://petergabriel.com/scratchmyback/

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi!

I got a two-disc edition of "Scratch My back" with the announced "24Bit download-voucher", and downloaded the album immediatly from the SoS site ...., only to recognize (first), that this may be only upsampled 44,1khz material. Oouuummphhhh.

The levels / compression seems to be identical to the CD tracks, so that there is "only" the possibility of the better resolution of 24Bit, but as it seems to be upsampled to 48khz, I couldn't verify if the material is "real" 24Bit resolution.

So to say: If you are still a member of SoS, go and get the download immideatly, if not, ... I'm not sure if it is really worth the cost of getting it.

But, if you like some of the other albums on SoS, this might be an interesting offer, as you et a three months membership "for free".

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Harald ...

You comment that you suspect the 24/48 B&W Download is an upsampled version, but may I ask how you can tell? Is it something you assessed through listening or is there some tell tale signs?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"You comment that you suspect the 24/48 B&W Download is an upsampled version, but may I ask how you can tell? Is it something you assessed through listening or is there some tell tale signs?"

I haven't downloaded this title yet, but all of their previous 48/24 are upsampled from 44.1. They state this in the downloaded files info.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

According to Society of Sound's Mission Statement We aim to provide each album in three formats, 16bit ALAC, 16bit FLAC and 24bit FLAC. However, if a recording wasn’t originally recorded in 24bit then we do not upsample it, and that album will only be available in 16bit formats.

So according to that they DON'T use upsampling

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

"So according to that they DON'T use upsampling"

Download a 24 bit title from them and read the notes please. They are not changing the bit rate, just the sampling from 44.1 to 48.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

True Lars ... some contradictions there ... some albums are completely upsampled, others have some tracks upsampled.

Eloise

---

;-)

So, even that the point is already cleared (as the statemants from Lars nail it down), I would answer Eloise question, on how I got the "feeling" that the album is an upsampled version:

'm using Wavelab to listen to, and check for ... my files. With a good setup of the integrated FFT (realtime) analyser, one could tell quite fast, if the files are "upsampled" (or otherwise sourced from "lower resolution"), or if there is just no content in the higher frequency range (in this case above 20khz).

The FFT of the PG tracks show a massive filter-rollup above around 22khz, with no spuria above this frequency (which should be there, if it was recorded at 48khz samplingrate).

Besides fromthat, it is really good sounding (the CD version also) production, which isn't as hard limited/compressed as most of the other stuff available today.

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Harald - thanks for that summary...

You finished by saying "Besides fromthat, it is really good sounding (the CD version also) production, which isn't as hard limited/compressed as most of the other stuff available today."

Which is probably much more important than the sample rate, bit depth, etc the recording is made in. Only once you get past the compression that a large proportion of music uses, can you worry about High Resolution.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I have no ways of measuring or analyzing files.. However I've been with SoS for a while now and so far there has always been a note if there have been up sampling.

There is no such note in this download..

And, as already noted the sound is very good.

Almost as important (or perhaps even more important), the emotions put in by Peter Gabriel in these recordings.. Did I hear genius?

:D

A great recording whatever it is sampled at.

A childhood 'hero' comes crashing to earth. He sounds bored and disconnected from the material. Is this album a cruel joke? I'm in shock. I would say listen before purchase but that would be sadistic. If you think I'm exaggerating then go ahead and listen!

Suppose there is a downside to genius.

James[br]

Strange. It has exactly the opposite effect with me - at least with the songs I know. As I said further up it also sounds quite excellent here (which may also partly account for why enjoy it so much). Room correction puts the final icing on the cake for me making the tonality of his voice much more real than my speakers/room do in their natural state.

our middle child Peter 19 yrs ago (named Neil for NY instead :) ). I own everything he's done....and although I'm not willing to call it a "cruel joke" I also find SMB a bit bored and lifeless (so far). The recording quality is excellent, as is usual with PG (except for PG number 2), but I can't connect yet. I will give it way more time, bu that's my $.02 so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a 24/96 version of "Scratch My Back" is available, on a USB stick, if one purchases the very limited/expensive deluxe box set:

http://petergabriel.com/scratchmyback/boxset/

I wonder if there will be any other way to get the 24/96 version...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...