IGNORED

Which Mac Mini?

My system currently consists of Amati anniversario speakers, Boulder 865 integrated amp, and Esoteric X-03SE. I think I've decided to get the Esoteric DAC D-07 and maybe a master clock, and possibly trading in the X-03. Based on everything I've read, including here, I think I've also decided to go with a Mac Mini. But which one? The basic Mac Mini with 4G ram? Or the Mac Mini with Snow Leopard Server, with possibly Apple's raid 5 external storage option?

Thanks,

Daniel

MBP SSD OSX 10.6 with Amarra 2.0 (mostly FLAC) -> Weiss Int202 -> dCS Scarlatti DAC -> Boulder 865 on Finite Elemente -> SF Amati Anniversarios

Hi Chris,

So with the Lynx card option, my understanding is that would mean no Mac Mini. Mac Book Pro maybe?

Also, my understanding is that that would mean XLR input rather than USB input into the DAC?

Sorry, I'm still trying to grasp the basics. My only auditoning has been with the Esoteric D-07 with USB input from a PC, with and without the Esoteric clocks.

Thanks,

Daniel

MBP SSD OSX 10.6 with Amarra 2.0 (mostly FLAC) -> Weiss Int202 -> dCS Scarlatti DAC -> Boulder 865 on Finite Elemente -> SF Amati Anniversarios

To use the Lynx AES16e card with a Mac system you would need to get a Mac Pro.

The alternative would be to use a Mac Mini or MacBook Pro with a Weiss AFI1 FireWire interface. Or as you say just use the USB input (not sure of the spec of the USB input though it does say it supports 24/96) though potentially either the AES16 or AFI1 could give better SQ depending how USB has been implemented.

Back to your original question - personally I would go for the "normal" MacMini rather than the server version.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris, I found your article on the CAPS, and I'm going to do it, using the Lynx card, and going with the Esoteric D-05 instead of the 07, and a master clock. This should be fun - thanks very much for the pointer.

-- Daniel