IGNORED

iPAD!!!

xjeep

Dynobot says - when posting about an HP Slate - in a thread about the iPad:

"More than a GIANT iTouch but a real computer that can actually be used."

then later:

"I can not comment on any pretend computer or any device of that sort...its a notion that you guys made up all on your own. Putting words into people mouths may be a good way to provoke debate but I won't bite."

I say:

what a f*(%ing troll!

clay

Sorry I can't join you in name calling but to keep on topic.....I really do think only suckers with a Mac superiority fetish will bite for the iPad.

Its such a waste.

Dynobot,

With all the sincerity I can muster (which is not easy when talking to a troll) let me say that it's people like you that drive good people away from forums like this.

Several have already left. More will follow.

and to those that remain, I can only suggest - Don't feed the troll!

Enjoy yourself,

my work is done here.

clay

With all the sincerity I can muster (which is not easy when talking to a troll) let me say that it's people like you that drive good people away from forums like this.

What a STRONG polarizing statement, obviously meant to arouse Chris into taking some sort of action.

Myself and the gentleman who is buying the Mac electronic device seemed to be able to have a nice exchange without name calling. Perhaps you can follow his lead.

Or at the very least try not to be so manipulating.

Maybe the "Other people" took a look at HP's "Computer" alternative and lost interest in the Mac electronic device.

The hallmark of a troll is disingenuous statements designed to provoke responses- responses like the "polarizing statement" you cite.

As a moderator on another forum, I have to say Chris either doesn't monitor the various sections very often, or has a rather laze faire attitude about what he thinks is reasonable- which is his prerogative- it's his forum, after all.

As for HP's "Computer" alternative, based on the sketchy information and known issues with other WIN7 devices running touch interfaces, I lost interest in it. Especially as there's no idea when it will actually ship- maybe Steve Ballmer held one in his hand, but if you can't buy it or find out when it can be bought, then it's really still just vaporware.

Perhaps they're just waiting for the feature fall out from the iPad introduction to see what they need to change and add to make it competitive. Probably they also need to go back and add an IPS display, HP probably didn't see that one coming, as they never ship anything beyond 6 bit TN LCD's on portable devices, and IPS is the professional gold standard for LCD displays. There are reasons Apple fronted LG $500 million 18 months ago to build a new factory....

I'm getting an iPad the day it comes out. I will initially use it as a remote only, but have some other ideas in mind. The HP Slate is a good product I'm sure, but it's Achilles heel is that it runs a full Windows operating system. The keys to heaven also open the gates to hell. The iPad is an appliance device that will work immediately when I click the button. If history is any predictor of the future the HP Slate will be comparatively slow to boot, need to be updated frequently, and have build quality that's not close to the iPad. I'm not using Mac fanboy words here. This is all based on facts to date. I would love the Slate to be a real competitor of the iPad. This would drive innovation and lower the price of both devices. A real win for al of us.

If the Slate is really a great piece I'll pick on up without hesitation.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

"I have to say Chris either doesn't monitor the various sections very often, or has a rather laze faire attitude about what he thinks is reasonable"

I monitor everything very closely. I've extensively analyzed post by known trolls & spammers on CA and other forums. I don't like to screw around with people who ruin the atmosphere of CA. I just ban them and move on. I am watching this thread with a microscope.

Everyone please be reasonable here, don't take things overly serious, and make our hobby as enjoyable as it really is.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

When the Slate is available I will likely buy one....I have to agree with the build quality of HP, however as far as boot time...that is really a none issue with me because I never really shut down.

I am also looking at 'other' slate-ish / pad-ish alternatives.

Also I will most likely have the slate as a dual boot with Linux, as I prefer the sound of Linux. But as toys go they should be fun to whomever buys which....even if it is just an "Electronic Device".

"The hallmark of a troll is disingenuous statements designed to provoke responses."

Agreed.

The most polarizing statement in this thread (about the iPad) is this one:

"I really do think only suckers with a Mac superiority fetish will bite for the iPad."

Followed closely by this ... "I think it's a waste" ... and this one:

"HP Singing:

Anything you can do,

I can do better.

I can do anything

Better than you."

The first is exactly the kind of comment that would be right at home on the various technology sites, which seem to disintegrate with the second or third post of any thread, a characteristic which we are trying to AVOID here on CA.

Another example of trollish behaviour is (the gratuitous reference in) this recent thread title:

"Amarra Is Offically A Thing of the Past.....Thanks To Pure Vinyl's New Pure Music for just $99"

"Myself and the gentleman who is buying the Mac electronic device seemed to be able to have a nice exchange without name calling. Perhaps you can follow his lead."

Dynobot, are you really so clueless as to understand that your exchange with ronfint was nothing of the sort, i.e. a 'nice exchange'?

Like you, jonmarsh, I am also a moderator of other sites, and know a thing or two about disruptive, (and other) trollish posting behaviours. Indeed, I have been appointed as moderator by other list owners precisely for my ability to support their goals of maintaining decorum, after starting out as simply a list participant.

One fact remains - I know for certain that multiple posters have left CA precisely due to posting behaviours such as this. I correspond with them offline. Others have simply become lurkers. These are posters with some of the highest signal-to-noise ratios of all the past and present posters here. They are sorely missed.

The aim of my post above was NOT to get Chris to do anything, but to point out the type of posting behaviours which cause forums to lose (what I consider to be) it's most valuable assets.

respectfully,

clay

I wouldn't engage with the likes of Dynobutt.

He thinks the TDA1543 chip is 24 bit, for God's sake!

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

If there are any posters who can have dialog that does not necessarily mean I must embrace your methods I welcome you to an exchange not a debate. I can and do recognize that you are entitled to your opinion and what ever method you choose is what is best "For You". In the world of audio there are just too many variables to claim only one as the holy grail and dismiss all others. But at the same time any method can be harshly criticized because it just does not work in every single case.

Rest assured there will be no childish name calling on my part or hurt feelings if you choose to make a strong stand in opposition to mine.

The aim of my pointing to the posts I thought trollish is/was ONLY to change behaviour so that we don't lose even more posters.

So if "I" am a "Troll" here and am the cause of people leaving then I can easily stop posting here. Then you won't have me to blame.

Chris, if you wish you may close my account to ComputerAudiophile, my contributions here are done.

I've made three in my lifetime, a washstand, a bandstand and a grandstand.

Of the three, I am most proud of making the bandstand - " On your feet you lazy ba$tard$", I screamed. And they all stood up! Oh, that was a good day!

Or as Spike Milligan once said, "He walked into the room, the curtains were drawn but the furniture was real".

WOW this thread really took off... Its been awhile since ive logged on...

I personally already pre-ordered my iPAD. I dont care that it does not act like a traditional computer... The scale of software out there already available for it is astronomical. It will not do everything a standard laptop will do, but it will in many ways offer more options and cheep options at that in terms of software...

And the simple fact anyone can write software for it, is pretty cool. If there is something you want it to do, but software was not already available, or even allowed, you could always write it yourself (if you have the know how that is).

Someone on here already pointed out and reminded me very early in this thread, that a new music server program would not be allowed, because it competes with apples own iTunes. But that does not stop be from writing it anyways and just keeping it for myself. *smiles*

But other strong points... A remote can be made, and im not sure, but you can prob make the remote look anyway you want it it, and maybe in such a way it looks and gives the perception you are using a new music server program. This could be great for the people who dont like that iTunes looks...

He thinks the TDA1543 chip is 24 bit, for God's sake!

Once more showing more class than the local inhabitants. Please view Gordon Rankins web site for the Proton DAC by Wavelenght Audio which uses the TDA1543 chip. Proton DAC is indeed 24/96.

http://www.usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html

If you disagree please inform Mr. Rankin of your expert opinion and analysis.

The Proton does 24/96 and has a Wolfson chip-not the TDA 1543. The TDA1543 is not a 24 bit chip. Sorry DR.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.