IGNORED

iPAD!!!

xjeep

So my Best Friend is a Apple Developer and I got him to confirm that the new iPAD does have the same digital out that the new iPODs have...

When I first heard of the iPAD the first thing that popped into my head was the ultimate gorgeous portable music server... Lord know this feature alone is worth the price of the darn thing, and i fully plan on buying a couple and using one as my music server... Im working with my friend to help develop an iPAD app that will cater to us AUDIOPHILES... I am beyond pumped and excited... Im totally dropping my MPD project and focusing all my efforts on this project now...

Would love some ideas you folks would love to see in the software

ok, and GO!

Hi xjeep - Very cool. Take a look at PlugPlayer. It can control J River Media Center via UPnP/DLNA. That functionality would be cool.

Perhaps the coolest features would be similar to a Sooloos system panel. Viewing a page of album covers, tapping on one album to bring up more information etc... I suggest looking at a Sooloos interface. Also, PS Audio has created a really great app for control if its new components.

Some kind of WiFi to infrared would be out of this world in my opinion. Then I could control the rest of my IR components with the iPad. I know other hardware would be required but that's the least of my worries.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ya I like the way you think.

Funny thing is my friend and I can think of so many hardware products that we would love to develop. So much so we are considering approaching a few companies who might have the means to produce some of our ideas. Sadly I'm to scared to share them because we are getting pretty serious about a few. So confident in a couple makes us both wish we had the capital to open a whole new small start up company based on the iPAD product catered primarily to the audiophile market.

I guess time will see. We are both petty damn excited about a few ideas rolling around in our heads.

I'd have though that developing a MPD (or J.River / MediaMonkey / Foobar) controller for the iPad would be more worthwhile than trying to develop an Audiophile Media Player given that (a) only a few devices exist able to access a digital stream from the iPod and (b) an alternative media player probably wouldn't get approval fo the app store anyway (duplicating existing functionality isn't allowed IIRC).

On the other hand a full functioned MPD controller aping the iTunes / iPod app shown during the unveiling WOULD be of great interest and would also allow use of any DAC supported by Linux (i.e. any SPDIF or AES via suitable interface card, most USB DACs and some FireWire).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi,

I am thinking of using the IPad as an ultimate remote mainly if I will use MacMini as the player that will get the music from the server and connect to a DAC

I still have not figured out yet which setting to use i.e < MacMini - Itune - DAC - Preamp > Vs < small PC - ?ASUS ASUS Xonar Essence? - some MediaPlayer - DAC- Preamp > But seems like either way the IPad would work out of the box with the remote app.

Beefing Up the remote App would be nice

Any suggestion on the player dilemma I have?

Thanks,

Ted

One of the greatest pitfalls in computer audio is the interface itself. SPDIF [coax/toslink] seems to have too much jitter, USB [if not Asynch] can produce too much jitter because the data is being pushed out to the DAC and the same goes for Firewire. Although in most cases good Firewire and USB interfaces do not produce audible levels of jitter. Still, Computer Audio as a whole needs a better solution for the interface between the Computer and the DAC. Asynch drivers for both USB and Firewire for example would be a nice step in the right direction. It would effectively bring the Computer up to the level of an Audio component and would alleviate the need for band-aids.

Remote apps and all that is fine, but imo what good is flooding computer audio with tons of different kinds of remotes. The simple remote that comes with the iTouch/iPhone is enough, it shows Playlists, Libraries, Album art etc and is small enough to be conveniently carried around the house. I am sure the iPad will have the same remote by default.

Have it come with a PURE version of Core Audio, that automatically adjusts the whole system for optimal audio playback....no more renice commands. Make the OS turn off all non essential operations that have nothing to do with audio as well as adjust the bios to operate on the lowest amount of power to the CPU [underclock and undervolt].

• 2 weeks later...

I have been there and finally ended up with a very minimalistic setup:

Macmini/external HD with AIFF files ---->Benchmark DAC1 HDR ------> ATC SCM 100 active speakers.

I am using my iPhone as a remote, but look forward to using the iPad.

cheers

Tom

BM DAC1/HDR --> ATC SCM 100ASL[br]BM DAC1--> Genelec 8020/Beyer T70[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Stax 007T/404[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Genelec 6010A/Beyer DT1350[br]

I'm looking forward to it as well and I'm sure it will function as a wonderful remote in a way just hinted at by the iPhone....but anything else depends on your definition of a music server...the largest iPad will only have 64gB memory which isnt much and you'll only get a digital output by connecting it to something like the Wadia iTtransport......to what extent it does anything other than act as a big remote will depend on how much of a computer it is.....The Mighty Steve himself said it is midway between a smartphone and a computer and with access to the Internet and email via WiFi or 3G it will certainly do lots of things my laptop does so there will be lots of occasions where I travel with it rather than the laptop, I am sure. In the past, one had to delve around the deep Internet to find the configuration of the 30 pin connector, or enter into a developer relationship with Apple, which is what I assume Wadia did ( and others now ). Building on the existing Remote application would be a good idea, but the Remote app was initially developed by a third party ( anybody remember Signal? ) and then rolled out as an Apple App....you may need to scope out how the time you invest in it will be covered....but good luck, its a great idea and pre-order your iPad on Mar 12...whoo hooo

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

It would be nice if the iPad could do everything Songbird can do, but successfully. By that I mean equalize the volume across all music files, properly identify files in a standard format, and not fail to see hundreds of perfectly good audio files.

hungry for knowledge

Have to do the catch-up on the iPad.. If it can give me a full blown iTunes interface at my fingertips (in my chair), remote managing my Macmini, ... I fancy it... and probably buy it for that alone...

Does it do that out-of-the box (some remote desktop option with Mac) or does it need an updated Remote app for that?

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

I'm also interested in the answer to that. I am presently using a Macbook to remote control the headless Mini server. Does anyone know if the iPad will behave like a Macbook with a full remote screen to the Mini or like an iPod, with just basic iTunes controls ?

don't know the answer to that, but I use both methods to control a Macbook music server and within its legibility and functional limitations, the iPhone is faster and more reliable. So if the iPad just duplicates the Remote functionality with a bigger screen it should be better than either....if it does more. it will be a bonus

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

I think Wait and See is probably the required response to this. Though there are a few points I can make.

• The existing iTunes remote will work on the iPad just like every other application.
  • There has been no announcement about a specific iTunes Remote for the iPad.
  • Apple did show a new interface for iPod functionality on the iPad.
  • When revealing iPhone 3G (iPhone 2.0) they didn't reveal the Remote until the App Store was launched so there **may** still be a launch of a new iPad remote at launch.
  • The iPhone / iPod Touch has 2 or 3 VNC applications which can control a Mac (via Screen Sharing) completely. These will run on the iPad.
  • (I think) at least one of the authors of the above mentioned VNC applications have indicated they will be creating a full screen iPad version.

Given all these points, I think using an iPad to control a computer running iTunes (or Foobar or Media Monkey using the relevant plugin) is a distinct possibility. Just a few weeks wait to find out at launch.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Gang,

Most USB based iPod's have what is called an Alternate USB interface. This is the only digital interface available for iPod/iPad and is an Adaptive USB protocol. Since this is USB the application must look like a host computer and has certain protocols to adhere by.

The output can be at the designers choice, but outputs can be DAC or Secure SPDIF (Copy Protection bit enabled).

~~~~~~~

Jitter can be very high on this interface as Stereophile has pointed out. It is really up to the designer how this is controlled and it can be managed to a very high degree which means very low jitter output.

Thanks

Gordon

What this may be is the answer to what's been missed since CD's took hold and the Computer has taken over: Album Artwork and information that you can carry around, sit with and study while listening to the music.........kind of (but not totally like) like a vinyl album. What really is nonexistent is actual artwork that's been archived in high resolution with all the inserts etc. I pursued this and approached a number of record companies (waste of time) and big money music guys (Paul Allen-interested but just a "good luck with that") and no one gets this.........yet. Someone will do this eventually and it will be credited w/reviving all sorts of "lost" information that completes our visceral listening experience. Here's the launching pad (oh yes I did say that!). It will be fun when it happens.

Keith

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Well IF Apple develop a full featured remote for the iPad, it would make sense if they incorporated Artwork, etc features from iTunes LP function.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I dont think Apple has to worry about the iPad not being regarded as a real computer, and they havent even claimed it to be a pretend one...merely said it is a new product that fits between a smartphone and a laptop. I think it will be a very interesting process to see people working out what it is really capable of, in the same way that the iPhone has exceeded expectations. And it also looks like a tablet done right, delivering on the promise of that form factor that others have struggled to popularise....after April 3, we shall see........but for audio, if it turns out to be only a big-screen remote, it has the potential to be a really great interface between music lovers and their collections. For me the interface and access advantages were what got me into computer audio in the first place....it actually doesnt matter how great the disc sounds if you cant find it. All the other sonic advantages came later, so the discs just sit there now as physical backup!

I can not comment on any pretend computer or any device of that sort...its a notion that you guys made up all on your own. Putting words into people mouths may be a good way to provoke debate but I won't bite.

Anyways, yes the HP Slate is a Real Computer -and- it can serve as a remote or anything else real computers can do....Skype, watch movies, send e-mails, you name it. This would be a huge attribute in my book as supposed to something that is just a Giant remote. Maybe you can call the iPad a "Jitterbug" version of the iTouch.

So what else you guys planning on doing with the iPad besides looking at your music collection? You gonna carry it around the house?

What else would you do with a slate but use it as a remote? If I'm at home I'm not going to choose a slate over a PC for much. Browse the web I guess, maybe check email. Point is, the form factor of the device class is for casual use, not serious stuff.

I'll agree though, I wish OSX would run on the iPad for more flexibility.

We may be drifting off topic but it is all in fun....hey ! all the things on your list of what a real computer can do, I do believe that the giant remote can do all those things....watch movies, email, surf the net,there is even a streamlined version of the iWorks software on there....video skypeing might need an external camera though....just wait till the aftermarket gets going