IGNORED

WEISS AFI-1 (connection, operation, and clock advice)

I'm building a new system which monitors a wet signal (PC output via firewire>AES) originating at a Mytek 192 ADC, and I need to finally, monitor this signal via DAC.

The unit I have considered as interfaces, given that dedicated word clock i/o and AES i/o are mandatory requirements, are:

MOTU Traveler

Konnekt x32

Weiss AFI-1

I have also talked with Black Lion about a modded Microclock because I was at first considering:

Mytek ADC (on Black Lightning battery) > MOTU Traveler (on Black Lightning battery )> PC via firewire > MOTU > DAC

Since I started considering the Microclock, I thought I should again look at the AFI-1 since I could possibly just use the Weiss clock or even the Mytek.

I was confused by Mani's comments on another forum regarding a "poor" clock in the AFI-1 which I find hard to believe, but I guess he was comparing it the PMII unit. Still, it read strange. Black Lion owns the patent to their clock technology and they have top notch test equipment. They make a really good clock, bottom line. I guess I cold always add the Microclock later and could play around with master/slave clock on the Mytek and AFI-1.

My final, and most important question, which I could not garner from the manual, is how does the Weiss software work? Is it easy to use?

I need to be able to push the dry signal into the PC, apply effect in Samplitude or similar, and push it back out AES output to DAC. I assume it has a digital mixer gui as all i/o can be used independently, and routed as such?

thanks!

hifi

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

"I was confused by Mani's comments on another forum regarding a "poor" clock in the AFI-1 which I find hard to believe, but I guess he was comparing it the PMII unit."

If I said this (I can't recall), then it was pure speculation on my part. Certainly, slaving the AFI1 to the PMII provides a quantum leap in SQ. Is this down to a superior clock in the PMII... or the fact that the clock sits right next to the ADC/DAC chips in this configuration... or the fact that the AFI1 uses a SMPS... or impedance mismatches somewhere... or... I have no idea.

Thomas J reported an improvement in the SQ of the AFI1 by changing from an SM to a linear PS (though I don't think he was slaving it to a DAC). I'm hoping to try this in the near future and will report back.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I've not really had a chance to take a serious listen to the AFI1 since replacing its stock (off-the-shelf and cheapo) SMPS with the linear Hynes PS. Making a direct comparison between the SMPS and the linear PS won't really be possible. However, what I will do is compare the AFI1 (with linear PS) against the RME AES-32. In the past, although they both sound different, I've tended to say that they're pretty equal. If the AFI1 now sounds significantly better, then the new PS must be making the difference.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro