IGNORED

Need help on how to get audio track only off DVD for Mac

HiFiInsider

Great method Bob. I stupidly didn't read through the thread at first, deciding that there must be a preferable free way to extract audio from a DVD I recently purchased. I realised I could use Mac the Ripper to extract PCM, and decided to check the thread again before searching for a free app to export to FLAC/ALAC. Amadeus Pro did a great job of FLAC export and includes a free 30 day trial (limited to 10 'big' file exports, and unlimited 'small' exports), though I'm sure there will be another free app that will do the same.

Chris, I'm sure many appreciate your tutorial, but unless I've missed some functionality advantages or something, I can't see the reason to use a paid app in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just follow these instructions for Popcorn:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversion/index.php/t57412.html

I'm the guy who wrote the Macworld article. While my solution is a bit of a kludge, at least it works; Popcorn is very unreliable. I didn't have the program when I wrote the article, but I got a copy afterwards, and tried to rip some audio with it, and it didn't work very well. For example, on one disc, I couldn't select each individual audio track, which show up as separate titles; these were tracks available only in audio, though. But other users have told me that it doesn't always work correctly.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Kirk,

Thank you for bring the subject up on Macworld. Tips like that are a lot of fun. My problem with using Handbrake is the low bitrate quality 320kbp. Other than that Handbrake & Extract Movie Soundtrack is awesome and it's easy to use. Popcorn has been working fine with me, but I have to use Garageband to divide the tracks, which is a pain. I guess I can try the tip from Roxio forum and convert one track a time. I like Extract Movie Soundtrack but it doesn't like the file Popcorn export. I get tracks that has no sound. Am I doing something wrong?

I agree that the Handbrake method is probably not ideal if you consider yourself an audiofile. But it works more smoothly than many of the other methods.

Popcorn is uneven; it works for some titles, but if you have a disc with multiple titles it gets confused. (I just tried this today with the documentary about Bob Dylan, Dont Look Back, which contains five audio tracks I'd like to rip. Popcorn wouldn't allow me to select them all.)

I don't know why Popcorn and Extract don't work well together... FWIW, I use Fission to split tracks whenever I need to.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

• 1 year later...

As far as I'm concerned, I'm using iSkysoft DVD Ripper for MAC which is dead easy to use! Great quality too!!!

http://www.iskysoft.com/dvd-ripper-mac.html

In 2 mouse clicks, you can extract directly to .WAV, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, OGG, MP3, AC3; etc.

Sample rate quality can be set up to 48kHz, with the highest quality bit rate as well.

Audio formats from the DVD are always properly identified, no hassle.

For me, that's a great piece of software.

Manley Stingray II - Cardas Golden Cross - Pascal Louvet Horus - Super Tweeters

Mac Mini '09/Kalos PSU - Amarra 2.4.1 - MSB DAC IV - USB Essentia - YBA Diamond

Pro-Ject 2Xperience - Speed Box II SE - Tube Box II SE - Supra EFF ISL

GigaWatt PF2 - LC2

Hi Dj_AmTrax, yes it does!

There is an option to split each chapter (Edit -> Splitting -> Split as Chapters), which comes very handy when ripping concert DVD. It thus generates one audio file of your choice per chapter, during one single batch: just click 'convert' & wait.

You can then use gapless playback using your favorite audiophile player.

Cheers.

Manley Stingray II - Cardas Golden Cross - Pascal Louvet Horus - Super Tweeters

Mac Mini '09/Kalos PSU - Amarra 2.4.1 - MSB DAC IV - USB Essentia - YBA Diamond

Pro-Ject 2Xperience - Speed Box II SE - Tube Box II SE - Supra EFF ISL

GigaWatt PF2 - LC2

If the video/audio of a DVD is unencrypted, Cinematize 2 works like a charm. You can set it to extract the audio tracks only, in either separate segments (by chapter number) or as one large file, and it can convert the tracks to AIFF. I've only extracted the audio from DVDs with PCM tracks (at 16/48), but I believe it will convert AC-3 and DTS tracks as well. It also works well extracting audio from the couple of HDADs (on the DVD-V side) that I have (at 24/96).

For my encrypted DVDs, I first rip them to my HDD using RipIt, which strips away the copy protection while providing (I believe) an otherwise accurate, bit-for-bit rip of the DVD. I then use Cinematize 2 as described above (using the resulting RipIt file instead of the actual DVD). Since Cinematize 2 is using a file instead of the actual DVD in this case, the process of ripping the audio goes MUCH faster--seconds as opposed to minutes.

Cinematize 2:

http://www.miraizon.com/products/products.html

RipIt:

http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

I am using Ripit and love it. I will check out your recommendation. One question. Does C-2 extract the audio track in full bit rate? One thing I noticed on DVD Ripper for Mac is that the screeched audio is only 196kbp which is garbage it then gives you an option to convert to AIFF. What's the point if the original file is low bit rate. What bit rate does C-2 exports before conversion to other formats?

It should preserve the original audio quality on the DVD (whichever audio track you select, if there's more than one), whether it's uncompressed LPCM, lossy AC-3 (Dolby Digital), or whatever. I've only used Cinematize 2 to extract the LPCM tracks of DVDs and it always gives me full 16-bit/48 kHz AIFF files. (Except for one DVD that had 24-bit audio, in which case I got a 24-bit/48 kHz AIFF file.) I'm not sure exactly what it would do with AC-3 or DTS tracks, though........

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Yeah--it's pretty bizarre that they only let you do 10-second rips to try out the software. (Whereas you can rip up to 10 whole DVDs with RipIt before you're forced to pay.) Still, I don't think the UI of Cinematize 2 is all that bad (though it's not great, either), but in truth you don't really have to interact with it that much in order to rip the audio files--just drag the DVD icon (or RipIt disc image) onto the C-2 main window, select the proper Video TS file, select the desired tracks, deselect the video, select the desired audio track, and then select whether you want it as one file or separated by chapters, whether to convert it to AIFF or other format, and the destination for the file(s). That's pretty much it.

Russell