IGNORED

Audiophile player - HQPlayer

murrayp

I write here hoping someone answer me.

Hello am seriously interested in the program I currently have a PC with powerful i7 3770 k with windows 7 64 bit and a small pc from a few watt processor via c7 eden 1000 Mhz linear power supply with pci sound card asus xonar st and lightweight operating system from a few linux mdppup megabytes, which I use only for music, I would like to create a system like the one in the diagram. PC -> NAA -> DAC. is also possible with PCI card asus? and how. Thank you.Currently mdppup sounds very good but I want to get the most with your software.

Greetings.

Michele

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Would appreciate any comments on using an M-audio Delta 1010LT PCI card for 5.1 and 7.1 playback?

Though now a "mature" card, it circumvents all the issues of USB jitter etc. and plays up to 10 channels at 24bits/96kHz.

2. Currently using a "mature" IBM PC P4 3GHz with XP and JRiver, understand I would need to upgrade to Win 7 or 8 for HQPlayer?

1. Would appreciate any comments on using an M-audio Delta 1010LT PCI card for 5.1 and 7.1 playback?

Though now a "mature" card, it circumvents all the issues of USB jitter etc. and plays up to 10 channels at 24bits/96kHz.

I had the non-LT Delta1010 (with external converter box) for almost 10 years, but eventually it broke down. I used it mostly on Linux. Since it's Envy24-based it should work fine.

2. Currently using a "mature" IBM PC P4 3GHz with XP and JRiver, understand I would need to upgrade to Win 7 or 8 for HQPlayer?

There seems to be Win7 driver for the Delta, so it should work. Didn't see a Win8 driver there yet, so I'm not sure if it would work with Win8.

Another alternative is Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). It is possible to install Linux side by side with Windows. If your P4 CPU is "Prescott" then it should work with the 32-bit Linux version of the player. I don't have anything older than Core 2 anymore...

Some of the DSP operations are heavy, so your mileage may vary depending on configuration.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

It's a good card, but doesn't sound nearly as good as a good USB>DAC solution. Unless you are really pressed for cash, or really need multichannel, I'd spend my money on one of the good relatively inexpensive DACs now available.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...

I bought the player. I find the interface usable (if not "do everything"). It installed without a hitch on my machine running Linux Mint. It works with my equipment, converting PCM to DSD on the fly, then sending the output to my Schiit Loki DAC.

However, I have problems with this:

Playlists are now supported and folders with playlists are also discovered. On Linux and with ASIO backend on Windows, playlists can be created by just drag-and-drop to the player window (you can also drop entire directory tree). M3U/M3U8 and PLS playlist formats are supported.

I can drag files to the player window and play them, no problem.

I can then click the "Save Playlist" icon at the top of the main window, supply a file name, and hit "Save".

Unfortunately, the process breaks down for me after that.

When I hit the "Open Playlist" icon and navigate to the directory where playlists are saved, none of them show up in the window.

If, otoh, I go to that directory using whatever file browsing software I have installed (e.g., Nemo in my case), I can see that the playlist file was, indeed, created and saved by HQPlayer. If I open it with a text editor, it shows the names of all the music files and the complete path to them on each line.

When I check properties for these files, my user account has read and write access.

Right-clicking the playlist file does not give me an option to open it with HQPlayer, even if I ask Mint to search for other applications. If I right-click the playlist file and choose to open it with VLC or Movie Player, it works fine. If I right-click it and attempt to open it with Guyadeque, the application opens but nothing plays. If I right-click and open it with Rhythmbox, it shows up in the interface but does not play; when I highlight it and click "Play", Rhythmbox crashes by closing without error messages. (All this inconsistency puzzles me.)

Dragging the playlist file onto the playlist section of the HQPlayer interface does nothing.

Yes, I've read the manual and the section on playlists doesn't delve into troubleshooting. Still, I feel sure I'm missing something simple.

Can you give me any pointers? How can I get HQPlayer to actually use the playlist files that it creates?

Thanks in advance for any help.

When I hit the "Open Playlist" icon and navigate to the directory where playlists are saved, none of them show up in the window.

Do the files have ".m3u8" suffix on the file system? If the suffix for some reason is missing, file name mask used by the open dialog filters such out. If you select "All files" mask then all files should show up. Supported types are ".m3u", ".pls" and ".m3u8". All the stored lists are ".m3u8" type.

If the extension is missing, just adding the missing extension should be enough.

Dragging the playlist file onto the playlist section of the HQPlayer interface does nothing.

This should append the list to the currently active one... (this way you can queue multiple lists for playback)

Do the files have ".m3u8" suffix on the file system?
No.

By manually entering the suffix when saving the file, the playlists work as expected. I can open them and append them to already-active playlists.

I find it odd that a program that creates files for later use fails to append a required suffix...but I can work around it.

Thanks so much for providing this solution.

BTW - For those who find the interface insufficiently versatile or just not to their taste, I found that I can open another player/browser such as gmusicbrowser, use that program to play with file searches, then just drag the files I want to play over to HQPlayer. I'll be using that workaround quite a bit, too.

Hmm, how did you get that to work? I read about that in an Italian Forum, but haven't been able to get it to work.

No.

By manually entering the suffix when saving the file, the playlists work as expected. I can open them and append them to already-active playlists.

I find it odd that a program that creates files for later use fails to append a required suffix...but I can work around it.

Thanks so much for providing this solution.

BTW - For those who find the interface insufficiently versatile or just not to their taste, I found that I can open another player/browser such as gmusicbrowser, use that program to play with file searches, then just drag the files I want to play over to HQPlayer. I'll be using that workaround quite a bit, too.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hmm, how did you get that to work?

I don't know which part of my post you're asking about.

I got the playlists created by HQPlayer to work by typing in the entire file name, including suffix, when I saved a playlist. After doing that, I could open them, drag them to HQPlayer, and drag them to HQPlayer while another playlist is already running. In each of those cases, the playlists now work as expected.

I got the importing of file choices from another program to work by just trying different programs. It works with gmusicbrowser and Quod Libet. (BTW, I've decided I like Quod Libet for this purpose since I find it easier to set up complex searches in that program.) When Quod Libet (or gmusicbrowser) is showing a file I'd like to play in the bottom pane, I just click-and-drag that line over to HQPlayer and drop it in the bottom pane of HQPlayer. It's easy to click and shift-click to select of contiguous list of song files. It's also easy to click and CTRL-click to select non-contiguous files. Then, just like dealing with a single file, I can click-and-drag the selected files to HQPlayer and drop them to add them to the list of files being played.

I sorta knew I would be forced to come up with these sorts of workarounds because of the descriptions that Miska has repeatedly provided about the way he organizes music and, by extension, the assumptions that underly the HQPlayer interface design. They are completely different than the way my brain works; I'm much messier.

Despite my disorganized approach to file storage, I'm glad I've found ways to use his high-quality player since it is specifically well-suited to my hardware.

Thank you BenEnglish! It was the drag and drop. I tried it with the free JRiver, and MusicBee. Neither worked, but I'll be sure to try your two. I'm messy too.

Forrest:

It adds suffix on my system. I will investigate why it doesn't happen always and fix it. That's a bug...

I found that I can open another player/browser such as gmusicbrowser, use that program to play with file searches, then just drag the files I want to play over to HQPlayer. I'll be using that workaround quite a bit, too.

Desktop file managers also work; Nautilus and Dolphin on Linux, Windows Explorer on Windows and Finder on Mac. I've also tested that it works from iTunes on Mac (well, pretty much just AIFF because that's the only common format). Also passing file names through command line work, so invocation from other applications is possible.

BenEnglish:Now that I am more awake, it occurs to me from those players that you are running linux. I have not been able to get HQPlayer to work on linux. It crashes constantly. I imagine it is me, not HQPlayer.

It adds suffix on my system. I will investigate why it doesn't happen always and fix it. That's a bug...

Desktop file managers also work; Nautilus and Dolphin on Linux, Windows Explorer on Windows and Finder on Mac. I've also tested that it works from iTunes on Mac (well, pretty much just AIFF because that's the only common format). Also passing file names through command line work, so invocation from other applications is possible.

Forrest:

BenEnglish:...you are running linux. I have not been able to get HQPlayer to work on linux.

Yes, I'm running Linux Mint, as I noted when I first asked my questions in post #157. HQPlayer was a quick and completely drama-free installation for me. It has never crashed on me. If you can't get it to work on linux, what distro are you using? No matter how much you might like a piece of software, I wouldn't want anyone to descend into dependency hell to try to figure out why it's crashing.

Perhaps Miska can tell you where to find a log file with clues about crashes? <hint>

Desktop file managers also work; Nautilus and Dolphin on Linux, ...

I'm running Nemo and it's fine for drag and drop. I provide this information in case it might help with the bug fix you referenced.

Also in that vein, the installation of HQPlayer radically altered the Nemo interface on my machine. The changes don't stick; sometimes they're present, sometimes not.

I'll do some experimenting to try to show you the difference. If I can capture some screenshots, I'll come back and append them to this post.

BenEnglish:Now that I am more awake, it occurs to me from those players that you are running linux. I have not been able to get HQPlayer to work on linux. It crashes constantly. I imagine it is me, not HQPlayer.

I'm using HQ Linux installation me as well …

Basically it's Xubuntu 12.04 with LowLatency kernel, not a single issue during setup or audio playout.

Regards. Massimiliano

Thank you!

I am absolutely sure the issue is not HQPlayer. There seems to be an ALSA-Pulse Audio issue that creates a phantom/proxy sound process when an item is played, that in turn seemingly crashes HQPlayer that I assume demands exclusive access. I have already had a near miss grub rescue doing this dual boot on my Win8 box. I am a linux newbie, awaiting parts to build a small Ubuntu server for HQP or an NAA to try again. We'll see.

Forrest:

Perhaps Miska can tell you where to find a log file with clues about crashes? <hint>

Log file can be found from ~/.hqplayer/HQPlayer.log and is generated only in case it has been enabled from Settings dialog.

Also in that vein, the installation of HQPlayer radically altered the Nemo interface on my machine. The changes don't stick; sometimes they're present, sometimes not.

Interesting, this is probably due to some dependency that gets pulled in as part of installation. I don't think there are even many common dependencies between the two. HQPlayer package itself doesn't contain many files and doesn't make any changes. Packaging system itself makes sure there are no conflicts.

• 1 year later...

I apologize if this has been asked before.

Sometimes when I drag an album folder of AIFF files into the HQPlayer3 playlist window, some of the songs don't show up in the list. They just won't load.

I do not have this issue with the same files in Audirvana Plus v1.x.x.

I'm running Mavericks OSX 10.9.1 on my MBP.

Please help!

I apologize if this has been asked before.

Sometimes when I drag an album folder of AIFF files into the HQPlayer3 playlist window, some of the songs don't show up in the list. They just won't load.

I do not have this issue with the same files in Audirvana Plus v1.x.x.

I'm running Mavericks OSX 10.9.1 on my MBP.

Please help!

When this happened to me, it was because there was a "#" (which = "number" in the US) in the name of the track; e.g, Sibelius Symphony #3 . . .

When I changed the "#" to "No.", the same tracks loaded just fine.

Take a look at the tracks that are not loading and see if there's an unusual (i.e., non-alphanumeric) character in the name of the track.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

When this happened to me, it was because there was a "#" (which = "number" in the US) in the name of the track; e.g, Sibelius Symphony #3 . . .

When I changed the "#" to "No.", the same tracks loaded just fine.

Take a look at the tracks that are not loading and see if there's an unusual (i.e., non-alphanumeric) character in the name of the track.

Thank you for your response.

That was not the problem, though. I ripped a Jackson Browne CD as 16/44 AIFF files with XLD. There are no symbols or unusual characters in the song titles.

All ten songs showed up in iTunes, where I do my file management and metadata editing, and all ten songs loaded into the Audirvana playlist.

When I loaded the same album folder into HQPlayer, it only recognized eight songs. I assume that there are hidden metadata tags that are not necessarily visible with basic tag editors. I'm saying that because, the first time around, I had directed XLD to retrieve the MusicBrainz metadata for the album. Afer I had the issue with the missing tracks, I re-ripped the CD, but this time, I selected FreeDB as the metadata server in XLD preferences, and, having done that, all ten AIFF tracks now show up in HQPlayer. So there is a discrepancy that was not visible with my tag editor.

I used to think that only the basic tags that I employ and manually verify--track number, song title, album title, artist, and album artist--have a bearing on how my music files sort and are retrieved, but, obviously, nothing can be perfect, no matter how simple you try to make it.