IGNORED

Audiophile player - HQPlayer

murrayp

so windows 7 sucks for sound quality? vista is better? i know win 7 SP1 sucks for sound, windows 7 with just regular updates sounds better to me. mabe worth trying vista again?

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Apparently you know nothing.

I expressed it in binary above. 16 bits fyi. Bit perfect. Just a hypocritical theory.

Djeezz.

Get yourself a MAC.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

who are you replying to?

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Perhaps your playback electronics (preamp, poweramp, headphone amplifier etc ). need to be brought up to the standard of your Phasure NOS DAC ? (I am stirring !)

Yes, that's what would be a logical explanation. Sadly (stirring too) my DAC and everyting runs electronically 100% the same for all sample rates and everyting. That is, if I want (or want to compare). So that can't be it.

But I guess I'm out of this thread for now. It is not about this all.

Regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

"But I guess I'm out of this thread for now. It is not about this all."

Agreed, We are way off topic.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

so windows 7 sucks for sound quality? vista is better? i know win 7 SP1 sucks for sound, windows 7 with just regular updates sounds better to me. mabe worth trying vista again?

I have to say I fail to hear any difference between the two in my system. But I don't make claims about others...

From my point of view W7 is streamlined from some of the heavy cruft of Vista. But if I guess what Peter is talking about, it's about Microsoft trying to balance between complaints from different camps... I have to admit that I still have less bad experiences with W7, because on Vista WASAPI and drivers initially had tons of bugs (Vista SP1 fixed some of the issues and drivers have catched up since).

But generally I would advise on trying to look for Vista/W7 certified hardware and WHQL certified drivers. At least it means that things pass some basic requirements.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi,

tried HQPlayer again last night. i do like the sound, and could be my favorite player. there is a couple of things i'd like to see added before i took it seriously and considered paying for it.

*reading the metadata (id tags) from WAV files!!! like it does in J River, and dBpoweramp.

*simple library sorting from metadata and search function like foobar eg.

*album art viewer built in.

there is a couple of things i'd like to see added

Nice (?) to see none of these are related to sound...

reading the metadata (id tags) from WAV files

For metadata, I recommend using FLAC files. If this is about ID3v2 tags embedded into WAV, I'd say it is unlikely to appear. Some WAV metadata tags may appear at some time, but currently I don't have any WAVs with metadata to test with and there doesn't seem to be any consistent spec for it.

simple library sorting from metadata and search function

Sorting is there already, just click on column headers. I may add search once I figure out how to do it without cluttering the UI.

album art viewer built in

For the desktop version I don't know what to remove to make space for it, but upcoming new embedded UI has it.

hmm,

i guess the sorting from metadata i wont see if the id tags from wavs aren't supported.

would you like me to send you a wav file with common metadata attached? windows media player, j river and dbpoweramp read them fine, so it's official metadata added.

i guess the sorting from metadata i wont see if the id tags from wavs aren't supported

It should still attempt to reconstruct metadata from directory tree. So artist/performer/album/song information should have content.

If you have some old scan content from an old version, then clearing the path listing and rescanning should help.

If your library isn't set up to suit HQPlayer you can use TagScanner (a handy free program) to re-order your library according to tag data. I set mine up by genre folders so that allows me to sort on files by genre at least.

I just copied my files to a new folder and reordered them to suit. Works well but you find out in a hurry which of your music isn't properly tagged..... I use Tag&rename to do that though you can do it inside JRiver too (and probably TagScanner).

I still enjoy HQPlayer - Miska why don't you talk to JRiver - at least for me/my set up HQPlayer beats JRiver for clarity, dynamics tonal color and just plain fun. JRiver's interface is few lightyears ahead of course ;o) Sound wise I find JRiver a little more diffuse/bloomy/veiled. I've no idea if this is just me/my system or a common finding. Anyway everyone likes different things so no right or wrong here....

Compliments are due to Miska for the trouble he has gone to and the sharing of his knowledge on this site,

Murray

Proper WAV ID tag reading from HQplayer, rather than just file name reading would be a great thing, there are a few of us who don't do flac.

• 1 month later...

HQPlayer is a very nice player.

For me HQPlayer sounds better than Foobar, cMP/cPlay and River Media Player.

The distinctive capacity is excellent and the the sound is more balanced.

You can use the player without the need to shut down almost every application, this ia a great advantage above cMP.

The big disadvantage is the lack of features concerning the playlist management. Working with paths is devious and no shuffle of random playing is available. That are things to improve.

But about the sound quality, it's the best player i have heard.

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

The big disadvantage is the lack of features concerning the playlist management. Working with paths is devious and no shuffle of random playing is available. That are things to improve.

I'd like to comment a bit on this topic.

HQPlayer has been designed from ground-up to be specifically "album player" instead of "playlist player". One reason is that I listen mainly to progressive rock, jazz and classical music where preserving order of songs or movements is especially important, since each album forms a work of art in itself, as an entire piece. I also like to support this artistic view. "Paths" equal to albums, it just reflects the fact that each album is supposed to equal to a subdirectory of files. The new touch GUI just talks about library, even though the concept is still artist/album/song layout and the only related control is "rescan library".

Random playback is technically easy thing to do, but in light of previous, I have personal disgust towards it, and I've never used it in my life. So spending precious GUI estate and clearness for buttons for these kind of functions is unlikely. (each button in the GUI takes space and adds UI clutter)

Regarding playlists, later there will be support for a playlist (pls/m3u) transport, where a playlist equals to an album in the player's concept.

P.S. Earlier someone complained about lack of support for cover art, it's there now in the new touch GUI.

It has a very easy to use playlist (sorry Miska :)) and it sounds very well.

No problem, freedom of choice is a good thing. And different players focus on different things. HQPlayer focuses on quality of resamplers (oversampling/upsampling) (*), other processing algorithms and multichannel playback. If these are not important, then it's not the right player for you.

It's trying to be different from other players, also in terms of user interface and concepts. Some like it, some don't, that's life.

*) I talk about resamplers, since most of the provided ones can also convert sampling rate downwards.

Hey Miska - I just freed up a Win7 machine to play with at home, but... it is in a rather difficult to access location. (As in, on the top shelf of a temporary rack in my office area. :)

Have you done anything with remote control yet? Also, how hard would it be to take a copy of my iTunes library, either in ALAC or AIFF and use it with HQPlayer?

Have to go out to a low end DAC though, an HRT Music Streamer II.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Have you done anything with remote control yet?

For the Desktop version, standard IR remotes work as well as things like VNC, but that's not probably what you mean (even though VNC works fairly OK on iPad, depending on application).

The Embedded version has a separate headless engine and control GUI application, talking to each other over network. Needs a bit of manual configuration to set up. The control GUI is optimized for touch screens and finger use, either minimum 800x600 for 4:3 or 1366x720 for 16:9. Currently Windows version of the control GUI is available, but Linux and OS X versions are coming too (well, it has been originally developed on Linux in first place).

Also, how hard would it be to take a copy of my iTunes library, either in ALAC or AIFF and use it with HQPlayer?

Currently supported formats are CDDA, FLAC, WAV, DFF and DSF (latter two are DSD file formats).

I'm a bit cautious about supporting ALAC. AIFF would be possible, but it is not very high on my TODO-list. Batch conversion to FLAC should be fairly easy to do, but naturally takes a bit of extra disk space depending on size of the library.

It is not possible for me to select wasapi in HQPlayer, only ASIO. Is there a way to select wasapi instead of ASIO?

Yes, two start-menu entries are installed, one that starts it in WASAPI mode and another that starts it in ASIO mode.

Is it possible to play trough a spdif (digital out) with HQPlayer?

Yes, in WASAPI mode you can just select the correct S/PDIF as output device. In ASIO mode you need to either adjust "Channel offset" in the settings or use the "Channel mapping" feature.

For example with EMU 0404 USB ASIO, channels 0 and 1 are analog output left and right and channels 2 and 3 are digital output left and right. So you can select 2 channels and set channel offset to 2.

Especially with the control GUI bit.

Why are you cautious about support ALAC? (Just curious)

I could convert to FLAC, but then, it is a real pain to keep the albums together, in particular the classical albums. Have not figured a clean way to convert 'em.

I could "convert them in place" if you can read the iTunes XML or library file though. ???

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Why are you cautious about support ALAC?

Nothing technical really...

I could convert to FLAC, but then, it is a real pain to keep the albums together, in particular the classical albums.

I just have filenames prefixed with nn running number (01, 02, 03) and directory structure artist(composer)/album(work)/song(movement). Then I use "performer" field in the FLAC metadata for the necessary extra info about orchestra/conductor, since I've found this layout to work most universally across different types of music. This has been the most universal solution to work with any metadata format or lack of such.

The ripping tool I use (grip) is fairly flexible.

I could "convert them in place" if you can read the iTunes XML or library file though.

I'd guess there are some conversion tools for OS X and Windows to do it conveniently. Along with suitable directory structure too.

Well, I would probably do it on the PC. The actual ALAC or AIFF files are platform agnostic anyway, so I would probably put a copy of the library on the PC, then point dbPowerAmp at it.

Problem is a lot of the albums in the iTunes database are setup like the image below, and while iTunes knows to treat it like an album, I'm not sure how to auto-convert thousands of these.

Robert A. Heinlein

Problem is a lot of the albums in the iTunes database are setup like the image below, and while iTunes knows to treat it like an album, I'm not sure how to auto-convert thousands of these.

As long as the metadata on the "Info" tab is good and gets reasonably converted to the target format the result should be fairly OK, depending on how clever the conversion tool is. In this case 'artist' is "Compilations" and album is "Amadeus [Disc 1]". IIRC iTunes structure is "Album artist" -> "artist" and "Artist" -> "performer", if "Album artist" is empty, then "Album artist" == "Compilations" and "Artist" in metadata should get to "performer" in FLAC.

For albums that are really just collections of unrelated works, like "summer hits of 2011" -style ones, I have artist called "Various" which I think equals to what iTunes calls "Compilations". Then the "performer" metadata field tells the actual artist.

When "Keep my music organized" is checked, iTunes does pretty good job of keeping the files in "standard" directory structure layout even if metadata is changed. Although I've sometimes faced need to reconnect some files with it's library. The biggest annoyance is that the metadata from their servers is not always consistent in style, especially for classical music... :(

• 4 weeks later...

I thought previously if you bought HQPlayer you had a license for both the Desktop and Embedded versions. Now it seems that each version is a separate purchase and if that's the case the potential buyer may want to choose one over the other. So why the change and is there any guidance on which version to buy?

Also with the reported soon release of DSD DACs, do you have any plans to update the HQPlayer software to allow pure DSD playback?