IGNORED

New speakers

So, I sent all my speakers & subs back to the dealer while I made some decisions on the Magnepan 1.7 and/or the Reference 3a MM de Capo IIs. Which left me with the Merlins, so I hooked them up while I was waiting ....

Err.

Yeah. I'm keeping these. If anything, I'll be upgrading. The Merlins are more dynamic, have better imaging, are more coherent, and just plain rock. Yes, the sweet spot is smaller -- but that spot is very sweet indeed. The solution is that I simply need to move my seat and stop my whining about "large sweet spots". Doing more reading on this, it seems that it simply isn't going to happen anyway -- and if it did, it wouldn't be as sweet. LOL.

I'm going to invest the money I've been stockpiling into a new amp/pre/phono rig instead.

• 2 weeks later...

So, made some decisions. Joule-Electra OTL amps, pre and phono driving Merlin VSM-MXR speakers with all the Merlin "Master" trimmings, and also including a pair of Rythmik F12G subs in parallel and governed by a Behringer DEQ2496.

Done.

Now, to wait. The J-E's won't be ready till August. Rythmiks are on backorder till July. The Merlins will hit the earliest, somewhere in June.

Looks like I'm going to need something else to OCD on for the next few months. Ahh, ADD. Ain't it grand.

Hi Scot,

Quick question. Did you order the balanced XLR professional version of the Rythmik F12G subs, or, are you planning to use a different connection with the Behringer DEQ2496?

For what it’s worth, I’ve been experimenting with various sub connections.

Until recently, I was using 3 meter low-level RCA cables between my preamp and sub. After trying different approaches, I find that the sub’s speed, accuracy and overall frequency response is significantly better with a high-level connection between my amp and sub.

My amp has two sets of binding posts for left and right channels. I run bi-wire speaker cables to the main speakers and shotgun speaker cables to the sub. I should mention that I’m using an active powered sub. I have not noticed any addition drain or burden on my stereo amp.

The downside of this approach is that independent attenuation and parametric equalization cannot happen early in the signal chain. These types of adjustments can only take place after the signal has reached the sub (assuming the sub offers these features). It appears that Rythmik F12G subs do have these features.

I’m not sure if your Joule-Electra OTL amps will have two sets of binding posts. If they do, it might be fun to experiment with high-level sub connections. However, if you really like the Behringer DEQ2496, please let us know. I would certainly welcome an even better approach to running my sub. The Behringer unit looks like it delivers a lot of features and flexibility.

Have to say, it looks like you are building one heck of a system. It must be brutal having to wait for everything to arrive. Not sure I could handle the wait till August...good luck with finding patience ; ) Something tells me that your wait will be more than rewarding. Congrats!

Best regards,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Interesting thing about the Merlins is the BAM equalizer. On the plus side, it eliminates all manner of bad harmonics and distortions as well as provide a bit more punch down low. On the negative side, to do some of this distortion-elimination, it has a high-pass filter set at 28Hz. So, can't have that inline with the feed that'll drive the subs. So, they'll have to be driven off the pre-amp via a pair of parallel line outs. No choices there. That said, "everyone says" that high-level is better than line-level, so your experiences have matched that expectation. My hope is that at less than 40Hz, it won't matter much for me.

I'm getting the F12G for two reasons. One, it was recommended. David (Earflappin') has three of them in a Geddes array and says they're great, but if I'm willing to use the Behringer for EQ (on the bass only, I don't want that thing doing EQ on my speakers), then the PEQ on the subs isn't necessary. Oh, and Merlin designer Bobby P says the Rythmik sub is one of the best on the market, regardless of money. He says its very fast and very musical. Better, it's a great match for his speakers. I suppose he'd know. ;-) Anyway, that's one. Two, they're really cheap. The problem is the black cabinets won't be in for another 2.5 months, at least, not with the paper GR driver, which (again) Bobby says is the one to get (oh, and it's $50 less than the aluminum driver, so win-win there). And apparently, the cabinets need to be in before they'll turn on orderability, so I can't even order them until June. [sigh]

Aside from the Behringer, my whole system is/will be single-ended. So, I'll probably plug some adapters into the Behringer and run everything downstream balanced, so yeah, I'll try and get the F12G's with the XLR option.

A color/clear-coat automotive finish on the Rythmik subs to match your Merlin speakers would be cool.

Since there is already a wait time, maybe the folks at Rythmik would be willing to send the sub enclosures out to a local custom shop for a spray? The cost may turn out to be surprisingly reasonable.

Just a kinda crazy thought...

Cheers,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

• 2 months later...

Forgot to mention that a pair of Rythmik Audio F12G subwoofers in black oak showed up yesterday! I got the XLR upgrade, which meant the 370w amps were required. No worries.

I'm running them single-ended right now, with the onboard bass management controls and damned if the subs didn't lock right in. I think I might just send the Behringer (and cables) back! Yes, I probably have them turned up too high, but daaaayaaaam! That's some kick!

Merlins and JE gear have not shown up yet. The former should be here in about 2 weeks; the latter should appear about a month after that.

You say you haven’t ruled anything out (?) How about building your own?

I like bass. My monitors are stand mount and they do gorgeous bass.

If building your own is an option this company does some of the best bass units available.

http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/

I’ve used the B250 classic and their ABR’s in my current speakers.

I’ve also used the R3853 in another build.

They are far from cheap but soundwise they are very hard to beat

Dedicated Mains Cond dis block. Custom Linux Voyage MPD server. HRT Music Streamer Pro, Linear mains powered ADUM Belkin Gold USB cable. TP Buffalo 11, Custom XLR interconnects/Belkin Silver Series RCA. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp.Van de Hull hybrid air lock speaker cables. Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi. HD595 cans.[br]2)Quantum Elec based active system self built.

Please keep us informed on your progress. I am very interested in knowing how the Rythmiks blend with the Merlins. It is hard to believe all the hype on the Rythmiks, 'cause their price is so reasonable. I am sure you will find any flaws if there are any. I would consider running these from the high level inputs, as most subs that allow for this integrate better this way.

I have heard the JE/Merlin combo many times at shows, always a dynamic treat!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I spoke with Bobby @ Merlin at some length about a match up. I approached it obliquely -- it's never a nice thing to appear to be insulting a manufacturer about any of his "kids" -- and asked him what I could do if I wanted to "enhance the bottom end" of his VSM speakers. He didn't so much as blink but said: "Get a pair of Rythmiks" and you'll be "blown away". Which was awesome as I'd already gotten a great recommendation of these subs from Earflappin' -- it's nice when everyone is unequivocal. ;-)

I asked Bobby some follow up questions just to be sure he wasn't blowing smoke, but he was adamant -- the servo tech that Rythmik uses is extremely effective. FWIW, he also recommended the paper drivers over the aluminum as being a significantly better . So, I ordered a pair of F12Gs.

The way Bobby described the Rythmiks was a series of superlatives: very fast, very deep, and very musical.

The amp on the subs do have XLR and RCA inputs, master/slave settings, low/hi pass filter settings, Q settings, the works. They do have speaker-level inputs too, but to use those, I'd need to have the amp feed them. Unfortunately, this is a problem with Merlins (at least, it is for the floorstanders) because of the Bass Augmentation Module (BAM) that Bobby uses to bump up bass output in the mid-30Hz region. The BAM also has a brick wall filter to eliminate all signal below 30Hz in order to eliminate low-freq cabinet "rumble". So, line inputs are going to be required with Merlin integration -- the BAM needs to be out of the signal path or the subs will only get signal down to 30Hz, which would be a waste.

Bobby suggests setting the crossover @ 40Hz (but I use 45-50 to fine effect). I've set the damping to "HI", the rumble filter to "ON", the extension to 14Hz and the slope to 50Hz/24dB (I'm guessing with these settings). Each sub is in phase (so, set to 0) with the speakers as they're next to each other, with the sub between the speaker and the wall. The output level is set to (approx) the same output level as the speakers.

So, the sound. In a word, they're great! I think they're faster than the Velodynes, not as lean as the JL's, and as deep as I could want. They really do add great deal of info -- its very easy, now, to exclusively focus on a double-bass track. My concern was that with the crossover set so low (~45Hz), there wouldn't be much value to adding a pair of subs. Seems that that was unfounded. There's a lot of "stuff" happening down low that the extra output really helps bring out. I'm loving it.

Integration with my speakers is pretty good. Could it be better? I don't know! My preliminary feeling is that the speakers still sound like they did -- but now the bottom end has more weight. Pretty good result, IMO.

I have a Behringer DCX2496 and an omni mic I'm waiting on cables for -- should be here tomorrow. I'll probably crack it all open to see if I can get a better feel for where I'm at, see if there are any nulls I can take care of, that sort of thing. But I'm not sure it'll help. I have the room pretty damped (ATS and GIK absorbers pretty much everywhere) as it is, so I'm not expecting much in the way of an oddball room response. Whatever, I'll try it all out. If it's noticeably better, I'll keep it. If not, I won't.

But so far? Very happy -- and I thoroughly recommend the subs. At $700 each, they're a steal.