IGNORED

Audio MYTHS

Nobody here are trying to teaching you, of course!. Is just a help to you for you can try to evaluate THE SOUND of a sofware (no his functionality) (This is about the sound?) .

I read your points and one of your very first points are about the volume change, sorry, no volume change with the level at max, this was the origin of my intervention.

The other problems are your personal problems with Amarra.

-----------------------------------

As to Amarra, the issues I mentioned are quite irritating for me - have not seen any arguments against but just teaching me to change my behaviour to conform to a lousy computer application. (you can read again my points if you want).

As to problems with large libraries check the Amarra documentation - they themselves bring this warning, however they do not define what is a big library ?

-------------------------------------

P.S. Live and leave live.

Mac Mini >Amarra Mini>Apogee MiniDAC>Ars Sonum Filarmonia SXE>Quad ESL 2805[br]www.susoramallo.com[br]

"Still, spending quite some time in concert halls, opera halls, churches, jazz clubs listening to all kinds of music I never have seen anybody checking the humidity of the air and the music still sounds great on most occasions."

Hi WL - I know for a fact that Walter Becker of Steely Dan gets is analog tape for recording from Thailand because "th[at] particular part of the world ... has the absolute perfect climatic conditions for the manufacture of magnetic recording tape"

It's clearly not the same thing you are talking about but you reminded me of this story.

http://walterbecker.com/hullo.html

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Guest WATERLOGIC

"Nobody here are trying to teaching you, of course!. Is just a help to you for you can try to evaluate THE SOUND of a sofware (no his functionality) (This is about the sound?) ."

I was honestly trying to evaluate the Sound of Amarra - as said this was not possible.

(As you may know the design/implementation of Volume control in a good player is quite important.)

With the other apps (Pure Vinyl, Play, Itunes) this was easily achievable . Listening through a good pair of cans one can notice there is a difference if any. If something sounds different it still does not mean it is a real life faithful reproduction. ( I just tried what you suggested: max vol. position in Amarra, Play, PV, Itunes listening through Sennheiser HD 800 fed by Lehmann audio black cube linear amp - guess what : I liked Pure Vynil and littlebit less Play, Amarra did not move me a bit and ITunes far from producing anything that would dismiss it).

For me iTunes is the winner (correct sound, functionality, ease of use, and at last but not least FREE of CHARGE) .

"The other problems are your personal problems with Amarra."

How can a living being have a personal problem with a piece of dead computer code. And last time I checked I was still alive. Com'on man !

"But, if you use a heavy digital attenuation without a proper dither you can degrade the sound."

Yes, I Agree. That is why the proper volume control design is so important in a player (and iTunes have a quite good design of this part - or you disagree? ). And, also, I do not use heavy digital attennuation.

I suggest you listen to iTunes through a really good neutral pair of Cans like above mentioned Sennheiser HD 800 or Bayerdynamics, play with both software and hardware volume controls around mid-values - and if you hear any sound degradation I am buying you a big beer. I am not trying to teach you, just make yourself a favor and try it out.

There is "L'Art" and there is "L'Art pour L'Art" and there are the colours of the Rainbow and definitely there is Snake-Oil-Magic, too.

Kind regards

WL

I suggest you listen to iTunes through a really good neutral pair of Cans like above mentioned Sennheiser HD 800 or Bayerdynamics, play with both software and hardware volume controls around mid-values - and if you hear any sound degradation I am buying you a big beer.

I will tell you different : Hop over to my place, bring any analogue attenuation you like (be it a 10K preamp or a 2c resistor), do not forget to bring your beer, and I will "teach" your ears what to listen for.

But we'll drink the beer together anyway.

IOW :

If you don't perceive a difference between an analogue volume and a digital volume, someting is seriously wrong somewhere. Why ? because the both just work completely different (for net result), and it is unavoidable. And you know what ? any analogue volume is WORSE than a digital volume, just because of the principle. Of course, first a decently working digital volume is required, and it has been said it before : iTunes does not have that (nor does Amarra, which I only say because it can be better, that's all).

So, is this important ? maybe not, but it is related to the snake oil subject;

If Amarra is sliding up the volume opposed to how it should be, it could be a trick to let you think it sounds better (because minds often think louder is better). But there are also other tricks playing a role here :

If this is a coincidental bug in Amarra, this is not the reason that the digital volume of Amarra s*cks or Amarra doesn't sound good in the first place. Why ? well, because it is just (assumed) a bug, and this may play tricks on your mind. You now don't *want* to listen anymore, because you think you are fooled. But it is just a bug ...

To be honest, I personally wouldn't know how to "copy" the volume level of another player, knowing that scales of sliders are different, and worse, that steps are different (which latter makes an equal volume level completely impossible). Even if I were able to analyse the output for volume level, it would be a very difficult job to determine "my" volume to set from it.

Having said this all, I will 100% agree with you that in this way an honest comparison is not possible. IOW, this can only be done when it can be assumed the volume levels are 100% the same, and I mean 100%. That this leads to the conclusion of some "hey boy, why don't you check at full volume then", for sure wouldn't be the solution for me, because I coincidentally do not use a preamp and I never will either (or sound is bad as hell to begin with).

Allright, just 2c here. But not to forget : I go for the beer !

Haha

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Hello,

-----------------------------

I was honestly trying to evaluate the Sound of Amarra - as said this was not possible.

(As you may know the design/implementation of Volume control in a good player is quite important.)

With the other apps (Pure Vinyl, Play, Itunes) this was easily achievable

------------------------------

If is just for try the sound quality, you can use the level at max for do the trying (No for live with this system)

------------------------------------

Listening through a good pair of cans one can notice there is a difference if any. If something sounds different it still does not mean it is a real life faithful reproduction. ( I just tried what you suggested: max vol. position in Amarra, Play, PV, Itunes listening through Sennheiser HD 800 fed by Lehmann audio black cube linear amp - guess what : I liked Pure Vynil and littlebit less Play, Amarra did not move me a bit and ITunes far from producing anything that would dismiss it).

For me iTunes is the winner (correct sound, functionality, ease of use, and at last but not least FREE of CHARGE) .

I suggest you listen to iTunes through a really good neutral pair of Cans like above mentioned Sennheiser HD 800 or Bayerdynamics, play with both software and hardware volume controls around mid-values - and if you hear any sound degradation I am buying you a big beer. I am not trying to teach you, just make yourself a favor and try it out.

---------------------------------

I personally prefer use speakers (In a good room), for me stereo image is very important and I can't achieved this with headphones (IMMO the better and wide stereo image is part of the Amarra's charm). But, I did the test before bought the software with my headphones (at max level), and I like the Amarra over the iTunes. Usually I use Stax (Sigma MkI or Omega with a Stax amp).

As well, I did some blind test with loudspeakers (In my house and on my studio), this was the reason that I take some time for take a measures of the Amarra, because I believed that the Amarra used any kind of equalization or dynamic compressor on some bands, but I could not find anything of this, just a better low pass filter and I presume that a kind of psicoacoustic dither

Cheers.

Mac Mini >Amarra Mini>Apogee MiniDAC>Ars Sonum Filarmonia SXE>Quad ESL 2805[br]www.susoramallo.com[br]

Copper Couplers over my IEC's - shields against RFI, really adds body to the sound

Child Proof A/C protectors inside my unused electrical outlets - takes away any possible ringing in the un-loaded spring metal contacts inside the outlet. Reduced vibrations are always a good thing.

OT

"Just think : take the weight of the planetary system : the Sun is

99,85% of the total 100% mass the rest are the planets"

so you would not mind, then, if on a bright sunny day I focused a magnifying glass (a very small number in terms of the all important PTQ:planetary weight quotient) above your bare hand.

back to more on topic physics regarding air density. Humidity makes the medium more dense. Ask any meteorologist. As such, it transports sound better. Ask any whale. Or, to quote from an old movie slogan 'in space, no one can hear you scream.'

classe and eggleston. Looking for mr goodDAC

Guest WATERLOGIC

"Just think : take the weight of the planetary system : the Sun is

99,85% of the total 100% mass the rest are the planets"

so you would not mind, then, if on a bright sunny day I focused a magnifying glass (a very small number in terms of the all important PTQ:planetary weight quotient) above your bare hand.

Yeah - but without the sun > no action ! And yes, what was your point ?? Trust me, the CO2 hysteria is one of the biggest frauds in known history !

As regards your Physics - you should quit the company of meteorologist and whales, sooner the better.

(humidity (water wapour) can make vacuum denser for example, never the air in Earth's atmosphere - obviously you missed your elementary chemistry/physics course - but you can always make an obvious experiment boiling a cup of water - > watch where the vapour goes (if you are on Earth it shoud rise i.e. go up >> because water wapour is lighter then the surrounding air in your room).

And WATER LOGIC is opposite to Hard Rock Logic (which still makes this poor world weep) !

Take care !

WL

And yes, what was your point ?? '

my point was to add some daylight to your rather shaky idea about relative mass and it's affects on temp. Your planetary system weight quotient idea. See venus for an idea about what CO2 levels can do.

''Yeah - but without the sun > no action !' and your point was? was it that global warming is a hoax cuz there is no sun? I'm missing the analogy here.

as per the fraud, well, you and Ms. Palin have a nice warm day. I'll stick with the thousands of scientists.

classe and eggleston. Looking for mr goodDAC

Guest WATERLOGIC

What is your definition of daylight ? Again : no Sun no Daylight, no action ? . I thought there is completely different soup in Venus atmosphere ? How is Venus - you've been there !? Tell us about it.

"I'll stick with the thousands of scientists."

Yes, just like milions following thousands of Hitler's scientists/experts in 2nd world war Germany...

Do not follow, use your head.

CO2 fraud is a Devil's business with elaborate agenda which leads into Global Genocide . To see this you need just to open your mind a little bit.

Who is Ms. Palin ? Is she worth the trouble ?

I have 1m of snow - and my central heating bill is sky-high !?

There is no god, no guide, no guru, no leader, no priest it is just "you" a part of Earth's nature and as long as you do not figure this out yourself you will remain just a boring follower ...

Regards

WL

Hey - just came across this thread (way behind on my CA reading).... those blackbodies sound interesting, be curious on how they impacted the sound in your setup. placement make a big difference?

I ordered a few weeks back a funny "tweak" item and very curious what it might do. The Acoustic Revive RR-77. Had a couple folks recommend it to me, and it's a stretch but I figured I'd try it for fun. LOL!!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticrevive/rr77.html

btw, per your other message, I have noticed the CD treatments, mats, and demags have made a very noticeable difference in realtime playback as well, but struggle to hear any difference when doing rips with a good quality drive at low speeds. I use a mat for good measure anyway these days. The vibration dampening for whatever reason still makes a difference to my ears when ripping (3M tape that SandyK had recommended a while back and using some vibrapod feet under the drive).

Happy tweaking!

Hi, i have about 2 hours of net listening time and I have a new Base for my speakers. So right now I cannot say for sure what is doing what in my System. But the change is profound, that i have to get Used to it. One sentence: New Dimension in clarity. I wont have much listeining time in the Next couple of weeks. But i will keep the blackbodies for sure.

I actually had the rr77 3 weeks running. But Never had the Chance for some abing. Since i brought it back i have the feeling so

something is missing. I know that People react quite differently to the Schumann resonance. I Know People who say that the rr77 effect was easy to hear. The same people said that they couldnt hear differences with fuses. I will try the rr77 again.!

Claude

I have been an audiophile for several decades. So have gone through a lot of discoveries that cables and power cords... etc make a difference. Rebecca Pidgeon's recording of Spanish Harlem is my standard test track. Her voice, the silence are incredibly telling of the system youu are listening to. Her voice can sound stripped down and naked or robust and full of nuance with midrange bloom. I have never heard a better recording that brings out differences in system. I have other recording for different aspects of the sound, but that to me is the sensitive to system changes. JD

• 1 year later...

The other day I started my humidifier for the winter months, (I own acoustic guitars and want to keep them whole). When the humidity goes below 30% I crank it up. Didn't think anything of it.

A little later I listened to music on my system. "Wow, it sounds so much better tonight." I would describe it as sweet(er) more musical. Dare I say more liquid, not at all dessicated. "What gives, I haven't changed anything?"

I pondered for a while. Then I remembered the humidifier.

Several weeks or maybe a month ago my music sounded really good to me. I'd made several minor changes. Then slowly over time I became less satisfied with the sound. I didn't really think about it, it was just a minor nag in the back of my mine.

I didn't start up the humidifier with better sound in mind. Draw your own conclusions.

If anyone wants to experiment, here are my numbers. I keep humidity in the 32-35% range. If you need to buy a humidifier, research it carefully. They can be noisy, inefficient and a real pain in the.... But besides protecting delicate wood products, they can also make life a bit more pleasant in the heating season dry months, even if your music doesn't go liquid.

-Chris