IGNORED

AES16 advice

Hi all,

I'm currently considering changing to AES/EBU and using custom cables.

Does this "dual-wire" mode allow for the use of two separate cables? I see it lowers the amount of i/o channels when used, but I'm not clear on the custom cable(s) I would need.

I would like to have only AES in and out, but possible add word clock on BNC in and out.

I will be doing wet monitoring of vinyl with digital RIAA applied (currently using a modified 1616M that is slaved to a Black Sparrow).

I'm considering a Mytek 192 ADC as it has battery power option, and word clock in and out. then I could play around with slaving Mytek to Lynx and vice-versa, sycnrolock etc.

EDIT* - I have been reading the manual, and since I would probably just use the dedicated word clock output of the Mytek, I could use one cable with (2) AES and (1) BNC. Seems that the BNC word clock input becomes a word clock output when move to Port B though, which is interesting.

thanks

hifitubes

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Is the AES16 a card that will auto-switch sample rate on the fly?

The only caveat with moving the AES16 for me is the routing. they claim it is very flexible but the manual leaves me skeptical.

Currently, I'd rather record in Wavelab while simultaneously monitoring wet in Samplitude. This is pretty easy in EMU Patchmix.

I may just stick with my current setup for now but I do like the dedicated word clock out and AES/EBU i/o on the lynx the Sparrow has AES output (and Mytek) which I am not using, and my Eastern Electric DAC will have AES input.

I can record in Sampitude but it's a strange mode, and export of wav is kind of a pain.

hifi

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Disclaimer: I'm using a Mac Pro.

I use an AE16e, clocked by an external source. I just switched from the standard Lynx cable to a Redco cable that provides 2 AES out along with a BNC clock cable. Sounds great, and no more "octopus". A 2 meter cable cost me $70 using Gotham Audio AES cable.

If you set the AES16 to accept an external clock, it will adjust its sample rate on the fly. Using an external clock, the clock will always control the Lynx, so using software that automatically adjusts the sample rate (like Play or Amarra) won't change the rate.

The output setting on the Lynx are very flexible. You have I/O control over every cable and channel.

HTH. . .

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

I'll probably email Redco at some point. I do have a friend who could do pro terminations using solid core silver.

Question, could I have one solo output AES cable on Port A, and another with AES input, and word clock in BNC on Port B?

The manual mentioned something about Port B defaulting word clock to output if on B (can barely remember), so maybe switch that to Port A cable.

If you get a chance can we see a picture of your cable?

I'm intrigued at the prospect of using the Lynx with my setup. Another thing, I wasn't clear on if you meant that:

clock internally - allows auto-switch sample rate

clock externally - does not allow auto-switch sample rate

...when using something like Amarra or J. River set to output the source/original sample rate of the file.

How do they achieve the impedance for 75ohm BNC and 110ohm AES on the connector; maybe it's the traces on the board the the specific pins run to?

Thanks for posting your experiences!

hifi

Not sure what the manual says, but the pin assignment says word in on terminal A and word out on terminal B. I'm pretty sure for the input that you can set the sample rate to what ever you want and lock it or let it auto sample rate. The lock feature is for the broadcast folks that need a set sample rate all the time.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

PS you can always e-mail or call Lynx customer support and get the definitve answer before you buy!

I'm not sure what you mean by "port". The clock input should be separate from the audio channels.

Clocking internally means that (in Mac) Midi will control the Lynx sample rate. If you have software that will automatically adjust SR, it will control the Lynx. If you externally clock, the SR on the Lynx will only change when you change your clock. This means that if you use an external clock, you lose the convenience provided by auto SR adjustment.

I'll try to get a pic of the cable. . .

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +