IGNORED

Today's DAC versus those of yesteryear

As a comment, DACs have certainly existed before computer audio exists.

There are lots of DACs that have been constructed for CD transport usage such as Mark Levinson, Chord, Musical fidelity and don't have USB and firewire inputs.

As a dicussion point, many were recognised as good DACs, some average etc.

Excluding USB and firewire input and software filters, how technologically different are DACs of say 5 years ago versus the ones on the market now such as DAC magic.

Has technology improved revolutionary for non-USB and non-firewire DACs?

Is it just repackaging so to speak for the Chord DAC64 which in it's day considered very very good.

Keep on Upgrading!!!

It depends how you assess the older DACs I think.

For example - if you compare the Chord DAC64 to its current replacement the QBD76; the sound quality of the QBD76 is arguably superior. However (assuming you don't own the older model) you can pick up a second hand DAC64 for around £1200 which could be compared to a modern £1000-1500 and would stand up well (again IMO).

The problem is buying anything second hand you have the problem of often not being able to test out the equipment in your own system, so comparisons are often difficult to make.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 year later...

Some people swear by Museatex DACs.

I myself am quite partial to true multibit DACs, most of which tend to be older designs. Although of course Naim, Audio Note, GTE Audio, GD-Audio, LessLoss and Phasure (and I'm sure many other 'discerning' companies) use them in their current designs.

But one area where I think time has been less kind to older DAC designs is the design of the filter used. Computational power must surely have been a limiting factor.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

As regards the Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3, if you put even half the effort into the PSU area, that many people do with the Buffalo 11 DAC, you will find it gives it a damn good run for the money.

A 24.576MHZ TCXO replacing the existing Xtal oscillator, and a few polypropylene capacitors in the DIR 1703E external filer area work wonders too.(pins 22 to 24) Replacing the opamps with later types such as the OPA2134, with the LME49710HA metal can I.C. at the output is also beneficial

Replacing the existing AC wallwart with a high quality external dual regulated +-15 to 15.5V PSU makes a very worthwhile improvement too, even without taking the cover off the unit!

As usual , for best DAC performance, it's power supply, power supply,and power supply.

SandyK

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Typically overlooked is the quality of the analogue output stage. This is one area where an older dac may trump a newer one, and, depending on whom you ask, is the aspect which accounts for more variability in sound quality than any other. Yes, even more so than the chipsets used for the conversion from D to A.

In support of this view, it is not uncommon to find reports of dacs that use identical chipsets to sound remarkably different.

Ron

My answer to room acoustics? ...Headphones!

...I would like to find a forum where the members discuss all of the finer points of audio circuitry all the way down to this level of discussing part numbers and types of capacitors etc.

I want to start building audio electronics as a hobby and have much to learn.

thanks,

jp

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

"Check out diyaudio.com. Huge community with some massive threads. DACs, speakers, amps, you name it. Beware the huge amount of time you can spend there...Roscoeiii"

I agree. But be aware that some of the members, who think they know everything, can be a little hard to take at times. Chris takes a tighter reign on OTT behaviour here.

Overall, this place is much friendlier.

Alex

http://www.diyaudio.com/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

This has been another unpaid for commercial !