IGNORED

Re-building an itune library

A friend has given me a copy of my CDs which he ripped into Apple Lossless files via itune except he only gave me the music files and not any of the library or album cover files. I have my brand new NAS and mac Mini blinking at me waiting to be loaded up. What is the quickest and most painless way to turn these files into an itune library on my NAS that both my new Mac Mini and Mac Pro can access? Mac Mini is to be the music sever and the Mac Pro for maintenance and day job!

Thanks guys.

Wai Yee

Mac Mini (iTune) + ALAC on Synology 409 NAS > Transparent USB cable >Benchmark DAC1 >Neutrik XLR >Jeff Rowland Continuum Integrated Amp >B&W 802 speakers

Let's assume that you've already set up iTunes and that, though Preferences, you've established a folder for iTunes media on your NAS.

At this point, all you have to do is drag all of the ALAC files into the iTunes window. Once the files have been transferred, go to the Advanced menu and select Get Album Artwork. You're now done.

Thanks for the suggestion. By iTune window I presume you mean on my Mac Pro or Mac Mini.

So there is no other way of creating the library file except to drag each of the ALAC files manually into iTune? Just that there is about 200G of music!! I tried just dragging the folder of files in and no can do!

Mac Mini (iTune) + ALAC on Synology 409 NAS > Transparent USB cable >Benchmark DAC1 >Neutrik XLR >Jeff Rowland Continuum Integrated Amp >B&W 802 speakers

I believe I did that and what ended up was a list of the songs in my iTune library but when I click onto the song, it says it cannot locate the file. I have to physically either play or drag that song into iTune. Was hoping to avoid having to do this a few thousand times!

You can select all of the files (Command-A within the relevant folder, or you can use the Select All command from the Edit menu in Finder) and drag all of the files -- at once -- into the iTunes window (which is the window which lists your music). iTunes will then store all of the added songs in the folder you designated in Preferences >> Advanced >> iTunes Media folder location.

Then select Get Album Artwork from the Advanced menu.

That's it!