IGNORED

Using 2 drives with iTunes

Cemil

I am configuring a headless Mac Mini running Amarra Mini to act as a server. I have presently all my music files on an external 500GB drive - unfortunately, these were all ripped in the past using 256kb mp3. I use these to load various iPods with lists. I have over 2600 CDs ripped in that format, so these will form the basis of my music library. I intend to rip new CDs in AIFF format, and download some 96/24 files too.

Ideally, I would like to keep the mp3 on this external drive and add in the new content (AIFF or hi-res) on the Mini's internal 500 GB drive. Is that possible? If so, how? If not, I will probably have to get another external drive to put all the music on it.

Another question concerns having different resolutions on the same drive. I understand that Amarra will deal with this automatically. However, iTunes is presently set to rip a disc when inserted, and the highest res possible is AIFF. How do I rip 96/24 DVDs that I have (such as the extra disc of King Crimson's Red)?

Thanks for any help

Guest WATERLOGIC

You can use as many HDDs with itunes as you like. Several ways to do it.

============================================

Lets say you have a MUSIC FOLDER on your internal (or external drive) with music files.

You open itunes and drag that folder into itunes. If you want to rip to this folder you go to Itunes Preferences > Advanced > Itunes media folder location and you change to that specific folder . (make sure "Copy files to iTunes Media flder when adding to library" is ticked on).

If you add aditional disk(s) you just do the same procedure every time.

Ripping DVD-Audio discs :

===============

1. Download DVDA Explorer

Windows:

http://rapidshare.com/files/316022372/DVDAExplorer2008.07.21.rar

MAC:

http://rapidshare.com/files/316023429/DVDAExplorerBeta3OSX.rar

( NOTE : the Mac version is a port of the Windows version i.e. the mac version could have some issues (although it works in most cases). In case of problems do the ripping on a Windows machine using the Windows version)

read the user manual:

http://rapidshare.com/files/316024740/DVD-Audio_Explorer_User_Manual_17.06.08.html

This will rip the DVDA to 24/96 (or what ever you have: some rare DVD-As have even 24/192 files > like Grover Washington jr. "Winelight", some are 24/48 or 24/41.6 etc ) WAV files. You can convert those using XLD (I use this one - much faster) or MAX to Apple lossless or AIFF - you will need to do the tagging manually.

I ripped my cca 30 DVD-A s collection - it works like a charm.

There are many 4 channel and 5.1 DVD-As - Sometimes you can extract the Stereo mix, sometimes not. In such cases you have to convert the wav files using another software(s) /like "dbpoweramp music converter" or "foobar2000" (for 5.1 Files) (both are for Windows machines) / into stereo wav files.

Should you need further help - do ask !

Enjoy !

Kind Regards

WL

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

Just to make sure I get this right: by dragging and dropping the MUSCI FOLDER from an external drive into iTunes, the music files stays on the external drive, but the content info is copied into iTunes? ie iTunes will show the music that is on the external drive, but the music itself will stay on the external drive?

Best

Cemil

Guest WATERLOGIC

in Itunes another Media folder location under Preferences > Advanced : untick (deselect) "Copy files to itunes Media folder when adding to library" before dragging the MUSIC FOLDER into itunes.

Actually the LIBRARY can consist of several folders (those can be on the same or on separate disks).

When adding new music (ripping from CDs or dragging new music files/folders into iTunes) these files will be copied to the location as defined in Preferences > Advanced if "Copy files to itunes Media folder when adding to library" is ticked (selected).

If deselected your files will stay in their original location (they will not be copied) but will become part of your LIBRARY i.e. you will be able to access / play them in iTunes.

Example : lets say you have a folder of an album on your desktop .

a/ you want the files to stay where they are : go to Preferences > Advanced "Copy files to itunes Media folder when adding to library" HAS TO BE DESELECTED (unticked).

or

b/ you want the files to be copied to a certain location - lets say to an external drive E into a folder named MUSIC3 : go to Preferences > Advanced "Copy files to itunes Media folder when adding to library" has to be selected(ticked) and use "Change" to point to /Volumes/E/MUSIC3

You can try dragging few files, to see how it works.

Have a nice day !

WL

Thanks - that's really helpful!

Still not succeeded to download DVDA Explorer form rapidshare. It seems to be perma overloaded for the free dowloads, unless of course, the "free" is just a con and unless you pay, you won't get.

Oh well, will keep trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to keep bugging the forum, but I need some more help on iTunes, and I can't get what I need form the Apple web site. Is there a full iTunes manual available somewhere for download?

My issue is as follows:

1- I have abt 2500 CDs ripped in 256 mp3 on an external drive.

2- When I installed the Mac Mini, I wasn't careful to uncheck the box that would keep these files on their drive, so iTunes copied the whole lot on the Mini drive. I still have the external drive intact with all the mp3 files

3- I subsequently bought/downloaded some CDs in 96/24 and they reside on the same internal Mac drive.

4- I ordered a 2x1TB RAID drive to connect to the Mini, on which I intend to put / keep the High res files, as well as any additions in full res ripped CDs. I understand form the help above how to reroute new rips on the 1TB external drive.

5- I also intend to reconnect the external drive with the mp3s to the Mini and leave the Mini's internal disc to store the high res FLAC downloads. Since Amarra cannot play FLACs right now, I will extract the FLACS to AIFF on the 1TB drive.

My question is this:

A- Can I just manually delete the iTunes Media Folder on the Mini's internal drive? Will iTunes figure out by itself that the mp3 files are now sitting on an external drive? If not, how can I accomplish what I intend to do?

B- What about the other files in the iTunes folder? ie iTunes -> Album Artwork or iTunes Library etc.. Do I need to delete any of these?

Fyi, the Mac Mini is only used for music playing. There is absolutely nothing else on it (apart from the usual stuff that comes with the Mac OS). Also, the additional music I put on the Mac (the high rez files) is very limited (5-6 titles) so I can easily reinstall those.

Thanks for any help

Cemil

Hi Cemil - You have a few options. Here is my recommendation.

A- Can I just manually delete the iTunes Media Folder on the Mini's internal drive? Will iTunes figure out by itself that the mp3 files are now sitting on an external drive? If not, how can I accomplish what I intend to do?

Don't delete the local iTunes Media Folder. Disconnect your external drive. If you want to keep the MP3s on the external drive and delete the local files, select all of them currently listed in iTunes and delete them from within the application. Now you'll have one copy of MP3s on the external drive. Connect the external drive. Go to the iTunes preferences >> Advanced tab and uncheck the box that says Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library. Click OK. Use the iTunes Add To Library menu option to select the external drive and all the MP3 files will populate the library without moving to the local drive. When that is done go back into iTunes Preferences and re-check the box so all new files will be added to the library if that is desired.

B- What about the other files in the iTunes folder? ie iTunes -> Album Artwork or iTunes Library etc.. Do I need to delete any of these?

Don't delete any of them.

Founder of Audiophile Style

UPDATED: My Audio Systems -> https://audiophile.style/system