IGNORED

settings

aivTO

I am very new to all this and need help in my set up.

My set (thanks to this site) is a Mac G5 2.3 , OS 10.4.11, with a 60 GB OCZ solid state drive , and an internal Barracuda ES.2, 1 TB hard drive to store music files. The sound card is Lynx Studio Technology: AES16, With a Gotham audio GAC-2AES HD-26 to XLR break-out cable connected to Benchmark DAC1. For software I am using Amarra 1.2/iTunes.

What I would like to know and cannot seem to find from the Lynx manual is how to set up the AES16 in Audio MIDI setup. If some could provide a screen shot? Also how to set up the Lynx using the Lynx Mixer, since I will only be using 2 channels.

Regards, John

Dual 2.3GHz G5 > 8GB ram > OS 10.5.8 > OCZ 60GB SSD + Barracuda ES2 1TB > Pure Music > iTunes > Lynx AES16 > Berkeley Alpha DAC V1 > Quicksilver V4 with KT-150 > Acoustat 6600 & DECCA ribbon tweeters DK30

Hi Chris – I think I got it.

In MIDI settings I select the following options:

Default Input: 1:AES16 in Slot-4

Properties for: 1:AES16 in Slot-4

Audio Input: 1:Record 1

Format: 44100.0Hz 2ch-32 bit

Default Output: 1:AES16 in Slot-4

System Output: 1:AES16 in Slot-4

Audio Output: 1:Play 1

Format: 44100.0Hz 2ch-32 bit

One thing I noticed is Amarra does change and display the format automatically to the mHz of the Aiff file, for example 176.4Hz/24, but when I open MIDI the 176.4Hz is ok but the bit rate alway displays 32 bit, and will not allow any other bit rate. Is this right?

Regards, John

Dual 2.3GHz G5 > 8GB ram > OS 10.5.8 > OCZ 60GB SSD + Barracuda ES2 1TB > Pure Music > iTunes > Lynx AES16 > Berkeley Alpha DAC V1 > Quicksilver V4 with KT-150 > Acoustat 6600 & DECCA ribbon tweeters DK30

I can't answer if 32 bit word length is correct for the AES, but my experience with Amarra is that it does not change the word length (e.g 32, 24 or 16), it only changes the sample rate (44.1khz, 96kz, 176.4 kz etc). So I don't think Amarra is what is causing you to stay at 32 bit. My guess is that is the way you set it to begin with or Audio-Midi think that is what the AES requires.

Great. then I am all set. The only thing I have to address is upgrading my DAC.

Thanks, John