IGNORED

Getting started with streaming on budget

MikePM

I think #2 is going to give you the most flexibility. I have to disagree with "Cost is close to transporter, but less sound quality and I would need to build and set it up myself"

1st. You don't need to go with a NUC. I just tore down a BeeLink AP34 Intel 3450 based system (see the tear down here). It has a quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC SSD, and M.2 2242 expansion for a 2nd drive.  Cost was $179 to my door. 

2nd: Sound quality is 100% in the external DAC because with these SOC's (Systems on a Chip) by Intel (and Intel is the primary creator behind USB) there isn't going to be a problem with it's implementation. 

3rd. You can use a linear regulated PSU with this unit. It only requires 12VDC at 1.5 amp. $30-40 gets you there. 

4th. Noise free. The entire computer is solid state and no fans.

I'm currently running Prime95 to torture test this computer so I'm going to let that run for 24 hours (way overkill in terms of time as most call for just 3 hours). 

5 minutes ago, MikePM said:

Are you planning to use one of the Raspberry Pi's as an endpoint?  

No plans as of right now. From everything I've read the RPi's make a great endpoint. 

I have a few plans for the BeeLink and this is in for torture testing and then onto some builds. I minimally need Windows 10 support which is why I picked it up.

There is an 8GB RAM version of this for $199 with 64GB eMMC also. For just whipping around in Windows 10 it's quick. Boot times are like 10 seconds to log in screen with this.