IGNORED

Getting started with streaming on budget

MikePM

I have read this site for some time and some topics are quite intimidating.  I am hoping to jump into the streaming fray but would like to dip my toe in slowly.  I have some competence with computers, but nothing like most participants here and hesitate to try setting up software on my own.  Further, I hope to be somewhat future proof--I bought a 4K ready a/v receiver only to have the HDMI standard changed by the time everything was hooked up.  

I'm looking to spend about $600 to get started streaming to my stereo, with an ultimate goal of having a roon server with multiple endpoints.  For now I plan to use the Marantz SR7008's DAC until my next purchase, but can also use a Dragonfly Black that I use with an old iphone.  My thoughts regarding options follow, but am really here asking, begging, for advice on how to get started with streaming  uncompressed audio to my stereo.  

(1) Sonic Transporter - requires big budget stretch (and with an Allo Digione player as endpoint it 50% over budget), further, would like to use Deezer's new hi-end service with mqa over Tidal's due to larger catalog, and flow - not sure when or if Roon will eventually incorporate more steaming services;

(2) Roon Rock NUC, - Does it need an endpoint or can you stream directly from NUC to DAC until adding one later?  Cost is close to transporter, but less sound quality and I would need to build and set it up myself; 

(3) Bluesound Node 2 appears rather "buggy" from online posts about it, and based on opinion at local hi-fi shop that couldn't get it to run when I went to listen.  However, just yesterday they announced they would be adding new "Deezer" premium and it can function as a roon endpoint if I ever get a fully functional Roon server going;

(4) Auralic Aries Mini - the lightning DS appears to be more stable than the node, but it has limited streaming service options (no Deezer premium) and will not work as roon endpoint if its moved to a bedroom in the future; and finally

(3) Sonos connect with SPDIF ipurifier - plus includes WAF level software, and multiple streaming service options.  Concerns include little in the way of upgrade path and lowest sound quality of the lot.

1) Selah Audio Fedele Speakers (Revel in ceiling surrounds) QNAP TS-251 NAS accessed w/ a Ruku Ultra through SPDIF ipurifier into a Marantz SR7008 A/V receiver.

2) Freya + preamp, Hypex NC400 Amp, Zaph L18 Speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo sub-woofer

Bluesound Node 2 and Pro-Ject Expression w/ AT440mlb.

I have a QNAP TS 251 with 2gig memory.  Part of my goal is to eventually end up with a roon server and three endpoints.  To that end, I was thinking of starting with the node 2 which I can eventually shift to an endpoint in the bedroom.  The aries mini's lack of endpoint capability limits its use for ultimately building a system.  

Does the cell phone to chromecast interact well with Tidal or Deezer apps?  And, is it easy for the wife to operate?

1) Selah Audio Fedele Speakers (Revel in ceiling surrounds) QNAP TS-251 NAS accessed w/ a Ruku Ultra through SPDIF ipurifier into a Marantz SR7008 A/V receiver.

2) Freya + preamp, Hypex NC400 Amp, Zaph L18 Speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo sub-woofer

Are you using Roon Rock on the Beelink or staying with Windows 10?  If windows, how hard is it to optimiaze to run roon server?

Are you planning to use one of the Raspberry Pi's as an endpoint?  

The aries web site notes the following:  

"Both ARIES and ARIES LE are sharing exactly same software structure with same DSP engine and Roon Endpoint support. They will have DSD upsampling, room correction functions available coming in the future. The ARIES MINI, due to hardware limitation, will not coming with those audiophile features."

This seems to imply that the mini does not have the endpoint functionality.  Is the mini an endpoint?