IGNORED

Article: McIntosh D1100 Digital Preamplifier DAC Review - Part  Two

I am glad to hear this.  I am really considering one of these as a DAC only and getting rid of one of my Luxman DA06s.  I have to admit the looks of the thing alone are tempting, but to hear it also sounds great is nice too.  I think this and the MP1100 would look nice in my system!

No electron left behind.

17 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Mar-Apr.  What fix?  As far as I know there is no fix for the C47, C52 or C2600 Native DSD popping issue.  From Chris's review it sounds like they implemented some type of fade in and fade out to reduce it with the D1100.

Ah, so your problem isn't with the D1100 being used with your pre-amp...  Hmmm.  Did you see the part in Chris's review where he said every DAC on the planet has that same problem, but different ways of dealing with it?

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to hear this.  I am really considering one of these as a DAC only and getting rid of one of my Luxman DA06s.  I have to admit the looks of the thing alone are tempting, but to hear it also sounds great is nice too.  I think this and the MP1100 would look nice in my system!

I just ordered the recently announced MAC7200 Receiver today with the DA1 DAC module.  It will be interesting to hear the differences between that and the D1100 when, or if, I compare the two at a later date.

No electron left behind.

On 9/7/2017 at 10:53 AM, markwb said:

"Signals up to 24.96 fully unpack from the playback software in your computer, 24/192 would require a hardware change in the DAC to ‘fully’ unpack.  There are not even that many files out there in 24/192 and I guarantee you Tidal is not

streaming 24/192 at all."

At least according to my DAC, the MQA file from Tidal for Hotel California is playing at 192/24.

Now that's interesting.

No electron left behind.

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, JBT said:

I've had mine for 3 weeks and it is amazing.  Stereoplay a German magazine review it last spring and here's what caught my eye!

"At the very latest, the proverbially serious suspicion in the room is that McIntosh might have set the bar higher with this new device than the potential competitors from his own product range might be fond of. For us it is certainly true: this is the best McIntosh we have ever had before our eyes."

"The D1100 is the sound surprise even with "simple" 16-bit / 44-kHz data, which is probably the best news to the newcomer. This is highly recommended as a pure DAC and as a preamplifier simply fantastic."

'

i''m stunned how good simple internet radio sounds playing through Sonos.. It is an amazing DAC.  Hooked up the C1100 it's Mcintosh at its very BEST.!

McIntosh_D1100_stereoplay_2017-05.pdf

Damnit you guys, I am trying to save money... ;)

No electron left behind.

9 hours ago, fand1 said:

Just to follow up from my previous detailed review.

I have recently tried a number of dacs including the PS Audio Direct Stream and the Chord Dave.

Both fantastic by the way. The DAVE is like a microscope to music

But the D1100 has that wonderful mix of extreme detail and lush massive sound stage.

I am using it as a preamp directly  connected into a Mcintosh MC-302.  System synergy?

My only complaint is the pop between some tracks especially when changing bitrate. Does anyone else get that?

Still willing to forgive

Yes, I get that on my MAC7200 with the DA1 DAC module as well.

No electron left behind.

• 1 month later...

I was told when I was buying my MAC7200 that McIntosh has made a real effort to make their new (recently released) equipment perform to a whole new level, by more scrutiny on parts inside, and more listening tests on those parts, and using higher quality parts.  If my MAC7200 is anything to go by, I think they have certainly been successful.  It's been really hard to resist the temptation to take a drive down Lyndale, ( @The Computer Audiophile will know what I am talking about) and order the D1100.

No electron left behind.

• 1 year later...

Roon does correct that flaw, I have Roon set to play a few milliseconds of silence at the beginning to sync the DAC. I have not had the problem once I started doing that. The device still has that flaw, but it can be circumvented. Perhaps I didn't explain that well enough.

The only time I can see it being a problem is on the off chance someone has a playlist of files in different resolutions they want to play gapless. In that case it would in fact be a noticeable problem.

No electron left behind.

20 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

Or cue up multiple albums or different format ro sample rate?

It would depend on how you're playing them, if you're shuffling them then yes, but then you can set some players to play a few milliseconds of silence to sync the DAC. It would be a problem if you wanted the different resolution files to play gapless.

No electron left behind.