IGNORED

How do I access usb HD

I'm new at this and was given a computer to use as a music server. I've got a pretty good handle on most things but I recently was given a usb hard drive loaded with music. When I attached it via usb port my computer doesn't recognize it. I have used usb mouse and wireless adapter with no issues.

Pardon my ignorance but how do I get my computer to recognize this drive so I can load the music onto my internal hard drive?

Thanks Chris

A USB drive should be recognised automatically by the computer.

Can you let us know what computer you are using (Mac or Windows)?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hey there Eloise

My computer was a gift from my bro-in-law, and it was loade with music when I got it. The make is Shuttle xpc and it has a Pentium 4 processor running Windows Vista. If I look in the device manager I can see the drive listed but it has no drive allocation ( F: for example) I don`t know how to assign a drive name to this external hard drive. Am I missing something simple here, I`m not really into computers more into the audio end of things but the server idea really appeals to me.

Thanks

Chris

Hey there Chris

I think you may be on to something there, I tried it on my wifes laptop and it didn't work either. My Bro in law traded this computer for an Apple and he probably downloaded from that . My son has an Apple laptop, is there any way that I can transfer the files from the hd to the Apple and then to my PC?

Thanks Chris

No personal experience of it ... but in another thread silverlight meantions MacDrive

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

as a method for reading Mac disks from Windows.

A search on Google gives various other options for reading a Mac (HPFS) drive on Windows.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.