IGNORED

WAV file tagging and artwork in iTunes (Guide)

silverlight

Having had a few requests from folks on this forum offline for how-to's or suggestions on how to best install/use/work with WAV files in iTunes (Mac), I pulled together a guide to the extent helpful to anyone else. Two important points with this post: (1) recognize this will workflow will come across as somewhere between alien and pure entertainment to those who don't use WAV, and that's cool :), and (2) I normally don't do write up's like this so excuse typo's and please understand providing technical support is difficult time-wise but happy to be helpful. Any brilliant scripts, ideas, other approaches would I'm sure be welcome by the "sub community" who uses WAV files.... which brings me to the last point, which is the point of the post. This is for users (or prospective users) of WAV files who have for whatever reason chosen to use this format, not sure we need another format or codec discussion here (feel free to refer to the other threads addressing that discussion on SQ, etc.).

EDIT: a few minor edits and updates added to the PDF

I'd recommend using dbpoweramp if you're going to rip to WAV. I don't believe EAC writes id3 tags to WAV files, but dbpoweramp does. That way if you ever do go outside of iTunes and switch to another program there's a decent likelihood that it can read the tags in the WAV files.

In terms of other ideas - check out dougscripts.com for things which might potentially help. This script might do the trick:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=tagsmirrorartalbfnom

If you use the ripper to rip to a folder structure that's /artistname/albumname/trackname.wav you can get all the info in a bit more automated fashion. I think to do this you'd need to disable the 'copy tracks to itunes folder' and 'keep itunes folder organized' option before importing.

Track parser would also help if you were sticking even more info in the filename while ripping:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=trackparser

mpdPup maintainer

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm having a little problem, at the point 4.5 of your guide, (page 17 in the pfd), the little notification window ("could not get artwork for some albums") don't show up.... so when I open http://localhost:9999 it load just a blank page.

I checked the terminal window, and I have found that the coverartserver server don't intercept any iTunes request,

Do you have any idea why it behave like this?

Many thanks in advance

Luca

-----------------solved----------------

the coverArtServer README says:

On Mac OS X, duplicate your current location in the Network preferences pane, and call the new one "Cover Art". Select the new location's Ethernet tab. Under Advanced > Proxies, turn on Web Proxy, and set it to "localhost", port "9988". Apply the new settings.

I just had to use the airport tab instead of the ethernet... pretty dumb i know :-|

services registration are the only real hassle. iTunify and coverartserver work every time. I've been using these processes since Geoff turned me onto them back on day 1, and love that I can use wav with good iTunes metadata and album art.

Have been working for me as well. Anyone who's been working with WAV and itunes probably have different workflows (of which this guide was one example). There are a few things I do differently today that are more efficient, I'll take a look at the guide again and see if there are any quick updates and post a new one when I get a chance.

Best,

Geoff

• 2 months later...

I visited the iTunify website and see where it appears to need rewriting to run in OSX 'Snow Leopard'.

So the author has provided a free licence number and has a link for donations.

I was just wondering, does that mean 'ted_b' and 'silverlight' that you are doing your WAV tagging using iTunify in OSX 'Leopard'?

Enjoy the music,

Blu

PS. I'm also a WAV file lover.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this. I just used CoverArt and it works perfectly!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

• 9 months later...

My iTunes library filled with WAV files is huge.

I have been working with iTunify for some years now with a nice workaround for mass tagging WAV files.

I also rip with EAC making WAV files with the following filename format;

12-05-07_ 10.32.36.jpg

Then I add as many tracks/albums I want, to the iTunes library, at once.

These added tracks will not have any tags in iTunes at this moment.

Following I select all added tracks and go to iTunify.

In iTunify I select import from text as following;

12-05-07_ 10.38.35.jpg

Mind you; you need to use the exact same filename format or it won't work!

No need to copy tags per album.

Great workaround to save all your database work and do mass operations which can save you a lot of time.

After editing your tags in iTunes you can also rewrite your filenames the other way around (filename from text) with iTunify.

After this I backup my files so I have saved my precious database work all time.

I also ad ratings in an added field at the end of the filename (mind to use the new filename format with added field).

Good luck,

Roger

PS iTunify still works good for me with the latest OSX.

RAW

forgot to tell this ..

if your database gets corrupted for some reason .. and some reasons are always the case with computers ..

you can always refill a new clean database in a whimp because all tag info is saved in the filenames ..

this makes this workflow just as robust as fileformats with tag-containers (AIFF, FLAC, MP3 ....)

no reactions up till now but for me this robustness is essential

before my MAC iTunes Amarra route I could do all this within Foobar which was great as anybody, who's building up a serious music library through the years, understands ..

All the best,

Roger

RAW