IGNORED

Article: An Even Whiter Shade of Pale

Just wanted to thank you for the excellent article and bringing back some fond memories. This song always does that for me. You may have already read Pete Brown's excellent biography on the Beatles (The Love You Make), wherein he mentions that John had a studio grade turntable installed in his psychedelic Rolls Royce Phantom. They sipped tea laced with LSD and...

“At one point in the party George discovered that Derek (Taylor) and John were curled up in the plush backseat of John’s Rolls, listening to A Whiter Shade of Pale for the hundredth time, and he climbed in with them”

They were all blown away by that song. I was/am too.

Great story, thanks!

I always loved this song, a classic.

This song has something that always made me think of other music but I could never tell which one.  That was until about a week ago, when I read that A Whiter Shade of Pale is an adaptation of JS Bach's Air on a G String.  I then knew that I had just found that other music.

My source: Eric Siblin, author of this book on Bach's cello suites https://www.amazon.ca/Cello-Suites-Casals-Baroque-Masterpiece/dp/0802145248.

I read it on page 252 of the pocket book edition in French, in the chapter on the 5th suite. I have no connection with E Siblin.

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

Boy that song sure tugs at some old memories ...  o.O

I am always amazed at all the associated memories that come along like baggage when these old songs are heard.

It's like the song is just a key to a door unlocking all those experiences that we stored as long forgotten memories.

Thank-you for the story.

Enjoyable, educational & entertaining !

A Chelsea Straw might be a type of 'straw hat' ???

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Oh yeah, that might be it !! :)

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Great article, and one of my favorite songs.

Listening to the audio, this sounds like a stereo version.

I have several very good CD recordings of this song, all in mono.  I just listened to my rip on J River, and compared with the audio in the link from the article.

The audio from the link definitely sounds more like stereo than my CD rip.

Can someone reply with where this version of A Whiter Shade Of Pale may be found? 

ABJ

On 8/26/2017 at 0:48 AM, JoseL said:

It is a straw, rolled-up paper or banknote for...chasing the dragon?

You are close, JoseL. The answer is kind of in the article, but you had to be there to know it. Or had a friend who was there.

How about this: I'll come back in two weeks and tell y'all, giving some people a chance to earn those free drinks.

And something I forget to do: thanks to all of you who've been so supportive and said such nice things about the column. I read them and they mean alot to me, but I always forget to reply.

And one other thing I didn't put in the article: I was freakin' awful that day at the Chelsea Hotel, but I got better and played adequately in my next band, 22 years later. Someone put us on YouTube...

On 8/24/2017 at 4:35 PM, Gilles said:

That was until about a week ago, when I read that A Whiter Shade of Pale is an adaptation of JS Bach's Air on a G String.  I then knew that I had just found that other music.

My source: Eric Siblin, author of this book on Bach's cello suites https://www.amazon.ca/Cello-Suites-Casals-Baroque-Masterpiece/dp/0802145248.

I read it on page 252 of the pocket book edition in French, in the chapter on the 5th suite. I have no connection with E Siblin.

If Siblin actually wrote that, he was wrong. There is no doubt that Matthew Fisher's organ accompaniment owes a lot to the referenced Bach piece, but the song was written and the vocals and piano were recorded by Gary Brooker before Fisher's organ work was added.

Booker's work contains elements reminiscent of Baroque music, but unlike Fisher's organ work there is nothing that can be directly attributable to the Air on a G String.