IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

On 3/24/2018 at 2:03 PM, Krutsch said:

Apologies if I missed something in this thread... but, do Audio Units NOT work in UPnP mode?

Thanks, in advance.

Just asking this, again. I am playing 3.2.7 to a DLNA renderer and using the Sonarworks AU. Realtime audio units and control does not appear during playback and I don't believe I am hearing any difference in sound. Direct connected via USB, everything works as expected.

The A+ website does say AU are compatible with uPnP; just curious if anyone else is seeing the same behavior.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

• 2 weeks later...

For those who cares, A+ 3.2.8 and the Remote plays well with the macos 10.14b1 dev preview and iOS 12 beta.

... i didn't try the direct mode hack, since i don't care for it anymore, its dead :) waiting for the 3.5 version.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

On 6/15/2018 at 1:51 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

... i didn't try the direct mode hack, since i don't care for it anymore, its dead :)

That's interesting.  What changed your mind?

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

33 minutes ago, audiocanyon said:

That's interesting.  What changed your mind?

First reason is that i don't see any difference to my ears and with my DAC if it is on or off.

Second, i'm not sure if that could introduce bugs in A+ that i had, like the stopping at 3 sec at the end happening when you don't want :)

i also stop upsampling, got static tics, loud screee when passing from DSD to PCM songs...pops at the end of .dsf album.

All that is gone now, but don't know if related to direct mode, maybe i'll put it back when 3.5 is out to see... i still have my image of old systems that sometimes i think to go back to 10.11.6 :). Now with Mojave beta2 all still good.

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

13 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

All that is gone now, but don't know if related to direct mode, maybe i'll put it back when 3.5 is out to see... i still have my image of old systems that sometimes i think to go back to 10.11.6 :). Now with Mojave beta2 all still good.

I haven't had any of the problems you've had, but I'm still a few versions back on IOS.  I haven't upgraded for over a year cause I've been too lazy to re-hack to direct mode.  I'm considering upgrading my IOS so I think I'll A/B test with and without direct mode and see if I can still tell a difference.  My ears have made another trip around the sun since my last A/B, so who knows.

Thanks for the info.

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

8 hours ago, audiocanyon said:

I haven't had any of the problems you've had, but I'm still a few versions back on IOS.  I haven't upgraded for over a year cause I've been too lazy to re-hack to direct mode.  I'm considering upgrading my IOS so I think I'll A/B test with and without direct mode and see if I can still tell a difference.  My ears have made another trip around the sun since my last A/B, so who knows.

Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear: there is no hack needed to IOS. IOS would only affect the Audirvana Remote.

If you want to stay with Direct Mode on newer versions, it's the MacOS (or OS X if you're on an older version) you would need to hack.

1 hour ago, bnbayer said:

If you want to stay with Direct Mode on newer versions, it's the MacOS (or OS X if you're on an older version) you would need to hack.

Nice correction, yes I meant I haven't upgraded the MacOS in a while and might depending on my Direct Mode / No Direct Mode comparison with the latest version of A+.  My remote's working fine ?

I was able to do some very critical A/B testing between direct mode with INT1 and non direct mode with standard INT.  Using transducers that sit an inch away from your ear does wonders to reveal the smallest change.

It is just that.... a very small change:  a tiny bit more clarity in the ability to image precisely when direct mode is enabled - maybe a less diffuse and blurred stage with better grip on depth.  Treble seemed just a hair more precise and incisive.  Very hard to pick this out.  I'm talking beyond subtle here with a respectable DAC and chain (Metrum Amethyst).  I'd never say I could pass a blind test here, no way.  The bigger "tell" was the bass.  With direct mode enabled, it seemed to lose a touch of bass heft, but the control was a touch better and it wasn't as rounded or bloated.  This too was a small change, but more noticeable than the treble differences.  To me direct mode sounded like I was a step closer to the actual recording and my bits weren't being messed with by the OS.  Admittedly, that last sentence sounds like expectation bias doing what it does best.

Look guys, this could all be placebo, I'm not saying otherwise, but as long as it's available, I'll spend 30 minutes and err on the side of caution to enable the hack.  It certainly doesn't hurt the sound and "seems" to get you a notch closer.  maybe half a notch?  :)  

I recently listened to my A+ izotope settings on a friend’s system. It sounded awful. Truly terrible. Ear-achingly unlistenable. My old speakers in my setup were so far off the mark that they drew my izotope settings out to left field: high detail, but anemic bass, and decay that was completely off.

This is also the reason, I think, that my system was so sensitive to variations in A+ versions - I was out on the edge of listenability.

Anyway, I’m still experimenting a bit, but I dialed the steepness back from 130 to 110, filter max length way back to 850,000 and pre-ringing up to .55 from .35. Now I’ve got a realistic rhythm section to back up the music.

A+ has always been a little flaky when it comes to adding new albums to the library. Often I have to go to Preferences>Library and click on 'sync' several times before it finally notices new items. Today it's just flat-out refusing. I've restarted A+, clicked on sync 8 times (slow process each time), run Database Optimiser... Finally, I got A+ to recognise the new music by adding those album folders to the library in preferences - even though they are inside the main library folder A+ is supposed to sync.

A+ needs to be less clever, and give us the most basic commands that every Mac program had back in 1984: "OPEN". Never mind the "automatic" folder that doesn't always work. Give the users the option of manual control.

This has been a problem for years, and just it's getting worse.  I just want to listen to my music. 

• 2 weeks later...

Audirvana site offline. "Error establishing a database connection".

A friend bought Audirvana, set his license key and started listening. Today he had to restart the computer and Audirvana asked for his key. He reentered the correct characters and Audirvana refused to start with a license not found error.

Then he called me to solve this problem and we found out that Audirvana web site is offline.

He can't start his A+.

☹️

I just restart mine because i wanted to copy my database for backup, should have wait till tomorrow...

this is also on v3 thread ?

Me too, I downloaded a ROON trial as I have not listened to ROON in awhile.  It is sounding very good with oversampling to DSD.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, EAltino said:

Audirvana site offline. "Error establishing a database connection".

A friend bought Audirvana, set his license key and started listening. Today he had to restart the computer and Audirvana asked for his key. He reentered the correct characters and Audirvana refused to start with a license not found error.

Then he called me to solve this problem and we found out that Audirvana web site is offline.

He can't start his A+.

☹️

Same issue ?

There has been a hardware failure on 2 database servers at OVH, my cloud provider hosting Audirvana.com and its license server.

Unfortunately, it appeared they have put the service on "stand-by" until all the data has been properly re-replicated to ensure there is no data loss.

This should not be long now for having the service back online at 8:17AM CET, the status of ticket was "

Data are now secured but we are having difficulties communicating with the Ceph cluster.
All teams remain actively working on solving this incident as soon as possible.

"

And this stand-by was not a server not responding, that would have been detected by Audirvana Plus as such, and you would have been able to use it during the grace period that is of 60 days.

Unfortunately the server still replies but with an unexpected reply, tricking the license check into an invalid license.

FYI, this affects only the users whose Audirvana Plus has not checked its license in the last 48 hours, as the check is done only once every 48 hours.

And this happens during the night here in France...

So fortunately in the meantime you have found the workaround: disconnect from the Internet when launching Audirvana Plus.

Upon waking up, I've updated the license check program on the app server so that it sends the right "connection failed" error to Audirvana Plus.

So it is the same as if the server was unreachable. And you are now be able to start Audirvana Plus, even without needing to do any workaround, as you are in the 60 days (no connection) grace period.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

You can be sure I'll be looking closely at the post-mortem analysis report from OVH...

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

OVH has now fixed their servers.

In addition to the already activated computers, activating new ones is now working again!

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Last night read of problems running A+ 3.x, so woke up server & listened happily to A+ 2.2.6 (newest A+ to install under OSX 10.8.3). No license problems. Meant to reboot to try A+ 2.6.8 (OSX 10.9.5) but fell asleep. So report on olde version success now.

Sound of music better with 2.2.6/10.8.3 significantly better then 2.6.8/10.9.5 even without DSD upsampling!

Think to wait for Damian to get thru difficult A+ Windows startup issues before asking for fix to install 2.6.8 on old Mountain Lion. Usually impatience not problem for me, but this wait is hard.