IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

On 4/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, Browniesbane said:

I believe you need to install a Dlna program. There a couple in the list of downloads for diet pi. I use gmrender.

I've just got an Allo USBridge.  I'm running gmrenderer on it and A+ sees the Upnp: DietPi as the audio device.  I've got the Allo USBridge connected to my Chord Qutest DAC, but I'm getting no sound.  It all works fine via the Allo using HQplayer to the DAC, but not with A+.  Any suggestions?

GMRender sends sound to default audio interface in Dietpi, so you need to set Soundcard to usb-dac in dietpi

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Last week I updated to latest high sierra update, and after that I did have two A+ database crashes. Not a big problem, but relay gain takes al lot of time, so I do it overnight. Perhaps its a known issue; is there a definitieve cure? 

On 08/04/2018 at 6:58 AM, barrows said:

Thanks Damien, yes, DSD "wide" is probably the way to go, no sample rate change, just re-modulating to 64 bit, and back.  But I am certainly in favor of taking your time on this to get it right.  This is a real advantage for those who use "straight" DSD DACs and do not want the added circuitry of a pre-amp.  

Is this 64 bit re-modulating what HQP does? I don’t enthuse over Roon’s dsd upsampling, eg dsf64 to 256 & prefer leaving it at dsf64.

So, yes, get it done well!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 4/12/2018 at 5:37 AM, jamesg11 said:

Is this 64 bit re-modulating what HQP does?

You could ask Miska. :)

I believe I remember him saying there was no interim conversion to PCM.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

58 minutes ago, Jud said:

You could ask Miska. :)

I believe I remember him saying there was no interim conversion to PCM.

I believe he means that there's no decimation to typical PCM sample rates. The calculations are obviously done using a data type wider than 1 bit.

On 08/04/2018 at 12:31 AM, jimdukey said:

I've always preferred the sound of the Dac at 100% into an Active Preamp.

More substance to the sound.

Exact opposite here, I always prefer using the volume of the DAC that's connected directly to the power amp.
Of course, DAC has to have a decent volume control.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

My Mac D150 Variable Out to MA 6900 is a lighter sound than the Fixed Output.

They list it as a Digital Preamp, but I use it as a DAC.

On my Mytek192/DSD, the Digital Output sounded very Digital, and the Analog Out again didn't have the

the body of the Bypass Mode.

It sounds really good on headphones either with Digital or Analog Volume Control tho.

Maybe it also depends on the quality of the Analog Preamp!

Enjoy A+!

1 hour ago, jimdukey said:

My Mac D150 Variable Out to MA 6900 is a lighter sound than the Fixed Output.

They list it as a Digital Preamp, but I use it as a DAC.

On my Mytek192/DSD, the Digital Output sounded very Digital, and the Analog Out again didn't have the

the body of the Bypass Mode.

It sounds really good on headphones either with Digital or Analog Volume Control tho.

Maybe it also depends on the quality of the Analog Preamp!

Enjoy A+!

"Maybe it also depends on the quality of the Analog Preamp!"
Absolutely.:)

5 hours ago, jimdukey said:

Why only DSD128 on the B+?

It does DSD 256.

Did you try that too?

Believe that w/ Mac and Mytek requiring DoP I'm limited to DSD128.  

I also go direct from Mytek B+ to McCormack DNA-500 with great success.  Only use one source so ditched pre amp years ago.  Mytek's built in attenuator/preamp is very transparent and dynamic.

Tone with Soul

On 4/13/2018 at 10:40 AM, mansr said:

I believe he means that there's no decimation to typical PCM sample rates. The calculations are obviously done using a data type wider than 1 bit.

Right - thank you for the greater precision.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This is awesome.. been a bit slow on upgrading and testing 3.1 streaming features now...but wow...

Cudos to Damien here... just remember this is one guy!

I assume the mac still needs to be kept running as a server to continue streaming....?  right? 

Any chance of integrating Spotify (like you have Tidal) Damien?

Congrats on the upgrade! It's awesome!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

On 14/04/2018 at 12:06 AM, 57gold said:

Believe that w/ Mac and Mytek requiring DoP I'm limited to DSD128.  

I also go direct from Mytek B+ to McCormack DNA-500 with great success.  Only use one source so ditched pre amp years ago.  Mytek's built in attenuator/preamp is very transparent and dynamic.

This is exactly what I've been doing myself, going directly from DAC into my active ATCs.
This always gives the best results IMO, of course, this assumes that the DAC in use has a very good preamp section/volume control.

• 1 month later...

Now that SoX has been out for a while, is there a general consensus of which reproduces music more accurately, SoX or iZotope?  All other music choice, equipment and room acoustics being equal of course.  Just wondering...

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

Great forum, thanks for passing it along buonassi!  Time to start experimenting with SoX.

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

• 2 weeks later...

I run my Mytek and Lampi Direct into my Powered Audio Engine Speakers.

Of course, how else?

But with my Mac 6900 Int Amp, the Mytek sounds better through the Preamp, by far.

Even the Mac D 150 sounds better that way.

I don't like the sound of the built-in Dac Volume Controls, they're not nealy as solid and complete sounding.

Is there anyway to reset the activation for Audirvana? I've had a Mac die on me, and after migrating to a replacement Audirvana won't activate. I can't uninstall it from the old machine because it's dead. I also had Audirvana installed on an old Macbook, but that too is dead and gone, so I can't uninstall from there either.

43 minutes ago, Pineshack said:

Is there anyway to reset the activation for Audirvana? I've had a Mac die on me, and after migrating to a replacement Audirvana won't activate. I can't uninstall it from the old machine because it's dead. I also had Audirvana installed on an old Macbook, but that too is dead and gone, so I can't uninstall from there either.

Send me your order ref, or license key by PM, and I'll reset it for you.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420