IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

23 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

A few weeks about I was playing around with a Pi and an Odroid and I seem to recall I got them to work.  I have a Cubox as well, I'll see if I can recreate what worked.

I had a fair amount of frustration with the CuBox, mostly about the specific OS builds that have to be used for the ARM architecture.  These aren't anything that would bother someone who knows a bit of Linux, but I'm a real amateur and was easily put off.  I have found this mini computer much less frustrating (I am trying to get a particular renderer to work just because I am interested that I haven't been successful with quite yet, but I think this would have the power to run whatever has been suggested to you): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110131

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

36 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Why torture yourself...we have all this sorted out. Just email me and I'll take care of you.

Very much appreciated - thanks, Jesus.  Life is insanely busy at the moment (moving, so besides work and everything going into the new house being built, we’re having to leave our home a couple of times a day for a couple of hours at a time while it’s shown to prospective buyers), but will gratefully and happily send you an email, probably tomorrow.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

36 minutes ago, rickca said:

Jud, what do you want to run on this?  Any reason something like Allo USBridge solution wouldn't fit the bill?

Hi rickca - I’m wanting to run what I believe Jesus is using (he’s done the work of putting it behind an easy user-friendly GUI), upmpdcli.  I’m nearly there (A+ sees the remote renderer and everything looks normal, it’s just that A+ won’t get out of the paused state and start playback), so I’m guessing it won’t be too difficult to figure it out with Jesus’ help.

2 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

“Officially” he has...

This new version has Spotify and Roon options

I wish I had an Odroid I hear from friends that it sounds awesome!

Luckily less than $50 if you want one.

1 hour ago, Da Horsey said:

Here's what I had to do to recover Spotlight and search functions in Mail, Notes, etc.

http://appledigg.com/t/how-to-fix-if-spotlight-not-working-on-el-capitan/561

I had to use the commands in terminal and voila, I recovered the use of Spotlight and related searches.

So I would say based on individual experience, it's best not to check off Spotlight in SysOptimizer using 3.1.2. Merely restarting unchecking and quitting didn't do anything here.

The terminal fix was the answer.

Haven’t had this problem with El Cap.  No idea what the distinguishing feature is between your system and mine.

On 9/13/2017 at 5:54 AM, damien78 said:

Thank you all for your feedbacks.

Just released 3.1.3 with bug fixes especially for the crashes at start that were mainly due to an issue in the MQA devices detection library.

Hi Damien -

Have only noticed this with 3.1.3, not with 3.1.2 -

Playing from a microRendu ( ;) ), when I try to pause, rewind, stop, or shut down A+, it becomes unresponsive and I must force quit.

I can provide logs or parts of logs if desired.

2 hours ago, damien78 said:

Hi Jud,

Yes please for the logs.

Though this seems to be some network issue. How is your microRendu connected to your Mac? wired or wifi (with weak signal?)?

Wifi - signal is very good.

Tried with 44.1 resolution and had no problem; the difficulty was with 192 resolution.  So it is probably just my old 2009 MacBook getting a little tired ( :) ) when upsampling 192 to DSD256.  I can send logs to confirm.

Edit: And that is likely why I only noticed it with 3.1.3 - just by chance I probably didn't use 3.1.2 with 192 resolution files.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rickca said:

Deleted

Heh, didn’t think it would take you long to figure it out. :)

19 hours ago, PGRPGRPG said:

Hi Jude, sorry for perhaps a naive question, but what is the benefit of  upscaling 192 to DSD when your transport is wifi  ? Wifi's limitation, from what I've understood is limited to 16/44 or in very specific case max up to 96/24 . Something specific with microrendu?

Different sorts of WiFi. :)

Ethernet input DACs currently are somewhat limited regarding the file resolutions they can accept, if I remember correctly.  But here we’re talking about something different: WiFi transmission to a receiver that connects to the DAC via USB, so any input resolution your USB DAC will accept is possible.  A good WiFi connection is plenty fast enough for this.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TamTam said:

I have been using Audirvana 3.1 on my Mac Mini for a while. I do not use iTunes integration, and all my AIFF/FLAC files are stored in Synology NAS drive. My Mac is connected to Cambridge CXA80 and my speakers.

I was tempted to get the CXN (Network Player), but it seems to be that A+ Remote will do the job? Please advise if A+ Remote will be connected to my Mac (via Bluetooth?) and I can manage my Music Library (over 1TB) via my iPad?

Furthermore, is there a view option for Artist List (instead of Album List) in Audirvana? This is one feature I missed from iTunes. Thanks!

Yes, A+ Remote works (via Ethernet/wi-fi).

There are view options for both the main application and the remote to list by artist.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Russell_L said:

Help!!!  I just decided to upgrade to 3.1.7 from 2.6.8. Downloaded the trial version as instructed but didn't enter the license key (haven't purchased yet).  Everything was fine (well, almost everything--more about that later) and it sounded great.  I was pleasantly surprised that the new version displayed my music library (I thought I might have to re-sync).  However, I then decided to delete my synced music folders and re-add them, just to do a sort of "fresh" install.  (I periodically did this with version 2, as I sometimes updated the album art and A+ wouldn't pick it up unless I deleted and re-added the music folders.)   However, with 3.1.7, when I re-added my music files, the albums were NOT appearing in the library window one-by-one as expected, despite it seemingly going through the motions (the external HD sounded like it was being read, the progress bar in the upper right moving along).  (I've attached a screen shot--you can see the progress bar is about halfway through, but no albums are shown.)  Quitting and re-opening A+ or restarting my MBP didn''t help.  What's going on? 

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 12.26.50 AM.png

I think it may just be that you need to wait to the end (which may be a while) for everything to appear.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, 6aardvark9 said:

On a separate note, anyone know why DSD512 is greyed out in A+ when "Dave" has the capability to receive?

I don’t think Mac OS is currently capable of it, though I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

As with @jhwalker microRendu works beautifully for me.  No experience of the ultra.

Edit: Upsampling to DSD256 with Mac.

On 11/30/2017 at 6:44 PM, Em2016 said:

Whenever you get a spare moment can you kindly screenshot the 2 or 3 relevant A+ settings pages?

Might help both me and Jim @jamesg11

That won't be for a while, as I'm in the middle of a 2000-mile move.  I hope @jhwalker's screenshots are helpful in the mean time.

53 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

E to W or vice versa? Home moves are usually painful but the prospects are usually exciting!

The former. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 7:40 PM, Em2016 said:

Ya same for me. But I meant to ask, if maybe it allows Damien to do this with the next A+ update?

But I fear it may be completely not relevant at all to Direct Mode.

One can only wish/dream lol

Only Apple can allow Direct Mode to be used again.  Damien had asked A+ users to request Apple to do this.  I don’t know what the user response was, but in any case Apple has not changed its recent OSes to permit the use of Direct Mode again.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:13 AM, Em2016 said:

Hi Gents

Have I got this correct, that the RAM buffering is ALWAYS only done on the Mac and there is NEVER buffering to the UPnP renderer/endpoint's local RAM?

Cheers

As far as I know, correct.  The intent is to make the upsampling asynchronous from sending the upsampled material to the DAC, which can only happen at the upsampling computer. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hajduksaliona said:

Everything worked perfectly up to version 3.1.8. I reset everything and it is still the same, as for SoX, as for Izotope. I noticed that it is somehow connected with Integer. When the Integer is off, 16/44.1 it plays as 24/44.1. When the Integer is on, 16/44.1 plays as 32/44.1. The problem is with 24/... integer on, it won’t play it 32/.... that behavior appears starting from version 3.2.1...it seems that Integer only affects 16/44.1...

I am reasonably sure there is no problem.

What I think is going on (could be wrong and would appreciate correction if so):

32-bit internal math in the DAC is I believe referred to as "32-bit float." This means the DAC is not in integer mode (taking 24-bit input and keeping it that way).  So it seems to me the information you're seeing is just accurately reflecting what is going on in the DAC.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I guess that's one of of the downslides if you use a database-software like A+.

A+ doesn't care where your file sits, it only cares about Metadata in the file. So it´ s not a bug, but a feature.

I have all my Album names ending e.g. in [DSD64] OR [24/192] (if they are not standard redbook).

I use the track rather than album interface, but use album as one of my primary sorting criteria (after Artist) to keep albums separate.

If you do this, the easy way to keep the same album with a different resolution separate is to have resolution as a higher priority sorting criterion than disc#, track#, and track title. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, austinpop said:

As do I. While my library is about 75% classical, my listening is probably closer to 90%.

I started out feeling the way you do about Roon, but once I discovered a couple of tricks to bend it to my will, I have never looked back. Yes, it's not perfect, but it is still light years ahead of metadata driven music servers. And I am someone who obsessively grooms my metadata. Wait, that sounds a bit weird. :D

I have found that I fall into a niche that Roon doesn't quite serve, for two reasons.

- One is that metadata is very easy for me. If I rip, it's usually automagically done for me by XLD, and downloads typically come with metadata adequate for my purposes. Anything missing can be fixed quickly with Yate. I nearly always search by artist name and album title, so my needs aren't great.

- Granted, Roon is light years ahead of any other app I can think of regarding information about music. But what I want in that area is often quirky enough that it's beyond Roon. For example, I wanted a friend to hear and compare Tom Waits' take on "Heigh Ho" with the original version from Snow White, and Roon couldn't fetch the original for us. I also find I already know much of the information I'm interested in that Roon has regarding a piece of music.

All this probably leaves me in a relatively small minority where Roon is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, buonassi said:

Regarding upsampling PCM to DSD using SoX, what effect do the different selections have - A 4th order, B 7th order, etc.  ???

In my limited understanding, a higher order process modulates the signal additional times to decrease quantization (non-linearity) errors.  Do I understand that right?

Also, what are the differences between A,B,C here?  There's no explanation on the A+ site or in the manual.  

Modulation works slightly differently than upsampling, but in general a higher order modulation will produce a signal with lower noise. (A while ago @mansr posted curves showing the noise from the various modulators at the various DSD rates.)

I'm not quite certain of the A, B, and C categories, but have been told B7 and C are identical.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 5:37 AM, jamesg11 said:

Is this 64 bit re-modulating what HQP does?

You could ask Miska. :)

I believe I remember him saying there was no interim conversion to PCM.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:40 AM, mansr said:

I believe he means that there's no decimation to typical PCM sample rates. The calculations are obviously done using a data type wider than 1 bit.

Right - thank you for the greater precision.

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2018 at 3:36 PM, RobertinMn said:

I've never seen software do this and I don't like software that is forever reporting my usage to anyone.

If it is what I am supposing it is from your brief comment, it is sending your license information to a server to check its validity, in order to avoid endemic software cracks. If this isn't what you're describing, let us know.