IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

47 minutes ago, tipunch said:

@damien78

Hello,

In the next version, you could implement the decoding of the HDCD, because only 2 or 3 DAC still offer this function...

And Audirvana would be the ONLY reader to have this function.

What do you think?

List of HDCD-encoded Compact Discs

Best regards

And there are (or were) more than are on this link. I know our pop A&R guys liked it and had a number of releases encoded (EMI Canada & Nettwerk). Here's another incomplete list: http://www.goodwinshighend.com/music/hdcd/hdcd_recordings.htm 

30 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

the remote does not connect or looses connection 9/10 times!!!

The A+ iOS remote? There is something seriously wrong there... I wish the remote were more powerful, but it certainly is reliable. It should always connect, and rarely if ever lose it's connection.

You don't have a second Mac you can try by any chance?

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

INow every title is duplicated, although Audirvana doesn't play them twice. Does Audirvana keep something in a memory so that upon synchronization, the titels are duplicated? I have all audio files on an external disk, so no possible duplcation from files on my MacBook' HDD. Thanks for any input!

Go to A+ Preferences > Library and select the folder/folders A+ is supposed to sync, then click on the minus sign " - " below that window to remove those from A+. (It won't affect the files themselves.) Wait while A+ does its thing, and you should get a completely empty Library window. At this point, I'd quit and restart A+ although it's probably not necessary. Then go back to Preferences>Library, click on the plus sign " + " and re-add your library folder. Go away for awhile and let A+ work. Have lunch. Do something else. (During this process you will often see lots of duplicates, but they should be gone when A+ is finished.)

Hopefully when you come back from your break, your library will be normal again.

11 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

A query - does A+ handle dsf512 files?

First time I tried one & seem to be getting a pcm conversion. Using an iDSD micro black ed. dsf256 is fine.

Hi James, There's a firmware upgrade you need to run for your iDSD micro. I don't remember (or didn't really understand!) the details, but the gist of it is that running DSF512 requires the decoder (or A+ ?) to think it can do PCM768. Once you run the firmware update it will show DSD768, but you have to be careful NOT to let A+  try to use it for PCM. It's only for the quad-DSD... Don't have the link handy, but check the iFi site.

10 hours ago, chris pepin said:

All my albums ( more than 3000 ) are classified by "album artist". In all the upgrade the only possibility is " artist " and it's the mess in my library, so My version is the 2.5.4 because it's the last version to propose this feature. 

Album Artist is still there. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Go to View>Show View Options. Click and hold on the sort field, and a drop-down list of all fields will pop up. Select Album Artist, and your library will be back the way you like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Two annoying library issues. Both have been going on for a while, but I don't remember if it started with 3.1 or an earlier update...

First: A+ seems to not want to recognise new music added to the library. I often have to manually re-sync A+ (Preferences > Library > highlight folder & click Sync) three or four times before it finds the new items. Since each sync takes quite a long time, it's frustrating. Restarting A+ for an auto rescan seems more reliable, but I don't really want to do that - it stops the music!

Second: The 'recently added' playlist, and any other 'new items' playlist I create that include a "Date Added is within xxx" condition have stopped working. Currently it shows that I have added 1163 albums, 15036 tracks within the last two weeks. In fact, this should show zero albums or tracks until this afternoon (and then one album only). I've check some of these items in the Finder, and they show Created and Modified dates of 3+ years ago. (This isn't the whole library, BTW. A+ is selecting certain albums and not others, but they don't meet the search criteria.)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bruce Orr said:

PS. The Queue also has a column for Date Added, allowing for ascending or descending lists

Really? On mine (3.1.4) the play queue is not sortable. You can add the column for Date Added (or anything else) but clicking on it has no effect.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, damien78 said:

A+ Remote 1.7 is in Apple review pipe.

It brings:

• New sort criteria: decreasing Date Added
  • MQA albums and tracks highlight to easily spot them in TIDAL, and in your local Library
  • Select and configure the audio device from A+ Remote settings

Any way to play a group? If I want to play just one symphony, for instance, and not have a dozen other tracks follow the group I select?

3 hours ago, Serpieri said:

Unfortunately, even though it is useful to have the additional options of sorting from within the remote app, it still leaves my Wish List Item for some form of Shuffle by Album unchecked.  Ever hopeful.

+1... again

I'm going to bump my wish list, originally posted on the A+ 2.4 list when iOS remote 1.5 was released (March of 2016):

GROUPS: You can see groups in all the various album views, but what can you actually do with them? As far as I can tell, you can't actually play them. We need the little °°° control thing in the grey 'group' bars, just as they appear for albums and tracks. (I'd like to see groups in list/track view as well… but I almost never use list views when album view is available, so it's not a priority.)

PLAYLISTS: For that matter, what you do with a playlist? OK: I use them as a database tool organising my library, and now that they have album view they're great for that. But what if I just want to play the playlist?

COMPOSER: It's not just another db field! Please, can we have a Composer view like the Artist view. (Get your little stick-figure artist dude to put down his baton, and sit with a pen…) And while we're at it, both Artist and Composer views have same comments as playlist views: great for finding stuff, but I'd like to be able to play them as well. (My whole list of Arnold Bax becomes a cool playlist for an afternoon. Or I could click play in the Bach view, and not come up for air for a month…)

SHUFFLE: For those of us in countries that Qobuz won't provide streaming to… All of my playlists and the Artist views and Composer views would make much better radio if I didn't always hear them in the same order. Every view needs PLAY and SHUFFLE PLAY controls. And the biggie: shuffle must have the option to shuffle by GROUP or by ALBUM. (Don't listen to 'tunes' much… I'd use shuffle, but whole pieces, not random tracks.)

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, fourstrings1891 said:

@damien78

A+ remote forgets the pairing and ask for the pairing code now and then, which is quite annoying. And it constantly loses the connection to A+: "Trying to connect to:..." -> "Select a Mac". Works for some time, then needs to connect again.

I'm never asked to re-pair with a code, but my remote also loses its connection after the play queue finishes, and I have to quit the remote and relaunch to connect. As far as I can tell, it seldom loses the connection while playing, but if I don't pick the next music before the end of queue it's lost. This behaviour started somewhere in version 3, possibly before 3.1. I didn't have the problem with A+ version 2.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Dandaman said:

Try "01", "02", "03"...  "09", "10", "11" and so on.

That would probably work, but really, should that be necessary? Lots of computer programs can figure this out without people needing workarounds that might involve changing metadata on thousands of files. iTunes is ugly, and the sound not in this league... but it has been able to sort correctly since day one - even when the numbers and text are in the same field (i.e., title field: Symphony 1 then Symphony 2, not Symphony 10).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mbain said:

Any other suggestions anyone?  Getting very trusted and annoyed having to wait 10 min + for Audirvana to see the Ultrarendu

I don't have an ultraR, but when I first got the microRendu and A+ 3.1 I had a similar issue once or twice. I had to go to the Sonore controls (10.0.1.13 in your browser) then AudioApp Switcher and make sure it's [still] set to MPD/DLNA Active.

Whatever had caused the Mac not to see the mRendu had also switched the mRendu App Switcher to the wrong place... Once I had convinced it that I really wanted these settings, it's never reset since.

NOTE: I never turn my mRendu off (and it powers the DAC, so it doesn't go off either).

3 hours ago, Hoshi said:

When I go to the Sonicorbiter site, my Rendu shows up so I know it’s connected.  My issue is the device does not show up in the Audirvana Preference under “Preferred Audio Device”.  In order words, Audirvana does not recognize the Rendu.  I looked into the MIDI setting in my Mac Mini and it does not show up there either. 

Does SonicOrbiter show MPD/DLNA as the active mode?

2 hours ago, Hoshi said:

Sorry bnbayer but can you be a bit more specific as to where I can check this to report back.  I'm assuming it's somewhere in my Network Settings on my Mac.

Try this topic: 

Basically, in your computer browser go to 10.0.1.13 and click on Apps at the top of the page. The first app should be Audio App Switcher. Click on that and choose MPD/DLNA, and make sure it says Active. If it does, A+ 3.1 or better should be able to see UPnP: rendu-xxxx in Audio System preferences.

Also shuffle by group, please. (NOT shuffling within groups... a group would be treated as if it were a single track. If it's randomly chosen to play, the entire group would play in order. Tracks which are part of a group would never be played separately.) For classical listeners, shuffle by track is useless, as you get only a part of single piece of music.

1 hour ago, steveoat said:

Agree -- this is the only do to do shuffle for classical music.  Musichi does this.

And so does the dreaded iTunes... it's ugly, and doesn't sound great, and won't play as many file types - but it's easier to find and select the music you want, or surprise you with a shuffle selection like a really great radio station.

47 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

by ugly, I guess you mean compared to Roon(?)

as for SQ, what did you compare it with and how did you assess the differences in SQ?

Ugly as in unattractive to look at, all on its own.

This is an A+ site... so SQ compared to A+, and I use the system for music, so my ears for assessment.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, audiocanyon said:

I haven't had any of the problems you've had, but I'm still a few versions back on IOS.  I haven't upgraded for over a year cause I've been too lazy to re-hack to direct mode.  I'm considering upgrading my IOS so I think I'll A/B test with and without direct mode and see if I can still tell a difference.  My ears have made another trip around the sun since my last A/B, so who knows.

Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear: there is no hack needed to IOS. IOS would only affect the Audirvana Remote.

If you want to stay with Direct Mode on newer versions, it's the MacOS (or OS X if you're on an older version) you would need to hack.

A+ has always been a little flaky when it comes to adding new albums to the library. Often I have to go to Preferences>Library and click on 'sync' several times before it finally notices new items. Today it's just flat-out refusing. I've restarted A+, clicked on sync 8 times (slow process each time), run Database Optimiser... Finally, I got A+ to recognise the new music by adding those album folders to the library in preferences - even though they are inside the main library folder A+ is supposed to sync.

A+ needs to be less clever, and give us the most basic commands that every Mac program had back in 1984: "OPEN". Never mind the "automatic" folder that doesn't always work. Give the users the option of manual control.

This has been a problem for years, and just it's getting worse.  I just want to listen to my music. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, elcorso said:

There are many users who want to have the latest version (not me).

In any case you always have the option of not checking for upgrades.

And talking about paranoiacs?

Roch

This issue is NOT about checking for upgrades. It's about checking your license.