IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Thnx guys for all the inputs! Really appreciate it!

Question is if the NUC USB will be about the same as my Elac Discovery DS-S101G with optical SPDIF output.

From an electrical engineering perspective I would like to know why a digital signal is dependend on cable, galvanic isolation, SNR etc. as long as the digital data is not corrupted. I wonder if most of this stuff are just good marketing guys trying to sell that stuff?

Before I spend 700$ on a USB cable I buy a quality streamer (like Nucleus?) And go optical and be done with it. I thought with the NUC I could built a system that won't kill my wallet.😒

Hi 

the chance of some having an elac-nuc-kii combo to advise you might be a tough call!

with respect to cables- your ears and a good return policy would be the recommended route

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

9 minutes ago, 6o4o said:

I wonder if most of this stuff are just good marketing guys trying to sell that stuff?

Grimm mu-1,Taiko, Pink Faun all very serious about audio. They don't build a streamer if a simple nuc performs the same. It's about timing, noise and not about data lost. I had an owner of a Kii system at my house and he was totally blown away by the difference. He played with a bluesound but it was gone the next day. He bought an auralic streamer.

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

It also goes into digital audio; the weakest link determines the sound. If I replace the Lush usb for a standard usb cable, the magic is gone.

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

Not sure of the protocol and how it is done inside Kii, but I would stream such a protocol independent from the clock of the DAC/Kii into a buffer. The DAC/DSP takes the data and samples at it's own accurate clock.

In this case it would no matter if the USB clock is off by a lot as long as it keeps the buffer full. Also digital should make no difference on noise.

But maybe I am missing something?

If we talk about analog output then yeah, that is a total different story. But this I want to avoid. I want to keepp digital.

32 minutes ago, 6o4o said:

Interesting! I really wonder the electrical physics behind this.😏

The comment that the weakest link determines the sound is exactly right - it is why we use the chain analogy; for an actual metal chain if almost all the links can handle 100 tonnes of forces, but a single one of the 100 links can only take 10 tonnes, then the chain is crippled, and can never do better than 10 tonnes in pulling on something ... most people in audio never really understand this, they keep adding adding links that can handle 500 tonnes, say, everywhere except where the weak one is; and despair when the SQ never reaches a standard that they hope for ...

USB is a poor mechanism for transferring digital audio data - not because the digital data is ever compromised, but because the structure of that link is highly prone to allowing electrical noise to transfer to the critical analogue areas of the chain; once that happens, the SQ is compromised. The enormous variety of "fixit" add-ons for the USB link is a giveaway that it is intrinsically a link of "10 tonnes" capacity - you therefore do what you have to do to try and strengthen it.

Electrical noise, from various sources, is the big killer of subjective SQ in digital audio - it was so the day the first CD player was released, and is still a major, major problem. There are no mysteries here ... merely a lack of interest by the industry in getting on top of it. No-one wants to measure what's going on; and hand-waving is used to push the whole thing further under the carpet, ;).

Just found this interesting measurement on USB cables on good and bad DAC:

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/do-usb-audio-cables-make-a-difference.1887/

I could install the NUC in very short distance of the Kii Control, so a very short cable would be possible. And yes, the longer a cable the more noise and low frequency noiseit can pick up, that is an EMC rule.

But he was testing an DAC that I would expect to be sensitive to noise. I still am searching for such a measurement with a pure digital input.

Maybe at the end I get a streamer like the Nucleus, very short stnadart USB cable and be done with it. :)

11 hours ago, simonp said:

I have discussed this with Bruno, he estimates that with a nuc or standard source you get 90% out of the Kii. I think that percentage is lower. I've used several sources here and they all sound different. I'm using an OpticalRendu now.

But then the question is this due to USB implementation vs optical, or some other aspect of the source? For instance are there USB sources that equal what you get with the optical?

I don't know how Bruno or anyone else arrives at a 90% percentage, but that seems VERY low. 

If I reduce the fidelity of my system by 10%, it should sound awful, not just a little worse. When I used the NUC instead of a high end streamer, I didn't hear that kind of difference. 

I think 98 or 99% is a more realistic way to put it.

And I think some people won't hear any difference. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Rubysea said:

Last week was Kii Audio's Open House Week in their new facilities in Germany.
You could go there and visit the production location and meet the whole team. Also Bruno was there and you could talk to him.
You could get a guided tour and of course could also listen to the Kii + BXT in their new listening room.
What I found interesting is that at the end of each Kii Speaker assembly the speaker get's measured on a measuring stand by 2 microphones with a sweep (all takes around 40 sec.) and then gets a correction file for the DSP that sets every (driver) setting according to a narrow specification bandwidth (+/- 0.5 db). So basically every speaker is/sounds the same.
That stand is in the middle of one of the production halls and is run by a software/script that Bruno has specifically written to complete the task even within a "noisy" environment, so that there is no need for an expensive anechoic chamber to measure the speaker.
The speaker is put on a stand, then gets lifted up to the level of the second microphone, and measuring can begin. All is done from the desktop workplace you can see on the left within the picture.

Kii Speaker Measuring Stand.jpg

Cool. Still haven't heard the BXT. Am afraid I will want it once I've heard it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My trip to Munich HIgh End Show and to Kii open house got cancelled.  Glad you made it and thanks for the report.  Yes, when I added the BXT to my Three it did everything better - dynamics, lower distortion/better resolution, bass response went deeper and clearer.  Did not know there was musical detail in the lower bass.

Hope to make the trip next year.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

Well after 2 years and time spent waiting for a 2nd hand pair of BXT modules to come up locally I have finally bit the bullet.

I cant' bring myself to spend $25000 (Australian) on the new BXT module, so I have gone the poor mans route at a 5th of the price.

JL Audio D110 x 2

Minidsp SHD Studio (Dirac Live 3.0)

Minidsp 2x4 HD

Lindy SPDIF Digital / Toslink Audio Converter  (Studio only has Coaxial out and 2x4HD only has Toslink in)

The Studio and HD also give me the necessary 100ms delay I require for the Exact Latency with the Kii3's

Crossover will be at 50hz where the D110's will take over.    The Studio, 2x4HD and Convertor have arrived.   D110's in a few weeks. 

It could all be a pipe dream but by all accounts friends with Kii3's who have gone along a similar path i.e. adding a sub or 2 with the Kii3's, have been very, very happy with the result.

We will see in due course.

Regards Cazzesman  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 5:13 PM, Kelly said:

Finally got a chance to hear the bxts. I helped someone setup a new set that replaced an ancient (and well loved) Vandersteen/ARC system.  It was in a very large room with main listening positions being about 16 feet from the plane of the speakers. Their power is no joke. They can absolutely blow your head off. They are dangerously easy to get to crazy loud volumes and sound completely clean. We experimented with various room positions and tone eq and found that we preferred the tone roll-off prescribed by mitchco (-4db at 2500hz.) The speakers ended up about 6 inches from the back wall due to practical room considerations. Boundary adjustments were a snap.

In addition to the lowest bass improvement, improvements in the mid and upper bass is significant. There is a bit more flesh on the bones, things marginally just a bit fuller sounding, especially at higher spl. The audiophile cliche “Flight of the Cosmic Hippo” is well served by the bxt. The tone and texture of Victor Wooten’s bass is more convincing than even the best headphone systems I have heard. Bass drums sound just a little more real and hit you harder than the Kii Three alone.

I would say that some claims of the BXT sounding like a completely different speaker system from the Three are a bit overblown. Coming back to my system, I have a small-ish room and have very rarely encountered the bass limiter, and that was basically when I was intentionally pushing the system looking for it. I don’t feel the need to add the BXTs for more than double the money. I really don’t even feel the need to add subs. The improvement is real, but the Three performs well enough for my use that the deminishing returns returns curve would be difficult to rationalize. For someone that has a huge room or needs high SPL, it is perfect (if costly.)

• 4 weeks later...

Kii Tea. 

PXL_20220919_173502288.thumb.jpg.668dc7dec0cf20f90e667d6f4f3cc24d.jpg

Yes, I'm practicing my dad jokes. 

And the not so good looking covers attached with Tack It were installed after my youngest daughter tried feeding the mid range a plastic pony. Thankfully the speaker wasn't hungry and rejected her kind offer and escaped unharmed. I, on the other hand, watching the feeding frenzy, had a mild heart attack. 

Kii Three/BXT with Control 

Tannoy Precision 8 iDP/TS112 iDP

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyone, 

I have been using my Kii Three for 2 years and I would now like to add a subwoofer to them.

2 questions:

1- how is the optimal way to connect a sub to the Kii Three?

2- I am just *thinking* at this point about adding a KEF KC62 (Frequency Response (-3dB) 11Hz). Would this work?

If you have good alternatives in a similar price range I would be happy to know (budget 1-2K) :) 

Thank you!

On 10/10/2022 at 7:50 AM, pam1975 said:

hey everyone, 

I have been using my Kii Three for 2 years and I would now like to add a subwoofer to them.

2 questions:

1- how is the optimal way to connect a sub to the Kii Three?

2- I am just *thinking* at this point about adding a KEF KC62 (Frequency Response (-3dB) 11Hz). Would this work?

If you have good alternatives in a similar price range I would be happy to know (budget 1-2K) :) 

Thank you!

Look at Cazzesman comments in this thread just above.  He seems to have done it successfully.

Hey Kii Three fans,

I am looking to implement the Kii system into a multichannel set up.  So far I have two Kii Three/BXT and another pair of Kii Three's so a total of four.  Moving towards a stereo / Home Cinema set up with surround.  Maybe one more Kii Three for the center with Kii Three/BXT for left and right all behind an acoustically transparent drop down screen.  The other pair of Three's for the rear surround.

Thinking about using an AV processor with analogs out to Kii analog XLR inputs.  Will still use my streamer with Kii control for stereo mode and raise the screen.  Set up two profiles in the Kii control - one for stereo and the other for cinema.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, fpalm69 said:

Any comments would be appreciated.

I've gotta be honest -Kii Three's in surround positions will be a complete waste.

If I were you, I'd sell everything except the main Three/BXT pair, and use those funds combined with your existing budget to buy a good quality neutral surround speaker (JBL 708P etc), and use all the left over cash on a top quality processor like a Trinnov Altitude 16 which will replace your streaming box also if you are a Roon user, and give you a digital output into your Three's along with SOA room correction.