IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

5 minutes ago, Rubysea said:

yes. they are apparently working on these new support pages with changing/updated content. So I assume they are in their final stages and maybe in a few days (before Christmas?) the support section is up and running with everyone being able to DL the lates FW.

Thanks.  Will try and remain patient.... 

2 hours ago, atletico said:

I downloaded the V1.09 Kii updater on my MacBook pro. It says it connected to both speakers with usb but it crashes at once I push "update" button in the KII Updater application. Can't do any upgrade.. 

@atletico, on wich FW version currently is your Kii Control? I did a few updates recently on a Mac and all went fine (maybe I was already at a (much?) higher version). What happens if you press the other button "send system report to Kii Audio"?

4 minutes ago, Rubysea said:

@atletico, on wich FW version currently is your Kii Control? I did a few updates recently on a Mac and all went fine (maybe I was already at a (much?) higher version). What happens if you press the other button "send system report to Kii Audio"?

My Kii Control has version 0.3.

Havn't tried the "send system report". My MacBook have the OS Mojave 10.14.6. I have also tried my Windows 10 pc and it also will not start the update after the Kii application recognise the two speakers. 

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

On 12/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, Rubysea said:

[snip] The FW also updates the DSP and Kii-Control (where on the Apple remote you now can also switch between presets instead of only sources previously 🙂)

BR Rubysea

How do you change presets with the remote? I can't figure it out. 

Regarding the new filters, next thing would hopefully be a computer interface to alter the different filters. Seems a bit fiddly to do it on the Control. 

Kii Three/BXT with Control 

Tannoy Precision 8 iDP/TS112 iDP

@ragwoIn KC: Main Menu > Setup Menu > IR Remote Settings > Channel Buttons: Preset

That should do it.

Regarding filters: I doubt that there will be an interface for the near future. And yes, it is a bit fiddly AND you should note down or take pictures of your filter settings bec. they might get lost after another FW update. But they had also stated that on the support pages (which are currently offline again)

20 minutes ago, Rubysea said:

Currently FW updates seem to be possible again (for how long?)

Also again a newer version of the Update tool is available (v.1.1.0) and @atletico, it might fix your update problem? Probably worth trying again...

Just got an email from Tom at Kii saying that new version of Updater is now available, so maybe this is the production release?

4 hours ago, Rubysea said:

Currently FW updates seem to be possible again (for how long?)

Also again a newer version of the Update tool is available (v.1.1.0) and @atletico, it might fix your update problem? Probably worth trying again...

This new version of the Update tool really did the trick .:) The Kii Control and my 3 year old Kii Three's now have the latest software and sound better than ever and also some dB louder on my Kii Control ref. volum levels in my living room..:)

This was however the first pair Kii Three speakers to arrive in Norway late 2016, serial no. 0416 and 0417 ( now says "0" in Kii Control )

DSCF0309.jpeg

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

17 minutes ago, Blade1001 said:

So I'm assuming with all this, there is no way to update the Kii's without the Control in place?

I can't understand why they would make them this way when the Control isn't bundled with the speakers.

I’d contact Tom at Kii and ask. Must be some way to do this without the KC, given that the latter was released sometime after the speakers were. 

regarding Kii update without KC: I doubt that this is possible without having direct access to the Kiis (either via Dealer or sending them in). You somehow need to get physical access to the RJ45 jack (on the Master Kii) to update settings for DSP/PIC which also get updated. Via KC this is "easy", the very old way via direct remote session from Kii (Tom) and now with the available tool. "Temporary" access to a KC (via your dealer) would also do the trick.

Does anyone havae info on what the updates do? Especially the updates to the speakers themselves. DSP changed, DAC altered, etc. It would be nice to have a general idea. Wish Kii would post some very basic info.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Updating my 3 year old Kii Threes and the Kii Contol with the latest sowftware also did something to the performance.

The overall soundstage has been "tightened up" a bit, resulting in even better/faster dynamics and better separation of the instruments and voices in the mix.

I had a really good time playing some of my favorite music tracks both from vinyl and the Aries G2  yesterday evening. My turntable have never sounded better! This was an unexpected Christmas gift from Kii Audio :)

Head-fi:

I sent them a mail last week regarding a preset issue I have (v.0.2). Support said they would officially release the software update and update tool between X-mas and New Year. They probably uploaded a beta version to the website and took it down again. Software update includes Bluetooth activation. 

I’m anxious to hear what sound improvements the upgrade will bring.