IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Unplugging the Control used to help but not anymore. There is no pattern, sometimes it works normally and sometimes not. So I am fad a bit. Anyhow I am thinking to "upgrade" the digital part. I have tried Melco and it sounded really good. Batter than Mac with Roon player or Amarra for example. So just wondering is it possible to get that level of SQ with Roon Rock!

13 hours ago, Gastronaut said:

HI,

Maybe I miss it, but does anyone use Roon Rock with the Kiis's? On Intel Nuc or any other hardware. I have a good old MacBookPro, but to often my Mac just cannot see the Kii's!? Then I have to disconnect USB, ethernet,..., and that usually works.

Looking to purchase Melco, but currently away from my budget. Even thinking to install Rock on my Mac for testing!

Thanks

Having trouble editing my previous post, I'll add some more info here. I use ROCK on an Intel NUC8i5, and have used both a Squeezebox Touch, Chromecast Audio, Bluesound 2 and 2i, laptop and a MicroRendu as endpoint to the Control. All of the endpoints I've tried sounds excellent on the Kii Threes, but I prefer the MicroRendu for its size and USB output. 

Kii Three/BXT with Control 

Tannoy Precision 8 iDP/TS112 iDP

1 hour ago, Gastronaut said:

Unplugging the Control used to help but not anymore. There is no pattern, sometimes it works normally and sometimes not. So I am fad a bit.

Which firmware is the Control on? You could check with Kii customer service if there's a fix.

Kii Three/BXT with Control 

Tannoy Precision 8 iDP/TS112 iDP

3 hours ago, Gastronaut said:

Unplugging the Control used to help but not anymore. There is no pattern, sometimes it works normally and sometimes not. So I am fad a bit. Anyhow I am thinking to "upgrade" the digital part. I have tried Melco and it sounded really good. Batter than Mac with Roon player or Amarra for example. So just wondering is it possible to get that level of SQ with Roon Rock!

The Mac USB implementation has long been known as having issues and I have had similar lapses of USB connectivity when I put the Mac into sleep mode. Recently with Mojave I’ve experienced no difficulties though, although I usually do not sleep the computer now.

1 hour ago, Rubysea said:

Hello community!

@Cazzesman : "A simple way" to better and cheper adapt the Kiis to your room is using the Kiis themselves 🙂 With the current firmware (v1.0.7) you have control over a lot of recently introduced new filters (w. 1.0.5): Low Pass, High Pass, Low Shelf, High Shelf, Notch, Parametric EQ with a constant Q, Parametric EQ with a proportional Q in the range of +3db to -24db (and that per channel/ Kii Master - Kii Slave)

I've tried that myself and with a UMIK1 + the Kii Control directly linked into REW I have done a lot of measurements and immediate corrections and thus could completely tame a terrible room mode around 40Hz.

I guess you should get in contact with Kii (Tom Jansen) to get access to the updated FW (and change log). An Update-tool is available for Win and Mac in case you don't alreadyhave access to it. The FW also updates the DSP and Kii-Control (where on the Apple remote you now can also switch between presets instead of only sources previously 🙂)

BR Rubysea

Wait! What? When did this happen? That's a major improvement of the interface if they've added per channel PEQ functionality? How many filters can be added per channel? I'm amazed they've not made a bigger song and dance about that, as it was the one thing the 8c's had that the Kii Three's didn't!

Hi Stephan,

no, it is not available on their homepage. As mentioned before: try to contact Tom from Kii. From him I got a link to the software/ firmware. I think they are planning on having it available enventually on their HP, but I don't know when that will be. I've done several update(s) using the MAC version and that works just fine. You install the SW-Tool, connect your Kii-Control to the laptop/computer and then you go. You'll find a confirmation screen at the end of the update.

Rubysea

PastedGraphic-1.png

Quote from one of the recent change logs:

You can set up to 8 individual 2nd order filters per speaker in range of (Freq 20hz - 20kHz, Q 0.125 - 31.3, Gain +/- 6dB) to one of the following types:
Low Pass
High Pass
Low Shelf
High Shelf 
Notch
Parametric EQ with a constant Q
Parametric EQ with a proportional Q

R.

OK folks,

I, ve contacted Tom just a few minutes ago. Here is the information I´ve got.

Please be patient. The firmwareupdate will be available soon on the Kii Homepage. Actually it is still beta. They are working hard on it and will inform the customers via newsletter.

So I suggest we let them work. The sooner it should be available 🙂

BR STephan

14 minutes ago, Rubysea said:

Can't be too long then...

Famous last words....I wonder if this update finally activates the bluetooth.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

19 minutes ago, Yellowspider said:

Bluetooth works already in the actual firmware with Kii Control.

Not in my firmware it doesn't. Maybe you have a newer version than I do. That's why we need some way of updating the Kii Control firmware. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

10 hours ago, Ken Moran said:

My Kii Control firmware is v0.3, and in the 2 years I’ve had my Kiis, I’ve never had any communication from them as to available upgrades.   Weird.  

When  I had an issue about a year ago I got updated by them to 0.4. That was using Team software and coordinating with them when to log onto my server. Until the software allowing us to initiate an update is released by them, I don't think there is a way a user can update on his own.