IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

1 hour ago, baconbrain said:

My Kii Control is powered down and both speakers are in standby mode and then a message appears on the display of the control saying "Waiting for Speaker".

Any ideas what that means?

please disconnect everything (all cables!). Wait a minute. Reconnect only the Ethernetcable from KC to KII and between KII. Source should be silent. Wait a couple of seconds. Push the reset button on both KII (backside) a couple of seconds. Start the KII again. I would suggest: stuck in the SW. Which version do you have?

Just now, Bernstein said:

please disconnect everything (all cables!). Wait a minute. Reconnect only the Ethernetcable from KC to KII and between KII. Source should be silent. Wait a couple of seconds. Push the reset button on both KII (backside) a couple of seconds. Start the KII again. I would suggest: stuck in the SW. Which version do you have?

IMPORTANT!!!

After reset on the backside the KII go to 100% volume!!! Please adjust it before you start anything. 100 Volume is not harmful due to the Limiter, but your ears...

43 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

IMPORTANT!!!

After reset on the backside the KII go to 100% volume!!! Please adjust it before you start anything. 100 Volume is not harmful due to the Limiter, but your ears...

Thanks for the info but after starting the Control the message luckily went away. Will refer back to your advice if it happens again. 

Maybe it has something to do with Halloween ... 👻

7 hours ago, baconbrain said:

My Kii Control is powered down and both speakers are in standby mode and then a message appears on the display of the control saying "Waiting for Speaker".

Any ideas what that means?

I get the same message when the ethernet cable between the master speaker and the Control is disconnected and the USB input is connected to a source. The Control is powered by the USB input when not connected to the master speaker. My master speaker is powering the Control when in standby. Has this problem just occurred? Have you tried turning off the master speaker for a while? Does the problem still persist? Are you able to get the speakers out of standby when the message shows? 

Edit:

I'm way too slow responding. Glad the problem is solved. Note to self: Update browser regularly 

Kii Three/BXT with Control 

Tannoy Precision 8 iDP/TS112 iDP

5 hours ago, ragwo said:

I get the same message when the ethernet cable between the master speaker and the Control is disconnected and the USB input is connected to a source. The Control is powered by the USB input when not connected to the master speaker. My master speaker is powering the Control when in standby. Has this problem just occurred? Have you tried turning off the master speaker for a while? Does the problem still persist? Are you able to get the speakers out of standby when the message shows? 

Edit:

I'm way too slow responding. Glad the problem is solved. Note to self: Update browser regularly 

Even if somewhat delayed (also have the browser refresh challenge... ), I still appreciate the response. My master is also powering the control and am hoping that it was possibly due to the ethernet cable not being completely seated. Time will tell.

Did you make any progress with your DIY project?

48 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Even if somewhat delayed (also have the browser refresh challenge... ), I still appreciate the response. My master is also powering the control and am hoping that it was possibly due to the ethernet cable not being completely seated. Time will tell.

Did you make any progress with your DIY project?

No progress yet I'm afraid. It's been all work and no fun for the last weeks. The plans are all inside my head, I just need to get them out IRL, not just being my imagination. It involves a 5.0 setup with Devialet Gold/Silver and a complete rearrangement of my stereos. An approval from my wife is also needed. In other words, a lot of hurdles. 

@ragwo has been too busy trying to get DOS2 working on his Dev phantoms! 😩 Trade them on another paid of kii threes, mate.

Kii Three, Kii Stands, Kii Control. Aurender N100, 1TB SSD. Rega Planer 10 with Alpheta 3 MC cart, RCM Sensor 2 Phono Stage. PS Audio AC5 Power Regenerator. Audioquest Cat5 Ethernet, Diamond USB & Yukon XLR.

Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia.

32 minutes ago, Craig1512 said:

@ragwo has been too busy trying to get DOS2 working on his Dev phantoms! 😩 Trade them on another paid of kii threes, mate.

I've tried, but my wife stated that another pair of Kii Three is above the top of the Maslow pyramid, and therefore not needed. Can't really argue with that. 

Fortunately I've been holding off the DOS2 update. I need the low latency mode for surround setup and I'm gaining nothing by updating at the moment. My Phantom/Dialog setup is rock solid, or rockish solid or almost solid or a bit flaky depending on what you are focusing on. But hey, everything is better than speakers out of sync/disappearing from setup with DOS2.

Been enjoying reading your posts and HT setup journey over on Devialetchat @ragwo I came from a dev 440Pro and B&W 802 D2 to Kii three and never going back. The dev phantoms are an amazing active speaker for the money and I encourage anyone interested in active speaker technology to check out the Devialetchat forum. Again, @ragwo HT set up journey is an interesting one to read for anyone thinking going active HT.

Kii Three, Kii Stands, Kii Control. Aurender N100, 1TB SSD. Rega Planer 10 with Alpheta 3 MC cart, RCM Sensor 2 Phono Stage. PS Audio AC5 Power Regenerator. Audioquest Cat5 Ethernet, Diamond USB & Yukon XLR.

29 minutes ago, Craig1512 said:

Been enjoying reading your posts and HT setup journey over on Devialetchat @ragwo I came from a dev 440Pro and B&W 802 D2 to Kii three and never going back. The dev phantoms are an amazing active speaker for the money and I encourage anyone interested in active speaker technology to check out the Devialetchat forum. Again, @ragwo HT set up journey is an interesting one to read for anyone thinking going active HT.

I have not been keeping up with Phantom HT topic lately but it‘s a bit of a shame that Devialet doesn‘t get serious about it. There is so much potential ...

And I raise it here, because there is so much potential for kii three HT set as well. Has anyone here tried setting up a 5 channel (LCR LRS and RRS) or more HT using Kii three. 

6 hours ago, Craig1512 said:

And I raise it here, because there is so much potential for kii three HT set as well. Has anyone here tried setting up a 5 channel (LCR LRS and RRS) or more HT using Kii three. 

Lot of potential but quite costly. Unfortunately I can't afford it in a foreseeable future. Maybe it'll change if the lottery ticket turns out to be a good investment. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath. 

On 10/31/2019 at 4:17 PM, baconbrain said:

Thanks for the info but after starting the Control the message luckily went away. Will refer back to your advice if it happens again. 

Maybe it has something to do with Halloween ... 👻

I don’t think there is any cause for concern here. The principal power source for the control is the speaker,   but when the speakers are disconnected or power removed, the usb connection provides some power. Your usb probe will verify this. The control is alerting you that the speakers are powered down/not connected.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering because someone offered me a very good deal on a JL Fathom F113: How could you integrate a powered sub with the Kii Threes? Without buying something like a Trinnov or a Lyngdorf?  

Would you have to run the The Threes to an analog preamp and then connect the sub to the same pre?   I assume software could be used for time alignment of the pair of Kiis and the sub....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

15 minutes ago, firedog said:

Just wondering because someone offered me a very good deal on a JL Fathom F113: How could you integrate a powered sub with the Kii Threes? Without buying something like a Trinnov or a Lyngdorf?  

Would you have to run the The Threes to an analog preamp and then connect the sub to the same pre?   I assume software could be used for time alignment of the pair of Kiis and the sub....

Something like one of the MiniDSP units can be used as a cross over to allow you to integrate a sub (or subs) if you're on a budget. They're very flexible devices and will allow you to time align the speakers to the sub (or subs) using delay settings, and also apply some basic level adjustment and PEQ's.

Alternatively I frequently see Trinnov ST2's come up on Hifi Shark for less than a couple of grand, if you're feeling a bit more spendy and want SOTA room correction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Firedog and anyone else,

I have Kii 3's running from CAPS Lagoon into mutec usb into Kii 3 via AES.   I'm thinking about putting a Minidsp DDRC-22D into the chain.     As the 22D doesn't have USB in, I would have to run the following.........

Caps - via usb cable into Mutec - via AES into 22D - via AES into the Kii 3's.    I have a UMIK already.  

Perhaps it is my 60 yr old ears but I was listening the other day and my wife commented that she thought it was abit harsh.     I thought it was okay.

I have set some adjustments on the Kii's top end and mid bass.    I was thinking the 22D was a simple way test the room and set up some curves.   I have a fair amount of room treatment at 1st reflections and rear corners.   I left the treatment in when I got the Kii's because I think it actually helped in the room.

Any thoughts anyone on the 22D in the Chain.

Regards Cazzesman 

1 hour ago, Cazzesman said:

Hi Firedog and anyone else,

I have Kii 3's running from CAPS Lagoon into mutec usb into Kii 3 via AES.   I'm thinking about putting a Minidsp DDRC-22D into the chain.     As the 22D doesn't have USB in, I would have to run the following.........

Caps - via usb cable into Mutec - via AES into 22D - via AES into the Kii 3's.    I have a UMIK already.  

Perhaps it is my 60 yr old ears but I was listening the other day and my wife commented that she thought it was abit harsh.     I thought it was okay.

I have set some adjustments on the Kii's top end and mid bass.    I was thinking the 22D was a simple way test the room and set up some curves.   I have a fair amount of room treatment at 1st reflections and rear corners.   I left the treatment in when I got the Kii's because I think it actually helped in the room.

Any thoughts anyone on the 22D in the Chain.

Regards Cazzesman 

I have a 22D fed by a rasp. pi as well as Benchmark ADC for vinyl. The 22D is AES into the Kiis. This works well and provides a slight improvement over the Kii. I haven't installed the Dirac 2 update yet, which should help with phasing of the two speakers.

I recently started running Audiolense DRC on my system, straight from the CAPS server over USB to the Kii Control. Sounds great to me, and the AL got rid of a room node with no negative effect on the sound.  I'm also using some DSP EQ in Roon to adjust the sound to my liking. 

What you are proposing sounds fine to me, but I'm not really sure why you need the  Mutec for this kind of setup. Maybe it makes more sense to buy a MiniDSP unit with networking or with USB  - like the Studio SHD or one of the other units - and leave the Mutec out of the chain. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

HI,

Maybe I miss it, but does anyone use Roon Rock with the Kiis's? On Intel Nuc or any other hardware. I have a good old MacBookPro, but to often my Mac just cannot see the Kii's!? Then I have to disconnect USB, ethernet,..., and that usually works.

Looking to purchase Melco, but currently away from my budget. Even thinking to install Rock on my Mac for testing!

Thanks

7 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

Thanks phosphorein,

Do you run your Kii's flat and just use the 22D to shape the sound curve?

Regards Cazzesman

Both approaches. Mostly I just run Audirvana from the Mac into the Kii Control. But when I am listening to vinyl, radio streams or local files I'll use the Pi/22D and can use "sound shaping" if desired. The Dirac is quite good and was essential for a pair of electrostats I had. But the boundary control of the Kiis is quite effective in taming the room.

12 hours ago, Gastronaut said:

HI,

Maybe I miss it, but does anyone use Roon Rock with the Kiis's? On Intel Nuc or any other hardware. I have a good old MacBookPro, but to often my Mac just cannot see the Kii's!? Then I have to disconnect USB, ethernet,..., and that usually works.

Looking to purchase Melco, but currently away from my budget. Even thinking to install Rock on my Mac for testing!

Thanks

I use Roon with a Sonore MicroRendu and have had problems a couple of times with the MicroRendu not recognizing the Control after losing power. Unplugging the Control from the main speaker and MicroRendu and reconnecting does the trick. Otherwise than a couple of small hiccups the combination of Roon and Kii Three is a really good in my ears.