firedog

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Rate this topic

What are the experiences with Power Conditioners / Filters? I´m using a PS Audio P10. But if you listen very loud, it can´t manage the Kiis load anymore and switchs off.
SQ seems to be improved nethertheless. Stage becomes deeper and dynamics is improved too.
Isotek Sigmas didn´t work well. A real dynamic brake. Lab 12 Gordian was not bad, a little bit loss of microdynamics, blarger room but also a little bit indifferent.

My experiences...

11 minutes ago, Yellowspider said:

What are the experiences with Power Conditioners / Filters? I´m using a PS Audio P10. But if you listen very loud, it can´t manage the Kiis load anymore and switchs off.

Thats concerning - I was hoping to run mine through a P10. 

Is the switch off repeatable? Have you been able to monitor the load reading on the P10 when playing that loud - if so what percentage does it hit? (I take it you have them connected to the high current outlets?)

42 minutes ago, Yellowspider said:

What are the experiences with Power Conditioners / Filters? I´m using a PS Audio P10. But if you listen very loud, it can´t manage

I use Audioquest Niagara 7000; notable improvement on low-level noise [clicks, hiss, hum] ie there is absolutely none when the Audioquest is used. No problem with the power handling with any volume thrown at it.

Prior to that I used various Vertex AQ filters which were very good but not quite as good as the Audioquest

Hope this helps

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

Does anyone have power consumption specs for the Kii Three's? All I can find in the specs and manual is consumption on standby which is 0.5W, but how about at peak output?

I'm using what's in my sig. Doesn't seem to have any negative effect. Does it have a positive effect? Maybe. Certainly not a big one.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>RPi4 9(dietpi)>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Blade1001 said:

Thats concerning - I was hoping to run mine through a P10. 

Is the switch off repeatable? Have you been able to monitor the load reading on the P10 when playing that loud - if so what percentage does it hit? (I take it you have them connected to the high current outlets?)

Yes, it´s repeatable. I tried to read the load percentage, it was about 140 percent. Depends not on the outlets, but I've connected them to the high current outlets.
But it is very loud and uncomfortable to hear when this happens. So it is no problem with the P10 in normal use, even when listening loud.

I went down that rabbit hole.  It seems to be very system / AC delivery dependent.  I have two dedicated 20 amp lines and I live next to a power transform so maybe I'm lucky but nothing I tried improved the sound of the Kiis plugged into it over just the wall outlet.  I contacted Kii Audio about conditioners and they said it is system dependent, they may or may not help, without giving any specific component recommendation and that is what I found:

Equitech Balanced Transformer = no change

IsoTek Evo 3 = less dynamic

Furman PST-8 = less dynamic

AQ Niagra 1200 = less dynamic 

I live in a lightning/power surge area and was concern about protection.  My front end is on the Furman strip for surge protection and If a storm is foretasted I turn off the breaker to the room.  Also have whole house surge protection in my main panel.

Netgear modem > Synology router > Roon Nucleus / HDPlex LPS > Kii Control > Kii Three > w/Supra cables

On 9/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, TheStupidOne said:

You shouldn't go for diffusors directly behind your head in this case. Diffusors need some distance to properly create a diffuse sound field, typically above 1-2 meters at least. I have the same kind of placement and have chosen RPG Absorbors. I'd recommend the Broadsorbors 4 inch with a photo print because it's the best on the market.

Here's my absorbors on the concrete wall;

20190704_214749.thumb.jpg.c86a1439c319bd11a84da933880a3920.jpg

I contacted RPG and they ship all panels from UK. Gave them pictures and my experiments so far. Will inform you guys on the outcome. Thanks for the recommendation. Their Broadsorber looks really good! 

I even tried a wedge to reflect the waves to left/right, which worked quiet good to my ears. Degree ist 45 (in the picture it is bigger, but later I adjusted it to 45 degrees). It could be improved towards 60. RPG is also looking into this. Setup of the KII is based on @mitchco recommendation.

It worked better than absorbers I tried, which resulted in a very „dead“ sound.  

0F809581-1D29-44A6-8131-E5251A4EF546.jpeg

On 10/4/2019 at 4:46 AM, Blade1001 said:

Does anyone have power consumption specs for the Kii Three's? All I can find in the specs and manual is consumption on standby which is 0.5W, but how about at peak output?

I used a Kill-a-Watt device to measure all my components including the Kii Three.  Each measured about 2 amps at peak loads and 1 amp during normal listening levels/material.  Half amp at idle, no music playing.  I have USA 120 vac 60 hz incoming power.

Netgear modem > Synology router > Roon Nucleus / HDPlex LPS > Kii Control > Kii Three > w/Supra cables

3 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

I used a Kill-a-Watt device to measure all my components including the Kii Three.  Each measured about 2 amps at peak loads and 1 amp during normal listening levels/material.  Half amp at idle, no music playing.  I have USA 120 vac 60 hz incoming power.

Similar here; usually about 0.7 amps at normal listening (70-75 dBA).

18 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

14 hours ago, phosphorein said:

Similar here; usually about 0.7 amps at normal listening (70-75 dBA).

Thanks guys.

I actually got some information from Kii on this.

On regular playback at normal listening levels the Kii's draw 40-60 watts per speaker from the wall. However at their peak output - that's transient peaks on highest volume/gain settings - they max out at 1200 watts per speaker from the wall.

17 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Guys: where did you purchase your RPG Broadsorbers? Directly from UK?

Yes, I'm in the UK, so I've always dealt with Matt at RPG Europe:

http://www.rpgeurope.com/contact/site-contacts/

They can sometimes take longer than ideal to respond to e-mails etc, but audiophiles buying a couple of panels are obviously not the life blood of their business, so the large commercial projects probably take precedence.

1 hour ago, Blade1001 said:

Thanks guys.

On regular playback at normal listening levels the Kii's draw 40-60 watts per speaker from the wall. However at their peak output - that's transient peaks on highest volume/gain settings - they max out at 1200 watts per speaker from the wall.

My P10 shows about approx. 85 W for both speakers running mid volume (Kii control shows 65 as volume level)

Mostly I listen to digital Music between 62 and 70 volume level Kii Control. What level do the other listeners prefer mainly?

2 minutes ago, Yellowspider said:

My P10 shows about approx. 85 W for both speakers running mid volume (Kii control shows 65 as volume level)

Mostly I listen to digital Music between 62 and 70 volume level Kii Control. What level do the other listeners prefer mainly?

Your measurement would seem about right then for the figures Kii gave me. Obviously this is all dependent on overall listening level at the seating position, and and distance from the speakers.

My Kii Three's aren't ready quiet yet, but normally I listen at around 75dB (pink noise) at a listening distance of around 3 metres.

6 hours ago, Yellowspider said:

I’m usually in that range as well when I’m streaming from Qobuz. Your power consumption meshes with my experience. I sit about 2.5 m from the Kiis.

What is the experience with AES digital cables who use that setup?

I have a dCS Network Bridge connected via AES, in my case quite favorably with a 12 ft Studio grade Mogami Gold AES Digital/Analog XLR Microphone Cable I bought from Amazon. At 76 USD, very good performance for the money. Any other recommendations? I would need a long length, minimum 2 meters or more, since the master speaker and the equipment rack stand apart.

Cheers

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7

44 minutes ago, KunterK said:

What is the experience with AES digital cables who use that setup?

I have a dCS Network Bridge connected via AES, in my case quite favorably with a 12 ft Studio grade Mogami Gold AES Digital/Analog XLR Microphone Cable I bought from Amazon. At 76 USD, very good performance for the money. Any other recommendations? I would need a long length, minimum 2 meters or more, since the master speaker and the equipment rack stand apart.

Cheers

Mogami make good cables, you’re unlikely to get any real performance difference with a different brand. Don’t fall into the trap of believing any audiophile alternative will offer anything better.

One thing to note though is AES cables are supposed to be 110ohm whereas analogue cables are usually 75ohm.

You could try getting a dedicated 110ohm cable, though again, given the distances involved there may not be any audible difference.

4 hours ago, Blade1001 said:

Mogami make good cables, you’re unlikely to get any real performance difference with a different brand. Don’t fall into the trap of believing any audiophile alternative will offer anything better.

One thing to note though is AES cables are supposed to be 110ohm whereas analogue cables are usually 75ohm.

You could try getting a dedicated 110ohm cable, though again, given the distances involved there may not be any audible difference.

Thanks.

This particular Mogami AES says it is 110 Ohm. And at this price range strongly recommended.

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7

On 10/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, Blade1001 said:

Thanks guys.

Is this wattage information from Kii for 120 VAC or something else?

10 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

Is this wattage information from Kii for 120 VAC or something else?

That’s presumably from 240 VAC.

13 hours ago, Blade1001 said:

That’s presumably from 240 VAC.

OK, so 1200 watts at 240 VAC = 5 amps is what Kii reports.   That would be 600 watts at 120 VAC = 5 amps peak with max volume.

My meter only captured 2 amps but that was not max volume or the transient peaks that occur with music.

The speakers are so dynamic they seem to like being plugged straight into the wall without any conditioners.

Dear Fellow BXT owners.

Try providing a second power cable to the Kii Three instead of the jumper cable connecting BXT to Three. I just used the standard cables that came with the Kii's (second set borrowed from a Kii friend) for a good bit of sq improvement. I think the main reason for improvement is, now there is no power cable hovering very closely to the ethernet cables connecting BXT and Three together. The jumper even makes a nice semicircle, I am sure creating all kinds of electromagnetic waves just over the data cables.

Also, for the believer in heart, providing better ethernet cables as jumpers  proved to be beneficial but YMMV on this one.

Just my 2c.

Cheers

My Kii Control is powered down and both speakers are in standby mode and then a message appears on the display of the control saying "Waiting for Speaker".

Any ideas what that means?