IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Just now, dustblue said:

NO, with 77 volume it also overload, try the pirate soundtrack I mentioned.

I tried 2 sets of speakers, one set with 3 different signal paths and all overload above 77 on some sound tracks, I don't think if you test it EXACTLY as I instructed and don't see overload on 80, not mention 85.

I don't mean I don't trust you, just maybe you did something wrong.

Unless there are 2 kinds of Kii threes and the kind we have here is inferior.

And I stated very clearly that when I say overload I mean the limiter kicked in. No offence but if you did not see this it would be very sensible that you did not follow my test instructions accurately.  

I don't really have any more interest in your issue.
Like I said, if you are listening that loud you are, to my way of thinking, a little insane. The Kiis are designed for the 100 setting to be very loud for music with a large real dynamic range (orchestral music, not fake dynamics like those soundtracks)  and for the limiter to kick in to prevent damage to the speakers when they are pushed to their limits. 
Again, if I was you I'd ask Kii if it is a problem for the speakers to have them constantly hitting their limit. And maybe the Kiis aren't for you if that is how you are regularly using them. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

30 minutes ago, mitchco said:

Wow, I am curious at what sound pressure level this is being listened to at the listening position? Do either of you have a SPL meter or can use a SPL meter app on your phone as a rough indicator?

I only managed to get the limiter to kick in on some very bass heavy tracks approaching maximum output. That's perceived as 4 times louder than reference level of 83 db SPL...

So what are folks measuring SPL wise?

At my listening position, I was getting about 101-102db (at almost 3m distance) when the limiter kicked in on that drum solo track. Measured  C weighting,  time setting =fast,  and hi setting (60-130db). This is with an American Recorder SPL meter, model SPL-8810.

That's clearly something which damages your hearing after a relatively short exposure (less than 15 minutes), and something I'd never do for any period of time. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

37 minutes ago, dustblue said:

FYI:

115dB free field single speaker @1m(Kii peak output) =

110dB free field single speaker @3m =

113dB free field twin speaker stereo sound @3m =

115-120dB typical small room  twin speaker stereo sound @3m

May I ask what is your listening room dimensions?   

Where are you getting those figures? I don't know anyone who rates their speakers at 3m. The standard ratings for output are all at 1m. 

Again, peak output means nothing here. Peak means momentary, like a orchestra crescendo. Something that lasts a second or two (or less). Your soundtracks aren't like that, they have extremely loud short term and sustained levels. 

I was measuring 101-102db at just under 3m listening position. That means the output at the speakers together was about 10db more or about 111-112db at 1m for 2 speakers. Or about 108-109 for one speaker (my previous estimate was a bit off). 3m listening position is about a 10db drop from standard measurement at 1m distance. 

So even taking the Kii figure of 110db at 1m for short term as your standard,  that means the speakers stated limits would be 113db output for a pair, and at the 3m listening position that translates to 103 db. And I'd say for the type of music you are referring to, the 105db (long term) standard is the one that should apply. So again, not outside the stated specs of the Kii. 

2 minutes ago, Mazza said:

@dustblue Forgive me but I am starting to miss the point of your thread. 

You now have the Kii's, you are going to put them in this room and either they will work for you or not. If they don't, you have said you will put them in a smaller room. So what is the concern or what is it exactly you want help or advice on?? Or are you just trying to score points on whose maths is correct?

it's not his thread....
He mistakenly thinks his findings mean the Kiis don't meet their output specs. 

7 hours ago, Emlin said:

the first rule of the troll: apologise for kicking things off in the first place, claim to be misunderstood or a victim, then kick things off again as if you'd never apologised in the first place. Masturbate furiously but fail to come. Repeat.

I don't think he is a troll. He has a very specific use in mind, an to my understanding he misunderstands the specs of the Kii and thinks they don't meet spec in his usage scenario. 
Again if he wants to run the Kiis so they are  engaging the limiter on an almost continual basis, I can't imagine that being a long term usage scenario. But instead of asking us, he should be asking Kii. Email usually works. You can call the number on the web site and talk to one of the company principals. It's a very small company. 

2 hours ago, dustblue said:

For people still dont understand why I am so obsessed with the limiter, it’s because figuring this out could potentially save me 200 thousand usd. 

I originally plan to buy wilson alexx (or similar big speakers) and put it in the lobby(forgive me english is not my first language so if this”lobby” word triggers any bad emotion response in your human nature, I apologize for that) , however the kii threes are so good that if could fit large rooms I would rather save the money for something else.

Maybe try them with the BXT module. That's designed to increase output in the bass region. 

6 minutes ago, dustblue said:

Thanks OP.

Yes I would email kii tonight.

Still curious why nobody mentions overload at 80 around volume, I tried 3 different sets if kii threes(including mine) and all Would more or less flash red above 77 volume with dynamic music.

Because no one else is playing back the Kiis in your scenario. I've had them at home for a year and a half and have had the volume occasionally turned all the way up, and never saw the red light from the limiter. I rarely listen to music like your test tracks, but even if I do I'd never listen at those volumes. I want to preserve the hearing I have left, and believe me tinnitus is not something you want to experience. I had it temporarily once, and it's basically a game ender for an audiophile - not to mention it just plain horrible in general. 

7 minutes ago, dustblue said:

Yes I am more than interested in BXT however there is no BXT locally. Dealer told me at least half a year later.

If bxt increase kii three headroom by say 10dB then I would definitely buy BXT instead of wilsons.

AFAIK they haven't published the BXT Specs yet,  but I think I saw mentioned somewhere that's exactly what the BXT does. Again, ask Kii, I'm sure they'd tell you, especially if you tell them that would make you buy them over Wilsons.

3 hours ago, dustblue said:

May I ask when you turned it all the way up, did you attenuated it in the preamp?(no full volume in the preamp/computer interface/dac or whatever processors before Kii threes)

Thanks. 

Not sure I understand. I don't use a preamp. Just digital input to Kii Control. No software volume control. All volume control is in the Kii Control.

3 hours ago, dustblue said:

I am actually not interested in this forum anymore. Many members here don't count on facts and protect their little world very aggressively.

I am not even able to tell is it true or not that when you say you never see the limiter kick in even above 95,  which is simply impossible. The credibility is just low on some of you guys.

You really need to stop  being such a know it all. No one here is protecting their little world. Why would we lie to you? You used the Kiis for one day and came to all sorts of conclusions. You have a community of users, all of whom say their experience doesn't match yours at all. Your response is to basically say we must all be lying?

Do you not see how that makes you sound? 

I'm not denying your personal findings. I am denying that it happens to me. Even at 95. Period. I'm also denying your point (which you apparently dropped) that the Kiis published specs are wrong. 
Jud wasn't the only one to suggest to you to temper the volume levels for ear health. I also suggest you do a bit more reading on the subject. You will damage your hearing with extended listening at the levels you are talking about. 

1 hour ago, dustblue said:

You respect  mitchco right? Ask him when he review the speakers what is the calibrated SPL level.(Ok I tell you it's 83dB single speaker/86dB stereo and that is cinema reference level) I never listen/demo speakers higher than that. When I put my test steps here I also did not instruct any higher than 85dB sound pressure level. 

For kii threes if volume higher than 95 with direct input(no pre-amp attenuation) IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE LIMITER NEVER KICK IN with any well mixed, frequency balanced music materials.

KiiAudio engineers tested that at 81.5 volume the limiter start to kick in with bass heavy stuff, which means if you want to play music at 95 without overload,the music could only have less than 20dB-(95dB-81.5dB)=6.5dB headroom,for some music maybe but for the majority it's simply not true.(there is a 20dB headroom above reference level in music production).

So yeal I don't know I just cant trust you when you say 95 without overload without preamp attenuation. It's plain physics.

When I say you protect your little world is because you don't want to know your beloved product's limitation, any bad words would trigger to react, and you don't want to fact-check(or failed to do so, or lack the ability to do so, whatever.)

About Kii specification being misleading, I don't mention it again is because Kii engineers are very nice and give me very satisfied explanations, I don't want to do any harm to them.

For those who recon me as rude, go back and have a look at what those trolls said. When I found a forum with this kind of bad atmosphere I simply quit. this is my last post here.It would be really stupid  to waste time here anymore.

Limiter never kicks in, on well known recordings of many types: classical, jazz, rock, etc. No preamp or software attenuation. Even at levels in the 90’s, even 95 and above on some recordings.  How about orchestral recordings of symphonies on BIS or DG? How about the remix of Sgt. Pepper? How about the recent “found” recording of John Coltrane? Are those all faulty recordings? Do you know something that all the rest of us and the engineers at those labels don’t know?

But I get it, I’m lying because you think I have a product I want to “protect”. 

I’ll suggest another possibility that is a much more reasonable explanation: you understand a lot less than you think you do. 
Good luck with your hearing. You’ll need it. 

10 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Thanks Bart, that certainly explains it. 

I personally would really welcome it if the Kii Team would participate in the forum. Don’t get me wrong, your E-mail communication is excellent, but details like the above imo would certainly benefit the masses.

Yes, agree. I understand why you don't want to participate in forum debates, but occasionally chiming in with needed  information is a useful type of customer service. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, asiano said:

Considering the Kii Three speakers for a living room system. The Pro version is less expensive with the Rugged High Density Grey Spatter finish. Does anyone know how that finish compares to the standard home finish (Graphite Satin Metallic)? Is the Pro finish suitable for a living room?

Also, the Kii stands are quite expensive. Any recommendations for less expensive stands that look nice and are sturdy enough to keep the Kii's secure? 

It's just a question of your personal taste. The pictures don't tell you the answer?

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

has anyone used or tried the Kiii in a 'room' with a open floor plan?

Yes, but the total space is still not that large - about 40 sg m or 450 sq ft. The Kiis are fine for that in terms of how they function.

It all depends on how loud you listen and what levels of bass response you expect. At some point the Kiis aren’t going to be powerful enough for some people and some rooms.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm wondering how the DSP deals with 'large' spaces (or ported spaces...) - a large room has little boundary effect to deal with

If they are far away from walls you set the DSP accordingly. There's a series of boundary settings from "free standing" to "corner" placement. With the Control you can set multiple levels "in between" those.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I actually was without my Kiis for a few months. One stopped working and I sent them back to the factory for repair. It was a serious hassle from where I live to arrange "export for repair" and not to have to pay customs and VAT again when receiving the speakers back from repair. 

Kii at first offered to handle it all at their expense, but couldn't manage to arrange the shipping and customs issues from abroad. In the end I handled it and paid for the shipment to them. After arrival they told me one speaker was seriously burned out inside. I have no idea how this happened, and the other devices that were attached to the same power strip were all fine. They also informed me that some of the speaker drivers were damaged, apparently during shipment. 

In any case, they decided they couldn't repair this pair and be 100% sure that they would be "like new" and not cause further problems. So  they offered me a slightly used pair they had on hand for testing, and knew to perform at spec. No charge to me, and I was fine with this. They paid for shipment back and I received the "new" speakers today. They actually look like new and sound fine. So I'm happy. 

In the meantime I'd been listening to a conventional setup with a 40 year old pair of KEF standmounts, in an acoustically treated room. I thought that setup was pretty good (other than with symphonic music, where it just can't cut the mustard); but what a shock when I fired up the Kiis - I forgot how amazing they sound. 

In my opinion great customer service, and now I get to listen to all the music I bought in the meantime on the Kiis. 😂

36 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Have you found the root cause of the initial issue?

No. I'm still discussing it with Kii. They originally suggested a lightning strike or power surge, but I'm skeptical, as  other electronics and the other Kii are on the same power strip, and nothing else was damaged, and nothing else in my apartment or my neighbors (I'm in a semi-detached).  I'll get back to Kii again and ask if they came up with anything. 

21 hours ago, phosphorein said:

Same here!

I live in an urban area, but power can be erratic with frequent brief disruptions. I inquired with Kii Audio about precautions with respect to mains power, but Thomas replied that none were needed. However after an incident in which the power cycled off, on, off and on within 5 seconds and the Kii crashed during reboot, I decided that mains protection was essential. I now have each Kii connected to a Vertiv pure-sine wave UPS (1500 VA) and haven't had issues since. Generally I avoid connecting sensitive electronics/computers to power strips.

23 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm interested to know and I'd hate to see you in the same situation again.

Kii got back in touch. I originally understood them to say that one speaker was burned on the inside and they suspected a lightning strike or power surge. They now clarified that the speaker smelled burnt inside. They now think one of the amps burned out and passed DC to a woofer. That caused the burnt smell. They no longer think it was something external to the speaker, just an amp failure. 
That made me feel better, as it's unlikely I will encounter the same failure again in a different set of speakers.

Power protection: I've got a fair bit of power protection and isolation on my system. As far as pure sine wave UPS, do you find any downsides? Others think those type devices aren't suitable for high end audio systems.

1 hour ago, coot said:

Does Kii have a US service center?

Yes. But I'm not in the US and there isn't service for them where I live.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Not sure how this topic will resonate, but I thought it might be interesting to gather some feedback from the Kii Owner Community as to songs one likes to play when showcasing (or showing off) their systems. If enough interest is given, we could put together a public playlist in Tidal/Qobuz? Realize that our tastes will certainly vary but perhaps it is worth giving a try. Here my first few recommendations with no order of preference (format Title - Artist - Album - Comments):

1. Paradis Perdus - Christine and the Queens - Christine and the Queens - Female vocals 

2. Tin Pan Alley - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble -  Can't Stand the Weather

3. Electrified - Boris Blank - Electrified - Electronic

4. When the Funk Drops - Far East Movement, Deorro, Uberjak'd - Single - Party Music

Two totally different answers:

Beyoncé, “Partition” Single-very deep big bass.

Mahler 6th Symphony, Bernstein with Vienna Philharmonic. Especially final movement crescendos, incredible dynamics

2 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Guys,

Thanks for contributing. Really good stuff and very diverse. Reflects well on the Kii's capabilities with various genres. I am putting together a playlist in Tidal but struggling a bit when searching for the classical stuff. Could you check and let me know if you can find your classical selections in Tidal? Will publish the playlist once I have them all in. Don't currently have a Qobuz account, so I am limited in that regard for the moment.

Please feel free if anyone else in the community would like to contribute. The more the better, regardless of preference.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/4321025