IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Got it, thanks. I wonder how the sound of a streamer direct AES to the speakers versus the same streamer USB to the control then from control to the speakers differs.  In other words does the insertion of the control in the signal path impair or even change the sound.  

The insertion of the Control will have no affect whatsoever on the sound.

34 minutes ago, Emlin said:

That fact that there is no basis for any other conclusion.

The Control takes the bits and sends them to the speakers perfectly. 

What is your basis for questioning that?

Perhaps you are confused by the fact that the Control can be used to change the volume, EQ, etc.

In fact the Control doesn't do any of these things within itself, all it does is send signals to the speakers so that they can do it themselves using their internal DSP.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, fpalm69 said:

Anyone with BXT's tried isoacoustics Gaia?  They recommend either the Gaia II or III for the 112 Lb. speaker.  Cost doubles as you go from the II to the III.  Any comments on using these with the Kii Three/BXT?

Avoid snake oil, please!

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Beren said:

After two and a half years of good service one of the tweeters of my Kii Threes stopped working at the end of June. The repair needed about two months, due to the moving of Kii's entire production from NL to Germany - they first had to built up the infrastructure for repairs and measuring again. Nonetheless I'm utterly speechless on how well everything worked out, from the collecting of the speakers by UPS to changing the defected parts and delivering them back to my home, all done as a warranty case and free of any cost for me. Fantastic customer service, Kii! Now they are back and playing as smooth as ever. In these two months I had forgotten HOW damn good these speakers really are.

Good to hear. Any idea why the tweeter failed? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

From the manual (see d):

Installation + Connector Panel
Power - The Kii THREE has no power switch. 
Simply plug the power cable into the IEC socket (f) and if no audio signal is present, 
the speaker will automatically go into standby mode. 
As soon as the input detects any audio signal (analog or digital) it will automatically power on. 
This can take up to 7 seconds. 
Here is an overview of the connector panel from left to right:
a) SERIAL NUMBER - This is the individual Serial No. for each speaker.
b) XLR INPUT - This is the single XLR Input connector which can be set to process analog or digital 
audio signals, depending on how the Select switch (c) is set.
c) SELECT SWITCH - this three position mini switch selects whether the XLR Input functions as an 
analog input for this individual speaker, or if either the right or left channel of the AES signal will be 
played by this speaker. 
d) P/R button - Pair (WISA source) / Reset, 
this button will be used for interaction with future Kii Audio products.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, firedog said:

I've connected a NUC to the Kii Control. I think it will be fine. The Kii isn't very sensitive to USB sources IME.

With Bruno Putzeys as the designer, I would suggest that it has no susceptibility whatsoever to any problems with any USB source that isn't totally broken.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
2 hours ago, pam1975 said:

is it actually possible to upgrade amps in the Kii Three ? do they offer the service?

What makes you think that it would be an upgrade? There's zero chance that there would be an audible difference just from swapping the amps. 

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Warboys2 said:

I have to say I’m really impressed with the Eversolo, it feels good quality and very well designed. That said, I am of course now wondering whether a ‘better’ streamer would get even more out of the Kiis. 
It never ends! 🙂

As that's impossible, I'd just sit back and enjoy if I were you. 

2 minutes ago, grubble said:

I wish I could actually figure out how to secure the Kii Control down stable enough to sit on some isolation footers/etc. It's too light and with the connected cables (my Phasure USB cable is HEAVY) and the rack positioning, the Control ends up getting dragged in odd positions.

Does anyone have a solution that isn't an iPad stand?

Ditch the heavy cable. 

12 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The controller connects to the speakers, reading from the literature, via the KiiLink cable - therefore, it is part of the circuitry which forms the system; the fact that it's some distance away from the vibrating speaker is always meaningless; quite often, being not integrated with the main component makes thing worse, because the link between the two parts becomes a weak spot in the whole.

Digital is a terrible taskmaster ... the slightest 'imperfection' in how a signal is handled somewhere can have an audible impact. It's not "bad engineering", it's that the design has to be debugged and debugged and debugged, to ensure that you "don't hear" any negative consequences. And most companies don't have the resources, or desire, to get that fiddly about things ...

Utter rubbish. If it were true, the Internet wouldn't work. 

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The fantasy world that a lot of audio people live in is that if one has two boxes, one marked "digital stuff!", and the other marked, "analogue stuff!", that they live on opposite sides of the world, with regard to any negative interactions between them. In the meantime, in the real world, electrical engineers have to work out how to minimise any unwanted electrical cross interference occurring - and leave those who want to believe that things are as simple as some promotional, etc, literature would have you believe to dream on ... :)

Could we please discuss this in private the next time that I'm in Narnia? Until then, adieu.