IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

I went down that rabbit hole.  It seems to be very system / AC delivery dependent.  I have two dedicated 20 amp lines and I live next to a power transform so maybe I'm lucky but nothing I tried improved the sound of the Kiis plugged into it over just the wall outlet.  I contacted Kii Audio about conditioners and they said it is system dependent, they may or may not help, without giving any specific component recommendation and that is what I found:

Equitech Balanced Transformer = no change

IsoTek Evo 3 = less dynamic

Furman PST-8 = less dynamic

AQ Niagra 1200 = less dynamic 

I live in a lightning/power surge area and was concern about protection.  My front end is on the Furman strip for surge protection and If a storm is foretasted I turn off the breaker to the room.  Also have whole house surge protection in my main panel.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

On 10/4/2019 at 4:46 AM, Blade1001 said:

Does anyone have power consumption specs for the Kii Three's? All I can find in the specs and manual is consumption on standby which is 0.5W, but how about at peak output?

I used a Kill-a-Watt device to measure all my components including the Kii Three.  Each measured about 2 amps at peak loads and 1 amp during normal listening levels/material.  Half amp at idle, no music playing.  I have USA 120 vac 60 hz incoming power.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, Blade1001 said:

Thanks guys.

I actually got some information from Kii on this.

On regular playback at normal listening levels the Kii's draw 40-60 watts per speaker from the wall. However at their peak output - that's transient peaks on highest volume/gain settings - they max out at 1200 watts per speaker from the wall.

Is this wattage information from Kii for 120 VAC or something else?

13 hours ago, Blade1001 said:

That’s presumably from 240 VAC.

OK, so 1200 watts at 240 VAC = 5 amps is what Kii reports.   That would be 600 watts at 120 VAC = 5 amps peak with max volume.

My meter only captured 2 amps but that was not max volume or the transient peaks that occur with music.

The speakers are so dynamic they seem to like being plugged straight into the wall without any conditioners.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Performed the update today and all went well.  Very straight forward and I think the SQ improved a bit?  The gain was increased because I had to lower the dB level down a few to get the same SPL.  Really like the PEQ feature, lots of tuning ahead.

Good job Kii Audio!

I used the new PEQ to knock down a nasty peak I had at 39Hz.  Sounds much better now.

I wonder what the difference is in PEQ constant Q and prog Q?

Good job Kii.

Last night I used REW to help me find the optimal speaker position in my room.  Moving them a bit further into the room and closer together gave me a flatter response and it did sound much better.  Boundary was left at -4 setting.  As you adjust the boundary setting and do a sweep in REW you can clearly see what each setting is doing to the bass response.  Still have much more tweaking to do, just getting started but encouraged by the positive results from being able to see a sweep response graph, make an adjustment, then listen to the result.

Slightly change in topic but I am using a Roon Nucleus straight into the Kii Control via USB.  This is giving me very good sound.  I tried various devices - EtherRegen, Sonore optical signature Rendu, SoTM trio, Auralic Aries G2, and a few other USB clean up devices but in each case the plain old Nucleus to Kii gave me comparable results.  I think it has to do with the Roon software/protocol RAAT communication effectively (bit-perfect) with the Kii Control ALSA.

I opened the Kii Control to check the XMOS chip but could not determine which model it was - U132A0C40 and some other numbers.  I believe the latest FW update also updated the XMOS.  Does anyone have any info on the XMOS used in the Kii Control?  Perhaps it is cleaning up the USB signal/power/clocking so that additional devices are not needed?

I was anticipating the XMOS to say XU208 somewhere but it did not. Whatever model chip, it is doing a great job handling the USB signal. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I was using Supra Ethernet cable with good results but just now installed Blue Jeans Cat5 and I like the SQ better.  The BJ cable is more flexible, reasonably priced, comes with a test data sheet and you can get any color and length.  Been using BJ cables for years with very good results - best value/performance out there.  Nothing fancy, just good solid well made products backed with info and data on what cable and connectors they use.

• 3 months later...

Be aware that when you reset the speaker the volume will default to zero attenuation - FULL on volume will result.  After the reset turn the volume knob to readjust the volume to a more suitable level or else it will blow you away and maybe your drivers too.  Found out the hard way....sounded like two gun shots, right then left.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with BXT's tried isoacoustics Gaia?  They recommend either the Gaia II or III for the 112 Lb. speaker.  Cost doubles as you go from the II to the III.  Any comments on using these with the Kii Three/BXT?

• 6 months later...

Is the RCA to XLR cable/adapter known to be the correct configuration and tested?

Also the KII Control will have to set to XLR input by simply touching that input on the control.

• 2 months later...

If you press the P/R button this will reset power and DSP functions.  Be careful as this reset may leave the volume at 100 and the next audio signal will blast you out of your chair.  Just be sure to adjust the volume back after a reset.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through a lot of streamers and built two NUC/ROCKs.  For the money and simplicity the ROCK via USB to the control works great and is robust with easy updates. 

If you want more - optimize the system using something like REW to sweep the speaker/room and make adjustments with the Kii Control settings to get the best room response (all free).  Room treatments will help with the reverb time (thick carpets and overstuffed furniture is good).  Consider a either two 20Amp service outlets or a single 30Amp dedicated service (no fancy conditioners needed).  Lastly a well designed streamer like Innuos and Black Cat USB cables can improve SQ once you have everything else working and you like to sit in a dedicated sound room with low noise floor and listen carefully.  

So....Yes, NUC/ROCK via USB to the control will give you the 99% of the Kii Audio experience.  Diminishing return will soon follow but it is there if you want to pursue.  I did not even mention the BXT yet.

• 3 months later...

My trip to Munich HIgh End Show and to Kii open house got cancelled.  Glad you made it and thanks for the report.  Yes, when I added the BXT to my Three it did everything better - dynamics, lower distortion/better resolution, bass response went deeper and clearer.  Did not know there was musical detail in the lower bass.

Hope to make the trip next year.

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 5:13 PM, Kelly said:

Finally got a chance to hear the bxts. I helped someone setup a new set that replaced an ancient (and well loved) Vandersteen/ARC system.  It was in a very large room with main listening positions being about 16 feet from the plane of the speakers. Their power is no joke. They can absolutely blow your head off. They are dangerously easy to get to crazy loud volumes and sound completely clean. We experimented with various room positions and tone eq and found that we preferred the tone roll-off prescribed by mitchco (-4db at 2500hz.) The speakers ended up about 6 inches from the back wall due to practical room considerations. Boundary adjustments were a snap.

In addition to the lowest bass improvement, improvements in the mid and upper bass is significant. There is a bit more flesh on the bones, things marginally just a bit fuller sounding, especially at higher spl. The audiophile cliche “Flight of the Cosmic Hippo” is well served by the bxt. The tone and texture of Victor Wooten’s bass is more convincing than even the best headphone systems I have heard. Bass drums sound just a little more real and hit you harder than the Kii Three alone.

I would say that some claims of the BXT sounding like a completely different speaker system from the Three are a bit overblown. Coming back to my system, I have a small-ish room and have very rarely encountered the bass limiter, and that was basically when I was intentionally pushing the system looking for it. I don’t feel the need to add the BXTs for more than double the money. I really don’t even feel the need to add subs. The improvement is real, but the Three performs well enough for my use that the deminishing returns returns curve would be difficult to rationalize. For someone that has a huge room or needs high SPL, it is perfect (if costly.)