IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

3 hours ago, baconbrain said:

The sleigh has landed ... :)

FC22A17A-60E6-42E6-97D1-C5BB37E1E925.jpeg

Congratulations!  

Also, good idea to be sure to place them on cloth.  I tipped one of mine forward while messing with its almost-inaccessible connection panel around back and it really took of some paint.  I was not happy with myself, obviously, but was also really surprised with how fragile the paint was....

Roon --> ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1 --> Kii CONTROL --> Kii THREE active speakers (everything on Black Ravioli bases and footers)

Congrats. Be careful moving them around - they are very heavy and the drivers are exposed everywhere.

Let us know how you are enjoying them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks everyone.

Yes, carrying them is a bit of a challenge since one is not sure where the best place is on the enclosure to grab onto without damaging something. The cloth suggestion is also a good one. Especially at the beginning when experimenting with placement and settings.

Will report back with impressions once I have them setup. Could take a bit as I am having some custom made mounts built which won‘t be finished before the holidays. Also curious as to how they will sound in a 2.1 setup.

Happy Holidays!

Don't think a 2.1 setup will bring you a better sound. I also made custom stands, looking the same like the original but with a thicker base plate  and top plate.

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

28 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Also curious as to how they will sound in a 2.1 setup.

Interesting, especially with that sub. How are you going to do the hookup?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

5 hours ago, firedog said:

Interesting, especially with that sub. How are you going to do the hookup?

I am going to let my Trinnov (acting as a pre-amp/streamer) handle the bass management configuration. My thinking is to allow the SW to only handle the really deep end stuff. Will certainly take some experimentation to find the appropriate crossover and filter settings.

If in fact, it turns out to be too much of a good thing, I can always use the SW as an attractive coffee table .. ;) 

1 hour ago, baconbrain said:

I am going to let my Trinnov (acting as a pre-amp/streamer) handle the bass management configuration. My thinking is to allow the SW to only handle the really deep end stuff. Will certainly take some experimentation to find the appropriate crossover and filter settings.

If in fact, it turns out to be too much of a good thing, I can always use the SW as an attractive coffee table .. ;) 

Okay, didn't see you have a Trinnov. Are you going to be doing DRC? Kal Rubinson reported that using DRC made little difference in his setup when evaluating the Kiis, so let us know what you find.

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Okay, didn't see you have a Trinnov. Are you going to be doing DRC? Kal Rubinson reported that using DRC made little difference in his setup when evaluating the Kiis, so let us know what you find.

Yes, will definately setup a DRC profile. Also as Kal had mentioned earlier, I have always preferred to then equilize to taste (based upon style of music, etc.) after applying the digital room correction.

Really looking forward to „tinkering“ with this setup and see (or hear) what comes out. Will report back after first impressions.

2 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Really looking forward to „tinkering“ with this setup and see (or hear) what comes out. Will report back after first impressions.

A really nice product to tinker with. It goes on stands in your case, right?

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

After  8 moths with the Kii Three speakers this is my experience:

I think the Kii Control is a necessary component for getting the best result from these active speakers. My $10K preamp with a built-in full digital board,  connected analog  out directly to each speaker sounded very good. But my digital sources through the simple Kii Control sounded better !. Also all the settings  and a perfect intergation using it for TV and movie sound will be much easier with the Kii Control.

- Using better power cables with much better (Furutech) connectors also will have a positiv impact on the overall soundstage.

- My original Kii stands are nice but the top-plate with the gasket will have a full connection  to the speakers. This causes the speaker stand to vibrate and make unwanted resonnace to the floor.

Solution: Fill the stands with sand and I have also used four extra rubber dampers on the top-plates  to lift the speakers aprox. 2-3 mm over the gasket. This also have improved the low frequency  and made the overall sound more "airy" and even a more  3D soundstage.

IMG_3082a.jpeg

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

6 hours ago, atletico said:

After  8 moths with the Kii Three speakers this is my experience:

I think the Kii Control is a necessary component for getting the best result from these active speakers. My $10K preamp with a built-in full digital board,  connected analog  out directly to each speaker sounded very good. But my digital sources through the simple Kii Control sounded better !. Also all the settings  and a perfect intergation using it for TV and movie sound will be much easier with the Kii Control.

- Using better power cables with much better (Furutech) connectors also will have a positiv impact on the overall soundstage.

- My original Kii stands are nice but the top-plate with the gasket will have a full connection  to the speakers. This causes the speaker stand to vibrate and make unwanted resonnace to the floor.

Solution: Fill the stands with sand and I have also used four extra rubber dampers on the top-plates  to lift the speakers aprox. 2-3 mm over the gasket. This also have improved the low frequency  and made the overall sound more "airy" and even a more  3D soundstage.

IMG_3082a.jpeg

Nice looking setup. Curious as to which power cables you are using? Did the Furutech connectors fit without a problem? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all connectors fit ...

21 hours ago, atletico said:

But my digital sources through the simple Kii Control sounded better !

Agree with this. I have a better sound by using the iso regen and ultrarendu combo direct to the kii control (no cable only the uspcb adapters). Previously I used the Singxer f1 with a canara aes spdif converter. And Wireworld gold aes cable to connect with the kii. With the kii control treble is better and the stereo image is better detailed. Very happy with the kii control. 

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

16 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Nice looking setup. Curious as to which power cables you are using? Did the Furutech connectors fit without a problem? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all connectors fit ...

The power cables are special made for me . LMC FAT cables with Furutech  FI-11M(Cu)connectors in the wall end  and this is perfect into the back of the Kii Three speakers FI-C15 NCF :  http://www.furutech.com/2016/11/07/13978/

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

Just finishing up a long listening session with the Kiis - everything from Bach organ music to the Beatles' "Abbey Road".

I really am amazed at how good they sound, with every type of music.....

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Question regarding the Cat. 5 cable connecting the two speakers.

Can it be replaced by any standard Cat. 5 cable or does it have a Kii specific pinout?

I did just that. Kii confirmed they use standard cable.

7 hours ago, firedog said:

I did just that. Kii confirmed they use standard cable.

Yes, I am using Audioquest's Cinnamon (which is somewhat dubiously graded CAT7)... because I'm an audiophile and I get nervous (not a good excuse, I know).  Anyway, it works just fine, no problems at all.  The cables that come with the Kii's actually look quite nice and robust, but I've never tried them.

Roon --> ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1 --> Kii CONTROL --> Kii THREE active speakers (everything on Black Ravioli bases and footers)

10 hours ago, input username here said:

Yes, I am using Audioquest's Cinnamon (which is somewhat dubiously graded CAT7)... because I'm an audiophile and I get nervous (not a good excuse, I know).  Anyway, it works just fine, no problems at all.  The cables that come with the Kii's actually look quite nice and robust, but I've never tried them.

Curious, does the Audioquest's Cinnamon (CAT 7) sound better than the cables that come with the Kii's?

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

On 24.12.2017 at 6:44 PM, firedog said:

Just finishing up a long listening session with the Kiis - everything from Bach organ music to the Beatles' "Abbey Road".

I really am amazed at how good they sound, with every type of music.....

It's cool that you like 'em! What's the distance between you and both speakers? 

14 hours ago, jaspal kallar said:

Curious, does the Audioquest's Cinnamon (CAT 7) sound better than the cables that come with the Kii's?

I honestly don't know.  I've never used the bundled cable. 

Like I said, not really a great way to make buying decisions.  But, the way my speakers are set up, wire-swapping is a real pain in the ass and so, this way, I just don't have to worry (or I worry less) that I'm getting the most out of my speakers ... and I like to think that peace of mind's priceless.  (Everything, the ultraRendu, the Kii CONTROL and the THREEs are all lashed up with AQ Cinnamon; the USB and PC's are from Kubala Sosna, and I am willing to go on record to say that those certainly make a positive difference in sound quality).

What I can say about the AQ is that the short runs of Cinnamon, which feature a very nice braided jacket, are much more attractive than a stock CAT5/6/7, though the longer runs use a disappointing rubber jacket.  Also, the connectors are certainly of higher quality than most others, at least from a visual perspective (though not nearly as cool-looking as the Telegartner RJ-45s on AQ's higher-end Ethernet cables).  Whether or not this all adds up to better sound quality, I really cannot say--it certainly might... and I doubt very much that it sounds any worse.

10 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

It's cool that you like 'em! What's the distance between you and both speakers? 

Approx 2.85m. It's a fairly small room, which is part of the reason I bought the Kiis. I can get full range reproduction (20-20k), lots of dynamics, and still not overload the room. Difficult to do with a conventional system in a room like this. 

27 minutes ago, firedog said:

Approx 2.85m. It's a fairly small room, which is part of the reason I bought the Kiis. I can get full range reproduction (20-20k), lots of dynamics, and still not overload the room. Difficult to do with a conventional system in a room like this. 

It depends on a system, but yes, what you did seems reasonable and the solution itself - Kii - is said to be of great quality.