IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm interested to know and I'd hate to see you in the same situation again.

Same here!

I live in an urban area, but power can be erratic with frequent brief disruptions. I inquired with Kii Audio about precautions with respect to mains power, but Thomas replied that none were needed. However after an incident in which the power cycled off, on, off and on within 5 seconds and the Kii crashed during reboot, I decided that mains protection was essential. I now have each Kii connected to a Vertiv pure-sine wave UPS (1500 VA) and haven't had issues since. Generally I avoid connecting sensitive electronics/computers to power strips.

21 hours ago, phosphorein said:

Same here!

I live in an urban area, but power can be erratic with frequent brief disruptions. I inquired with Kii Audio about precautions with respect to mains power, but Thomas replied that none were needed. However after an incident in which the power cycled off, on, off and on within 5 seconds and the Kii crashed during reboot, I decided that mains protection was essential. I now have each Kii connected to a Vertiv pure-sine wave UPS (1500 VA) and haven't had issues since. Generally I avoid connecting sensitive electronics/computers to power strips.

23 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm interested to know and I'd hate to see you in the same situation again.

Kii got back in touch. I originally understood them to say that one speaker was burned on the inside and they suspected a lightning strike or power surge. They now clarified that the speaker smelled burnt inside. They now think one of the amps burned out and passed DC to a woofer. That caused the burnt smell. They no longer think it was something external to the speaker, just an amp failure. 
That made me feel better, as it's unlikely I will encounter the same failure again in a different set of speakers.

Power protection: I've got a fair bit of power protection and isolation on my system. As far as pure sine wave UPS, do you find any downsides? Others think those type devices aren't suitable for high end audio systems.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

26 minutes ago, firedog said:

Kii got back in touch. I originally understood them to say that one speaker was burned on the inside and they suspected a lightning strike or power surge. They now clarified that the speaker smelled burnt inside. They now think one of the amps burned out and passed DC to a woofer. That caused the burnt smell. They no longer think it was something external to the speaker, just an amp failure. 
That made me feel better, as it's unlikely I will encounter the same failure again in a different set of speakers.

Power protection: I've got a fair bit of power protection and isolation on my system. As far as pure sine wave UPS, do you find any downsides? Others think those type devices aren't suitable for high end audio systems.

I had something similar in my Kii's

They advised sending both speakers in . I think they replaced the amps in both and possibly the DACs.

No charge for either. They have great customer service!

1 hour ago, coot said:

Does Kii have a US service center?

Yes. But I'm not in the US and there isn't service for them where I live.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Good to hear that there was only a minor failure mode even though inconvenient. After @tomjtx reporting a similar incident, I wonder how common this problem is?

As far as negative audio consequences of pure sine-wave power, I have not discerned any. I am getting a constant filtered 123 V which is corrected for under- or over voltage conditions. All positive as far as I'm concerned.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:21 PM, firedog said:

In any case, they decided they couldn't repair this pair and be 100% sure that they would be "like new" and not cause further problems. So  they offered me a slightly used pair they had on hand for testing, and knew to perform at spec. No charge to me, and I was fine with this. They paid for shipment back and I received the "new" speakers today. They actually look like new and sound fine. So I'm happy. 

They handled it nicely, you're happy. Good stuff.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

I too have had great support from Kii Audio.  My Kii Control stopped working so after a call to my US dealer and then to Kii in Germany they did a TeamView to remotely confirm my remote was faulty, which is was, and promptly shipped me a new one.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

21 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

I too have had great support from Kii Audio.  My Kii Control stopped working so after a call to my US dealer and then to Kii in Germany they did a TeamView to remotely confirm my remote was faulty, which is was, and promptly shipped me a new one.

Products this pricey should be supported like so. It's also cool that they worked on the issue remotely. 

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 4/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, Pure Vinyl Club said:

I would recommend a Curious Cable.
From LAN cables I tried different - in order of improvement:
AQ Pearl
Ghentaudio CAT6A (ET02 Belden 1303E CAT6A Metz Ethernet(JSSG) Cable)
Melco Audiophile Ethernet Network Cable
AQ Vodka
Fidata HFLC

Coming soon from Japan AIM NA7.
I will compare Fidata Vs AIM NA7.

Hello, 

Have you had  the pleasure and the fortune of being able to hear it ?

Regards

Don't overlook Supra cables - excellent value.  I have them on the Kii and after a lot of comparisons (USB, Ethernet & Power) I went with Supra on everything.  Best sound in my system yet.

Just my experience after changing some cables. My combo is Chord Signature LAN with FTA Callisto USB.

I have tried Wireworld and Curious USBs, but ended up with this combination. Great value for money!

The best combination was Chord Signature LAN with Chord Sarum USB. Superb, but out of my pocket range.

I swapped out the stock Ethernet cables with some none descript but good quality Cat 7, no perceived improvement but they look much nicer!. Recently tried Audioquest Vodka and they had absolutely no difference.

Much more mileage was had by swapping the usb cable to the remote, very very different. As always YMMV so ensure any cables tried can be on loan first.

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

I use essential audio power cables and the Lush 2 usb cable. The Lush is a real accession to my setup. I love wat they do, I used the uspcb adapter first. The Lush is much better in my set. Sometimes I think nobody has heard the kii like this, really enjoying!

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

Actually,  a friend bought over his Lush USB and we compared it to the Supra and both of us were surprised that we both preferred the Supra.  Of course, everything is system dependent.  I have the SOtM trio employed in my system.

Never tried the Supra. But I tried my lush 2 on another kii setup but with the auralic aries and it didn't realy changed a lot. Maybee the combination with the iso regen and ultrarendu workshop better with the Lush.

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @bobfa my vyinal setup, VPI Prime TT with Ortofon 2M Black>RCM Sensor 2>XLR AQ Yukon into each Kii Three XLR input switched to analog. Very happy with SQ I get with this setup. My Kii Audio dealer/distributor here in Australia advised the best and Kii Audio recommended connection for a TT is from a phono stage into the XLR inputs on the Kii Threes. In fact this is the demo set up in the store and the dealer owner’s personal vyinal setup at his home. An alternative connection method could be something like the PS Audio phono converter with toslink output into the toslink input on the Kii  controler, this was my original plan but PS Audio had just ceased production of the Phono converter and none were available here in Australia. I guess you could add in an ADC from any other phono stage to the Kii Controler also. Phono stage choice is limited with XLR outputs, but I guess you could use an RCA to XLR adapter if your phone stage is RCA output only. I did try a Goldnote PH-10 phono stage but was unhappy with SQ and returned it. I highly recommend the RCM Sensor 2, gain and load dip switches on back are easy to access and separate PSU and very quiet. I’ve had my Kii Threes on Kii Stands with Kii Controller for 8 months, very, very happy with my Kii Threes, sound absolutely amazing in my large 12m x 5m open plan living, dinning, kitchen room. My digital front end is an Aurender N100 music player/server, USB into the Kii Controller. Just buy them, get the Kii Controller, this is essential in my opinion. 40+ years I have been upgrading and swapping out components and speakers spent huge $ over the years, Kii Threes are end game for me. 

Kii Three, Kii Stands, Kii Control. Aurender N100, 1TB SSD. Rega Planer 10 with Alpheta 3 MC cart, RCM Sensor 2 Phono Stage. PS Audio AC5 Power Regenerator. Audioquest Cat5 Ethernet, Diamond USB & Yukon XLR.

Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia.

6 hours ago, bobfa said:

I am looking very closely at a pair of Kii Threes.  I was interested to see how folks are hooking their turntables up?  

Also any comments from long term owners?

My Kii Three speakers are now two years old. I'm very happy and impressed with the sound in my living room from my quite simple setup ( compared to my earlier bigger and more expensive systems). My Clearaudio Concept turntable with Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II pick up with  Rega Fono MC Phono Stage connected with a special made rca/XLR cable direct into the back of each of the Kii's  sounds really nice and are beeing used for "late night with a good wine listening". That leaves me with 3 digital inputs on my Kii Control and one analog input on the back of the speakers. All 4 sources with a possible individual setup,  controlled  from the Kii Control. 

The dedicated people behind Kii Audio have given me a superb support and have also performed some software upgrades using internet and teamviewer from my pc connected with usb to Kii Control in my living room. Highly recommended !

IMG_3647.jpg

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

I am using SAM Aldebaran turntable with TransFi linear tonearm, ZYX bloom R50 cartridge, CineMag step-up and EAR 834P phono! Cables are directly connected to speakers from 834P.  Very very happy with this combo.

I also use MacBookPro, but planning to upgrade to Melco.

Also end game for me after changing many components. You just hear everything and that's it. 

11 hours ago, bobfa said:

I am looking very closely at a pair of Kii Threes.  I was interested to see how folks are hooking their turntables up?  

Also any comments from long term owners?

Phono preamp to Benchmark ADC to Minidsp DDRC22 (Dirac Live) and AES into Kii Three.

It is very interesting to see the different methods of connection.  This will take some planning.  Thank you all for the replies.  

My current turntable is a VPI traveler with a Soundsmith Carmen cartridge.  I just have a Schiit Phono stage into my AYRE AX-5 Twenty for now.   I was looking at the Sound Design Phono stage that has balanced out to do direct to the Threes.   I am sad that PS Audio has discontinued their Phono stage with ADC 

It might be nice to have some sort of passive input switch in there then I could see if I really need to keep the YGGY!

My primary digital source will be my NUC endpoint running either Roon or Sqeezelite.  .

It will be about 4 weeks till this can happen so I still have some time to develop a plan.

17 hours ago, bobfa said:

It is very interesting to see the different methods of connection.  This will take some planning.  Thank you all for the replies.  

My current turntable is a VPI traveler with a Soundsmith Carmen cartridge.  I just have a Schiit Phono stage into my AYRE AX-5 Twenty for now.   I was looking at the Sound Design Phono stage that has balanced out to do direct to the Threes.   I am sad that PS Audio has discontinued their Phono stage with ADC 

It might be nice to have some sort of passive input switch in there then I could see if I really need to keep the YGGY!

My primary digital source will be my NUC endpoint running either Roon or Sqeezelite.  .

It will be about 4 weeks till this can happen so I still have some time to develop a plan.

I am thinking to purchase this one: http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7240.htm