IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

17 hours ago, firedog said:

I have heard of users attaching a turntable and phono preamp with good results, but other than occasional use, I can't see why anyone would do that. If that's your main source, the Kii would seem like an odd choice for a system.

The Aries Femto usb to Kii Control is still my main source  but the turntable / RIAA also sound as good as ever direct into the XLR  in each speaker. As long as all sources are controlled by the Kii Controll (digital preamp) this is no problem at all.  No reason not to include the turntable if you using the Kii Three's... In my system also the vinyl sounds very impressive and after I got my resonance problems from the Kii stands exposed to my floor and to the pickup solved, I have even played  more vinyl than I have done for a long time.

However the next upgrade could maybe be the Aries G2. I'm looking forward to demo this new streamer.

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

1 hour ago, Kelly said:

The Kii Control has an IR receiver on it. I use a cheap, generic $7 Apple remote with it. You can control volume (up and down buttons), mute off/on (play/pause button), and source (side to side) with it. You do have to leave the butt of Kii control exposed or at least direct line of site visible for this to work. 

2 hours ago, ds58 said:

Looks fantastic, and great job on the stand for the Kii Control...

But this raises a question -- if I understand how the Kii Control works, wouldn't it be more useful if the Kii Control were two components? I'm thinking one near your components and the speakers, and another (hopefully) wireless controller with the source switching and volume control? This would allow you to control volume at your listening position...

Bump

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

2 hours ago, ds58 said:

Looks fantastic, and great job on the stand for the Kii Control...

But this raises a question -- if I understand how the Kii Control works, wouldn't it be more useful if the Kii Control were two components? I'm thinking one near your components and the speakers, and another (hopefully) wireless controller with the source switching and volume control? This would allow you to control volume at your listening position...

Thanks ds58.

My homemade stainless steel stand has an angle of aprox. 17 degrees and  a rubber coating on top for the Kii Control to stay safe. The Apple remote works very well from my listening position. A touch on the Apple remote  will "wake up" the speakers from stand by and you can switch between the sources, adjust the volum and mute the volum ( you can set up the mute db grade in the settings in Kii Control)

Head-fi:

My phono stage has no XLR out, just rca. I use a 2 x 3 meter special made rca to XLR cable from phono stage, direct into each speaker. The XLR input on the speakers are controlled by the Kii Control (digital preamp) and all the manual switches / settings on the back of each speaker are bypassed by the settings in Kii Control. This works like a dream and I have full control on my four input sources.

You can even make a unik sound preset for each of this inputs if this is convenient.

Head-fi:

My impression "short"  summary:

-The Kii Control is a necessary component for getting the best result from these active speakers. My $10K preamp with a built-in full digital board,  connected analog  out directly to each speaker sounded very good. But my digital sources through the simple Kii Control sounded better !...My preamp will be sold. Also all the settings will be much easier with the Kii Control.

- Using better power cables with much better (Furutech) connectors also will have a positiv impact on the overall soundstage.

- My original Kii stands are nice but the top-plate with the gasket will have a full connection  to the speakers. This causes the speaker stand to vibrate and make unwanted resonnace to the floor.

Solution: Fill the stands with sand and I have also used four extra rubber dampers on the top-plates  to lift the speakers aprox. 2-3 mm over the gasket. This also have improved the low frequency  and made the overall sound more "airy" and  a more  3D soundstage.

The Kii Three speakers have now replaced my 3 times more expensive set up and I'm very impressed with the overall sound these speaker now present in my living room.

Head-fi:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 0:08 AM, atletico said:

My impression "short"  summary:

-The Kii Control is a necessary component for getting the best result from these active speakers. My $10K preamp with a built-in full digital board,  connected analog  out directly to each speaker sounded very good. But my digital sources through the simple Kii Control sounded better !...My preamp will be sold. Also all the settings will be much easier with the Kii Control.

- Using better power cables with much better (Furutech) connectors also will have a positiv impact on the overall soundstage.

- My original Kii stands are nice but the top-plate with the gasket will have a full connection  to the speakers. This causes the speaker stand to vibrate and make unwanted resonnace to the floor.

Solution: Fill the stands with sand and I have also used four extra rubber dampers on the top-plates  to lift the speakers aprox. 2-3 mm over the gasket. This also have improved the low frequency  and made the overall sound more "airy" and  a more  3D soundstage.

The Kii Three speakers have now replaced my 3 times more expensive set up and I'm very impressed with the overall sound these speaker now present in my living room.

The Kii Control  get the best out of the Kii Three speakers. This is my experience.

Head-fi:

5 hours ago, firedog said:

Oh, I agree the digital input sounds better. But the analog input sounds virtually identical to what the analog source sounds like.

Agree,  and that's why I'm also using my turntable with the new Rega Fono MC RIAA into the analog XLR input on each speaker with excellent result together with the digital Inputs on Kii Control. All my 4 sources are nicely controlled from my listing position with an Apple remote sendt to the Kii Control.

Head-fi:

• 3 months later...

After  8 moths with the Kii Three speakers this is my experience:

I think the Kii Control is a necessary component for getting the best result from these active speakers. My $10K preamp with a built-in full digital board,  connected analog  out directly to each speaker sounded very good. But my digital sources through the simple Kii Control sounded better !. Also all the settings  and a perfect intergation using it for TV and movie sound will be much easier with the Kii Control.

Solution: Fill the stands with sand and I have also used four extra rubber dampers on the top-plates  to lift the speakers aprox. 2-3 mm over the gasket. This also have improved the low frequency  and made the overall sound more "airy" and even a more  3D soundstage.

IMG_3082a.jpeg

Head-fi:

16 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Nice looking setup. Curious as to which power cables you are using? Did the Furutech connectors fit without a problem? I seem to remember reading somewhere that not all connectors fit ...

The power cables are special made for me . LMC FAT cables with Furutech  FI-11M(Cu)connectors in the wall end  and this is perfect into the back of the Kii Three speakers FI-C15 NCF :  http://www.furutech.com/2016/11/07/13978/

Head-fi:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, input username here said:

I honestly don't know.  I've never used the bundled cable. 

Like I said, not really a great way to make buying decisions.  But, the way my speakers are set up, wire-swapping is a real pain in the ass and so, this way, I just don't have to worry (or I worry less) that I'm getting the most out of my speakers ... and I like to think that peace of mind's priceless.  (Everything, the ultraRendu, the Kii CONTROL and the THREEs are all lashed up with AQ Cinnamon; the USB and PC's are from Kubala Sosna, and I am willing to go on record to say that those certainly make a positive difference in sound quality).

What I can say about the AQ is that the short runs of Cinnamon, which feature a very nice braided jacket, are much more attractive than a stock CAT5/6/7, though the longer runs use a disappointing rubber jacket.  Also, the connectors are certainly of higher quality than most others, at least from a visual perspective (though not nearly as cool-looking as the Telegartner RJ-45s on AQ's higher-end Ethernet cables).  Whether or not this all adds up to better sound quality, I really cannot say--it certainly might... and I doubt very much that it sounds any worse.

I also use the AQ Cinnamon CAT 7 cables..not for the better sound but more for the look, handling the cable  and better / tighter connectors into the Kii Threes. The USB cable from Aries G2 into Kii Control are Chord Signature ARAY USB

Head-fi:

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, baconbrain said:

I am building a set of power cables for my Kii’s and was wondering if anyone knows which terminal on the speaker power socket is phase? 

This is perfect into the back of the Kii Three speakers FI-C15 NCF :  http://www.furutech.com/2016/11/07/13978/

I'm using this on my special made power cables for the Kii Three's.....A good PC I think can improve the overall performance...The phase issue, I'm not so sure..

Head-fi:

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

[email protected]

[email protected]

also the contact form on the web site.

I've also called the phone number. It's a small company. If they are there you get one of the principals. 

I have also got extremely well support from Kii Audio. Thomas has answered my questions on mail and also help me updating  , first my Kii speakers to the latest software using TeamViewer,  and last updating also my Kii Control to v.0.3.

My Kii Three are made late 2016 and there was a minor issue with the speakers "automatic sleep mode", sometimes just one speaker was shutting down, this was before I got my Kii Control. The update performed from Germany using the web and TeamViewer solved this. Great Support !

Head-fi:

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, simonp said:

Agree with Gastronaut, if the Kii's sounds analytical its probably the source. I remember a demo with a lumin streamer, it wase also a bit with harshness.

The sound a have here is very natural and engaging. The Kii Control is a must have and don't forget the room acoustics.

Try a demo with the Kii's with the best available source. And you will find a very nice time machine wich takes you to the the music.

After almost a year happy together with the Kii Three's I will in no way describe the Kii Three as analytical speakers. They reproduce and reveal in an excellent way so that they can be used both for studio/home studio use and also with great pleasure in  your home hi-fi system.  They also do a much better job in my room according to the room- acoustic compared to all my former speakers.

I have a small home studio making som music. The final mixing are always done using the Kii Three in my living room.

From an earlier post 

Head-fi:

• 3 weeks later...

I have change my Ethernet cables to some  little bit shorter AudioQuest cables,  5 m between and 3 meter from Kii Control, not because I expected any changes in sound but just for the look and slightly better / tighter connectors on these cables .

I use a Chord Signature Array USB cable from my main source  Aries G2 to the Kii Control.

From my earlier post what I experienced improved my set up with the Kii Three:

"- Using better power cables with much better (Furutech) connectors also will have a positive impact on the overall soundstage.

- My original Kii stands are nice but the top-plate with the gasket will have a full connection  to the speakers. This causes the speaker stand to vibrate and also make unwanted resonances to my wooden floor and again had a bad impact on my turntable.

Solution: Fill the stands with sand and I have also used four extra rubber dampers on the top-plates  to lift the speakers aprox. 2-3 mm over the gasket. This also have improved the low frequency  and made the overall sound more "airy" and even a more  3D soundstage."

Head-fi:

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Also curious as to what this new product could be. The sub idea sounds interesting but I wonder how they would handle crossover, etc.? Another idea might be the XL Kii Control version.. ? I could get really excited about a Roon Ready Kii Control with App Support ... :)

Kii "teaser" on FB today ..... Any guesses ? :)

Kii teaser.jpg

Head-fi:

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

Someone seems to like them.:)

Regards Cazzesman

Yes,  be sure...:) The Kii Three's sounds very "analog"-ish with an overall superb presentation in my living room...and I have had som expensive speakers and amps in my room over the last 20 years. Now I looking forward to a serious demo of the BXT system and what this can add an already excellent sounding setup.

IMG_3082a.jpeg

Head-fi:

3 hours ago, ralfs said:

Agreed. I listened to the Kii Three + BXT system yesterday at both High End Munich and Hifi Deluxe and came to the same conclusion. This was the first time I heard the Kiis so I was excited, but it was a big let down.

Anemic, dry and artificial sounding is a good way to put it. I liked how they could play crystal clear at very high volume but I was not impressed by the sound itself. Definitely not worth the $30k price tag, in my opinion.

In comparison, 2 loudspeakers I really liked were KEF Blades and NEO by Genuin Audio.

IMG_20180511_123046.jpg

"Definitely not worth the $30k price tag, in my opinion."  you say and do a comparison with the 30 K$ KEF Blade..

Lets not forget the Blade is "just" a very good passive speaker . You then need a decent / expensive amp / preamp, a good DAC and at least some good cables , lets put on at least another 20-30 K$ . I have been there....

I don't recornize the description you make from listening to the full BXT system with my own experience listening to my Kii Three in my living room for a year now but I sure will do  my own listening to the full BXT setup (together with Aries G2) as soon as I can. 

The Kii Three and Auralic Aries G2 are a superb mach and have an almost "analog" wide and transparent presentation of the music, I think  more on the warm side.  I also use my turntable from time to time with my old records with excellent result.

Head-fi:

21 hours ago, atletico said:

"Definitely not worth the $30k price tag, in my opinion."  you say and do a comparison with the 30 K$ KEF Blade..

Lets not forget the Blade is "just" a very good passive speaker . You then need a decent / expensive amp / preamp, a good DAC and at least some good cables , lets put on at least another 20-30 K$ . I have been there....

I don't recornize the description you make from listening to the full BXT system with my own experience listening to my Kii Three in my living room for a year now but I sure will do  my own listening to the full BXT setup (together with Aries G2) as soon as I can. 

The Kii Three and Auralic Aries G2 are a superb mach and have an almost "analog" wide and transparent presentation of the music, I think  more on the warm side.  I also use my turntable from time to time with my old records with excellent result.

This is from a new report on the Norwegian Hifi Sentralen forum:

"The best sound in my ears (at an affordable cost) I heard  at HiFi Deluxe / Marriott: The floor-standing Kii BXT. A complete active speaker. It costs from 27,500 to 35,000 euros, depending on the design. But then you only need a PC or streamer as well."

I also received very good and promising reports about the Kii BXT from other "dedicated hi-fi" people participating  in Munich this weekend. 

Head-fi:

• 3 weeks later...

I have used my Kii Three's for enjoyable hi-fi listening now for over a year. For me these are just a damn good overall speaker/ speaker system. I don't care a second if they are used by many dedicated studio technicians.

I have had in my room over  the last 30 years many good systems an more expensive "hyperresolving"  amps and speakers.

The Kii Three's just sounds like music in my listening room and do not make me "listening -tiered" after just a short time..

I also have a little home studio where I can record my own music. The Kii Three speaker are not part of this , but it's nice to have a "sound quality" check on my own recordings on my main Kii Three setup before doing a final master..

So I really don't understand much of some of this arguments presented in this tread...

Now I'm looking forward to test the full BXT system.

Head-fi:

2 hours ago, sapporo said:

Music is always in the ear of the listener, so I am honestly happy when people like their private musical experience. But social life without differences  would be paradise  and some of us are not quite ready for that. Hence internet forums...

sapporo:

Do you own the Kii Three speakers yourself ..? For how long have you listenig to the Kii Three`s to come to your conclusons spread over the 9 postings in this tread ?  

My experinced are based on over one year with seriously listning to these speakers and over 30 year experience with hi-fi equipment , also in much higher price ranges. I have .also worked with recording music in studios and several different studio monitors. 

Head-fi:

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, baconbrain said:

Not wanting to sound like a fanboy, but as I sit here this afternoon and listen to music, I cannot help but to be amazed at how good the Kii’s really sound. Sometimes it is nothing short of magical ...

Just the same feeling here..? In my living room the Kii Three's outperforms more expensive systems I'v had over the  last 10 years with several speakers standing exactly on the same spot in my living room.

Head-fi:

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Is that Curious George in the cabinet?

This is the famous Scandinavian monkey from the danish designer Kay Bojesen  https://www.kaybojesen-denmark.com

Head-fi:

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Craig1512 said:

My question to forum members here is about using a Turntable with the Kii Three. I have a VPI Prime turntable with Ortofon 2M Black cart and want to go direct to the Kii Three XLR input. I have AudioQuest Yukon XLR cables. I would be really interested to know about how the Kii Three sound with a TT and phono stage and which brand and model phono stage forum members here are using.

There appears to be a limited range of phono stage pre amps with XLR output. Looking for advice here on the best phono stage to use.

Thanks

Craig

I use a Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II Moving Coil Cartridge together with the simple but very nice sounding REGA Phono MC preamp.  http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/rega-ania-fono-mc-mc-cartridge-and-phono-stage

I use the REGA with a special made 2 X 2,5 metre phono to XLR cable direct into the back of each Kii Three speaker. All controlled from the Kii Control. Works very nice.

The output signal from this turntable system into Kii Three are about -10dB compared to my digital sources but this is no problem in my living room with a max volum on the Kii Control set at 85 - 87 for playing vinyl is more than loud enough ..

Head-fi: